Poll: What parents would you prefer to have?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Loving parents vs rich parents

If you had a choice in the matter, would you prefer to have (have had) parents that deeply love and care about you, but only have an average economy, or rather parents that do not really care about you, but are incredibly rich (say, dozens millions dollars net worth)?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Loving parents, doesn't matter how rich they are if they neglect you.

Deleted
    Loving hands down.

Wealth doesn't really phase me much now I earn enough to sustain myself and indulge every so often.

Being a kid and getting spoilt like my girlfriend did when younger messed her relationships up with her parents, they were both absent and tried to make up lost time with money.

She got £1000 when she was fucking 11...

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    If you had a choice in the matter, would you prefer to have (have had) parents that deeply love and care about you, but only have an average economy, or rather parents that do not really care about you, but are incredibly rich (say, dozens millions dollars net worth)?
    Loving.
    More than money or success in career paths, I think the most important aspect of the human life is character, empathy, and self-reliance. Many of these traits are defeated or muffled if you are born into wealth. There is nothing more enjoyable than fighting for your spot and knowing that you earned it regardless of where you are. And that struggle keeps you grounded as well. I'd rather not be robbed of the lessons learned from failure and success. Also more than loving, I'd want parents who enable individuality while maintaining realism. People would be better off trusting in themselves rather than the opinions of whatever group of people are popular at the moment. For the sense of the poll, however, I am throwing that in with loving.

Deleted
    Why not both?

Just saying...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Why not both?

Just saying...
    I'm both, but I'm not wealthy.

To paraphrase Bob Marley, "I'm not that kind of rich".

I'm sure they aren't COMPLETELY mutually exclusive. I know money usually goes to the head when you have a lot and loving your child soon becomes spoiling them, but i'm sure there's at least one well-off family out there that knows the difference. I certainly wouldn't want distant parents, and i'm a humble person so money isn't too big for me. However i've always been a lone wolf kinda person so I wouldn't want anything on the harsh end of the loving spectrum either.
    Last edited by Mellrod; 2016-01-07 at 10:18 AM.

Deleted
    Id say loving parents that have TIME, lots of time for me and are at least well off.

I dont see much difference between loving parents who work all day and are never there or are too tired to do anything when home and rich ones who dont really care on an emotional level.

Having directly experienced both types. Loving parents, it won't even matter how much a person gets from money. In the end they just want love. Freedom with structure, independence to grow in their own direction, and foremost love.

Deleted
    Loving parents. Must suck to grow up in a family without love.

Rich but indifferent.

I had rich and loving parents, but if i had to chose between only loving, only rich, id pick rich without a second thought.
    Love, validation, intimacy, values, learning? all of that you can get from friends, lovers, media, schooling. As long as the parents aren't actually harming you, its fine, parenting has surprisingly little effect on children as we don't really spend that much time with them, and after a certain age we make ourselves unless the individual is an extremely passive actor in their life.

Wealth however will grant you access to a lot of things that will have an actual impact in your life and those around you. You can find love and validation elsewhere, money doesnt grow on trees though.

Rich parents are just as likely to be loving, if not more likely than poor parents.

The only thing that rich parents are less likely to be is strict, which is a problem for raising kids so I would say loving is more important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Rich parents are just as likely to be loving, if not more likely than poor parents.
    What on earth are you basing that assumption on?

Batman would be pretty bummed out in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Rich but indifferent.

I had rich and loving parents, but if i had to chose between only loving, only rich, id pick rich without a second thought.
    Love, validation, intimacy, values, learning? all of that you can get from friends, lovers, media, schooling. As long as the parents aren't actually harming you, its fine, parenting has surprisingly little effect on children as we don't really spend that much time with them,
    This entire statement not only shows the outcome if you have rich but indifferent. but also how it will go on to hurt future generations of this guys family.. he feels his parents were loving, yet he didn't spend enough time with them to the point where they had an impact on him? yeah.. that's not loving parenting.

let's be real, any of us who are actual parents not just wannabes/haters on the whole.. parenting thing know its loving. all the way.. there was no loving parent on earth that is on their deathbed going.. gee, i loved my kids, attended all sports games/events, saw everything, walked her down the aisle.. but I do wish i threw more money at her...

there is however a myriad of wealthy people filled with regret that they didn't spend more time/effort with young ones.

it's really not even a question in my mind, and as blase as this may sound.. anybody who picks rich but indifferent was likely raised that way and thinks they are ok.. but even in the posting above.. you can see the damage it really did.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    What on earth are you basing your assumption that rich parents are somehow neglectful? Its senseless.
    Higher educated parents work less than poorer ones (higher income), likely to be better educated towards not beating their children and providing stimulation and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    They are probably more likely to be better people in general with more time to spend with their kids. Of course this is no always the case but having a financial base to support children is important.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    What on earth are you basing your assumption that rich parents are somehow neglectful? Its senseless.
    Higher educated parents work less than poorer ones (higher income), likely to be better educated towards not beating their children and providing stimulation and so forth.
    Yeah I agree.

- - - Updated - - -

People will try to find any way they can of condemning rich people and I think this is a result of that.

How about changing the question to "rich parents who neglect their children or loving, but poor, parents who irresponsibly keep reproducing even though they have not enough money to properly support their kids"?

That would be more interesting
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    How about changing the question to "rich parents who neglect their children or loving, but poor, parents who irresponsibly keep reproducing even though they have not enough money to properly support their kids"?

That would be more interesting
    I think that is the premise that most people had when they gave their answer which is a bit telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I think that is the premise that most people had when they gave their answer which is a bit telling.
    Not really, original question has "average economy" instead of "poor, who irresponsibly keep reproducing even though they have not enough money to properly support their kids". Average economy to me means enough money for all the basic needs and financial security plus some extra money for "luxuries".
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.