Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    Deleted

Children who spend time with their fathers have a higher IQ

Children who spend large amounts of time with their fathers have higher IQs, according to a new study.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...higher-IQ.html

Strong fatherly involvement in their early life can also improve a child's future career prospects, the research shows.
    Academics at the University of Newcastle, who carried out the study, also found that men tended to pay more attention to their sons than their daughters.

The researchers warned that it was not enough for parents to live together, but that a father should be actively involved in a child's life to benefit their development.

The study looked at more than 11,000 British men and women, born in 1958.

The scientists asked their mothers how often the father of their child took part in activities with them, including reading, organising outings and general "quality time".

The findings, published in the journal Evolution and Human Behaviour, show that those children whose fathers spent more time with them had a higher IQ and were more socially mobile than those who had received little attention.

The differences were still detectable by the age of 42.

Dr Daniel Nettle, who led the research, said: "What was surprising about this research was the real sizeable difference in the progress of children who benefited from paternal interest and how thirty years later, people whose dads were involved are more upwardly mobile.

"The data suggest that having a second adult involved during childhood produces benefits in terms of skills and abilities that endure throughout adult life," he added.

Jon Davies, chief executive for Families Need Fathers, said: "We hope that research like this will lead to the government to reconsider how poorly served separated families often are and how a child needs a father as well as mother."

TLDR: men and families are important, feminism is bad for children

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Wasn't one of the aims of feminism that mothers weren't supposed to be the only childcarers, therefore they were pushing that fathers spent more time with their children?

Way to shoehorn your agenda into the topic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Wasn't one of the aims of feminism that mothers weren't supposed to be the only childcarers, therefore they were pushing that fathers spent more time with their children?
    That was the "old and sane" feminism, not the Internet feminism.

Would that mean kids raised by 2 gay men would be smarter then?
    Or is it just that both parents spend time with them instead of just one of them?

Probably because if you actually have a dad you're not going to go into stupid choices like Gender Studies to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    And you still don't let the gays adopt..

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Way to shoehorn your agenda into the topic.
    He's not wrong though.

Feminism literally caused the shit that means women are seen as better child careers when this is factually wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    And you still don't let the gays adopt..
    Gays generally can't act like fathers.

Also Gay couples generally end up being shit parents.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-01-10 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warbrand View Post
    He's not wrong though.

Feminism literally caused the shit that means women are seen as better child careers when this is factually wrong.
    That belief predates feminism by a long time. Feminism generally aims to reduce the impact of gender stereotypes.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    No, that is not what the article is stating. This is a different point from the article altogether.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Deleted
    So all we need to do is completely turn the bucket, and have all the men be childcares and such. Sounds great, I am all for it

Not shocking. My dad would do science things with me, teach me how things worked. Id watch him build things, and do doughnuts in icy parking lots. Or we would even play ninja turtles

My mother would color, and if I was lucky she'd bake with me or play barbies. She had no intrest in teaching me about the world, except the odd things I never even asked like 'did you know just because your cat is fixed doesnt mean another cat cant put his penis in her vagina'

. Thats creepy mom. She would always put things in such a way that I found it uncomfortable.
    Last edited by Ayla; 2016-01-10 at 06:41 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Shhhh, let Xarim have his shadowboxing in peace, it makes him happy

Or it could mean that children that were mainly raised in a dysfunctional family with only one or none caring parent might have negative influence on their development.
    The counter group - children who spend (mainly) time with their mothers - seems not to be part of that study. This would have been the interesting comparison.

15+ Year Old Account
    The man who conducted the study says this shows, that both parents are important to a child. Man from a men's advocacy group says men are disadvantaged, but the more important sex.

Former seems a little more...objective and scientific?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    That belief predates feminism by a long time. Feminism generally aims to reduce the impact of gender stereotypes.
    That's factually wrong though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart Maiden View Post
    No, that is not what the article is stating. This is a different point from the article altogether.
    Actually no, it directly states right there that Those children with men in their lives to act as father figures were smarter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Excuse me, sir, I'm going to need some proof of that.
    And you could have it all,
    my Empire of Dirt.
    I will let you down,
    I will make you Hurt.

15+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Actually no, it directly states right there that Those children with men in their lives to act as father figures were smarter.
    It states that children with a second adult in their lives were smarter. This really has less to do with the importance on a traditional father figure than it does having more than a single individual raise a child.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    How is that counterpoint, exactly?
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh. Another correlative study from the social sciences. No shit, having more role models and more stable resources is good.