Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question officers cancelled a raid for stupid reasons?

do you think its ok for officers to cancel a scheduled raid last minute in honor of david bowie?

i don't understand, it's not like his family or anyone will ever know...
    Hi

I .. can't say i've ever had a raid cancelled for something silly (in relation to WoW.. there's no reason to cancel a raid because a celebrity that noone in the raid is close to died).

Seriously.. it was cancelled for that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    do you think its ok for officers to cancel a scheduled raid last minute in honor of david bowie?

i don't understand, it's not like his family or anyone will ever know...
    Yeah that's a monumentally dumb reason to cancel a raid. You have permission to point at that officer and laugh at him/her from here on out and, in years to come, make jokes that begin with 'remember the time soandso cancelled the raid because David Bowie died...'

Deleted
    I'd instantly quit such a joke guild. Dont even know who that person was if it werent for the people posting about it on mmo-champ.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last minute cancels for such a reason would have me questioning if that group of people should really be running a guild...

Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Hunter| Warlock | Shaman | Paladin
    "In the light.. We are one"

No. It's not ok to disadvantage all of the people who were ready to go and had their evening scheduled to participate in a raid over something so trivial as a celebrity death. It's not like they were related to, or knew him personally.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

There's a solution, offer to set up the raid for those who want to raid and raid lead it.

I did this when the RL in my (new) guild had a case of sudden acute burnout a year ago and cancelled all raids, just said he can stop all he wants but I'll be there at raid time and if there are 19 others we'll be raiding. Turns out there were, we raided and I took over raid leading :P

In other words; don't like how they do it, do it better yourself.

I canceled a raid in my alt guild cuz i wanted to go see a movie at release .

Granted I said 1 shot blast furnace for first kill and we can log off cuz fuck maidens and we did. We still cleared the tier meh.

Damn, you people hard hardcore! Wow is a game, the raid will be there the day after also.....
    Maybe some of the officers and guild members where fans and wanted to witness some ceremony or something.

you guys are really serious about something that is just a game.
    If you log out, everything wil be waiting for you to log on again, whenever that may be.
    Nothing in life will wait for you, every moment passed is passed for ever.

I imagine that gamer nerds would have a hard time imagining that anything else matters in life. But hey. Can't you people run your raid without the one guy who happens to not feel like it?

Deleted
    Glad I've never been in such a group. We kept raiding even when one of our tanks was in hospital after getting one of his testicles removed due to a growth.

As a Bowie fan I'm actually slightly offended. Come on! Do they really think that Bowie would like people to stop having fun just to mourn his death? What an arrogant way to try to make yourself look important.

The only valid reason would be that the person is from David Bowie's family. Otherwise.... this guild is going to fold for lack of motivated officers.

Deleted
    Dumb reason.

But to them, it may sound better than "cancelled because I'm feeling burned out and can't be bothered shepherding you fuckers through Iskar knowing we'll wipe 10 times because that one guy can't throw the goddamned ball"

Should have had a couple of mins silence on vent or something, TBH i think calling off the raid is a little over the top,
    if i was in that raid and people said they were calling it off and i hear the reason some celebrity had died i would be like... errmm so? people die all the time, if it was someones family or loved one then i would be more compassionate and understanding but a celeb?.. really??? ... i dread to think of the day when Stephen Hawkins passes away .. "nerds" every will be taking the month of to mourn .. yeap its silly :P

How i see it is, pay your respects in your own way but dont make other people do the same as you just because you are leading the raid or an officer/gm, its not fair,
    What if say maybe 9 or 10 people from that raid can only raid on that one night lets say on Sundays only, they then get told sorry i know you have been looking forward to it all week but u cant raid tonight ..... David Bowie is dead...... yeah i be pretty annoyed (especially if it was a progression night)

when i hear someone has pass i try not to be sad and then i am reminded by this quote
    Yoda: Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is.
    Anakin Skywalker: What must I do, Master Yoda?
    Yoda: Train yourself to let go... of everything you fear to lose.
    Anyway i'm babbling, point is i can see why the raiders did it but i don't think they should have done it, not for a celeb anyway :/
    Last edited by Whitehatter; 2016-01-11 at 01:13 PM.

If a number of them are long time ardent fans then they wont have the presence of mind to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    If a number of them are long time ardent fans then they wont have the presence of mind to play.
    No. Just no. There's no way you're such a die hard fan of a musician, actor, or other kind of celebrity that you will be too rattled to play a video game. They have zero impact on you. Their death just means content from them stops. It is a hilariously dumb excuse for wanting to slack off. It's the whole "omg nooo robbie"-thing all over again when Robbie williams died. Were they great contributers? Yes. Were they important in your life, enough so as to be something that should prevent you from playing? Not unless you actually knew the guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    No. Just no. There's no way you're such a die hard fan of a musician, actor, or other kind of celebrity that you will be too rattled to play a video game. They have zero impact on you. Their death just means content from them stops. It is a hilariously dumb excuse for wanting to slack off. It's the whole "omg nooo robbie"-thing all over again when Robbie williams died. Were they great contributers? Yes. Were they important in your life, enough so as to be something that should prevent you from playing? Not unless you actually knew the guys.
    That might be true for "normal" people, but there are fanatics out there that follow artists around on their tours etc. They will probably be genuinely upset about his death.

Seriously? WTF? Sounds like to me a few officers didn't want to raid today.... unless they personally knew him... yeah. laugh.
    Yes, I draw my own avatars.