The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account

Differences between F2P and Preferred/Subscribed SWTOR

OK, with a new computer rig i tried SWTOR as F2P. From the start, finding restrictions on F2P characters is fairly annoying, but i haven't found a single piece of info where all the differences between Subscribed, Preferred and F2P are being recited with detail. Managed to level to 13, but i discover restrictions as i move further, instead of knowing them all beforehand, so i can decide whether to go Sub or Pref. If they are vague about this intentionally, so to "force" (pun intended) me buying Cartel Coins or a Sub, too bad i won't bait. Already angered with all those little orange buttons (Unlock with Cartel Coins) in my UI.

7+ Year Old Account
    This has a bit more info on the topic and lists the major differences between the account types in SWTOR.

https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/wiki/f2p

10+ Year Old Account
    to be honest i started this game since i thought cool a f2p game but i went and subbed because of the huge limitation a f2p player has..
    Retired

I'm pretty sure they have this information on the official website.

Deleted
    I haven't found satisfying answers from websites, and I have never been f2p (bought the original game box & got a free month of sub => always been at least pref), so I don't have personal experience.

But apparently the most significant restrictions for f2p are:

- credit cap at 200k
    - no personal gargo hold access (only legacy cargo, afaik)
    - no leveling past 50
    - no Sprint until lvl 10 or so
    - unable to use other forms of chat than /s until lvl 10
    - limited use of general chat (1 message/minute or so)
    - only one crew skill

Preferred status has considerably less restrictions:

- credit cap at 350k
    - slightly reduced xp gain after lvl 20
    - no chat/cargo bay restrictions
    - level cap depends on when you have last been a sub, or whether you have bought the expansions or not
    - 2 crew skills
    - stronghold prestige effect on Conquest gains seems to be reduced by 50%

...and of course both f2p and pref have all the usual artifact gear/ops/character customization restrictions.

Plus all vendor activity, be it credits or other currency, tends to be more costly than for subs (gear costs more crystals, swapping mods and customizing gear costs more credits and so forth).

Subs, of course, have no restrictions other than the weekly ops lockouts.
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2016-01-20 at 12:12 AM.

The "free" version is more or less a trial; you can level (though it's kind of a hassle) and do things like RP on it, but if you intend to actually play the game for any length of time it's better to sub. Or at least buy the time cards from the site. Doing so gives you preferred status and all of the expacs except the current one.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge