Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Blizzard power outages

Hey guys, with the storm coming I thought id ask you what you guys do when the power comes out. If you live in the DC area, this storm is going to be big. My area is supposed to get ~18 inches. I heard its going to be wet snow due to the temperatures and so power outages is likely. What do you like to do? If it goes out, Ill probably light a few candles, drink and play cards.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Hey guys, with the storm coming I thought id ask you what you guys do when the power comes out. If you live in the DC area, this storm is going to be big. My area is supposed to get ~18 inches. I heard its going to be wet snow due to the temperatures and so power outages is likely. What do you like to do? If it goes out, Ill probably light a few candles, drink and play cards.
    Nintendo DS:
    - Chrono Trigger.
    - Soma Bringer.
    - Final Fantasy 4.
    - Zeldas.

Nintendo 3DS:
    - Xenoblade Chronicles.
    - Bravely Default.
    - Tales of the Abyss.
    - Zeldas.

I also have emulators on my cellphone, but most games I play on it are strategy turn based, since action rpgs are pretty hard to play with the crappy controls. In this case I would recomend playing Pokemons, Final Fantasy VI, Golden Sun or some lufia.
    Last edited by Knolan; 2016-01-22 at 02:13 PM.

charge up your phone and other devices before it goes down, have some meals prepped and a bunch of water. Board games work decently, if you have candles for light (don't drain your phone battery for that unless you have to).
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by Knolan View Post
    Nintendo DS:
    - Chrono Trigger.
    - Soma Bringer.
    - Final Fantasy 4.
    - Zeldas.

Nintendo 3DS:
    - Xenoblade Chronicles.
    - Bravely Default.
    - Tales of the Abyss.
    - Zeldas.

I also have emulators on my cellphone, but most games I play on it are strategy turn based, since action rpgs are pretty hard to play with the crappy controls. In this case I would recomend playing Pokemons, Final Fantasy VI, Golden Sun or some lufia.
    I don't have any hand helds. wish I did. im just planning to get drunk until sunday when I can drive to my moms and go sledding.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    charge up your phone and other devices before it goes down, have some meals prepped and a bunch of water. Board games work decently, if you have candles for light (don't drain your phone battery for that unless you have to).
    That's a good idea. I have a portable charger that ill have to remember to charge up when I get home.

Eat, drink, sleep.
    i9 9900K | Aorus Z390 Master | 32GB DDR4 | 2080 Ti | LG-UK650W

10+ Year Old Account
    Play table top games. Drink some beer. Play in the snow. Read a book. Play on my DS. Play guitar.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Whenever I lose power from a hurricane I make sure my stuff is charged. Would also recommend some books once the batteries dies.

7+ Year Old Account
    my house has a fully finished basement work shop with all hand tools for wood working and hand engraving. Furnace in the house has a backup wood stove that goes to the same chimney as the oil firnace and my living room and bedroom are basically libraries with comfy couches. let teh power go out my life will remain unchanged lol comfy and entertained playing board games and reading with the wife and kiddos
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

usually pokemon.
    theory crafting, breeding, and training.

i usually end up giving away perfect IV pre-trained LvL50 pokemon for shits and giggles.
    we are his...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzPuK1vib_c

Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    This is like creationists trying to smear evolution by calling it a religion.

You should always have at least a few days food (stuff that doesn't strictly require electricity to eat) and water so hopefully that isn't an issue.

Your next issue is heat.
    If you have a fireplace/wood stove make sure you have plenty of firewood. If you have never managed a wood stove/fireplace, you need more wood than you think you do - trust me.
    If you do not have a fireplace/wood stove make sure you have a portable SAFE propane heater. I got a "Mr. Buddy" one with a few propane tanks and an adapter to hook one of the large gas grill propane tanks to. I haven't used it yet so I am hesitant to recommend it but it had glowing reviews on Amazon. Regardless of what you choose make sure it is safe - if you can't make sure it is safe you are probably better off just being cold.

Lastly is entertainment. Not only do I recommend a handheld like a DS, but I recommend getting a solar charger. I have one and it is the BEST $20 I have ever spent. It takes a few hours to charge and in the sun it only gets a half charge, but that half charge is a nice way to add a few hours a day of playing to your DS if the power is out for awhile. You can also charge it in advance to full by hooking it up to a computer.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need"
    ~Vernon Howard

"The truly rich are those who enjoy what they have"
    ~Yiddish Proverb

Read a book. you can't go wrong with Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

- Shovel snow for hours on end.
    - Visit people who have power.
    - I have a few external USB chargers that will fully charge my phone so I can play my games or watch movies if needed.
    - There is a reason why there is always a spike in babies being born 9 months after storms and long power outages.

I lived just outside of DC for over twenty years and rarely had an extended power outage. The only one I can think of, off hand, was during a hurricane when we lost power for a few hours over night. We just had a hurricane party and got turbo wasted.

We have them all the time in the backwoods of NH, though. Most of us have generators and enough gas to power most of a house for a week, so it's never an issue.

LOL at the prepper post.

Do not live in that area, but the house has a back up generator tied to the natural gas line along with a gas fireplace in the main room and stove is gas.

Screwed if something also shuts down the gas lines, but have not seen that yet, live up north.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Read a book. you can't go wrong with Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.
    Great read, that one.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    My PCs and modem are hooked up to an uninterruptable power supply, so I'll have ~4 hours of continued PC use. If it goes longer than that, well... I guess I'll play Fallout Shelter and watch Key/Peele on my phone.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noidentity View Post
    - There is a reason why there is always a spike in babies being born 9 months after storms and long power outages.
    This!

If you lack the ingredients, you can also do some training using a tablet and some tissues.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnesworth View Post
    I lived just outside of DC for over twenty years and rarely had an extended power outage. The only one I can think of, off hand, was during a hurricane when we lost power for a few hours over night. We just had a hurricane party and got turbo wasted.

We have them all the time in the backwoods of NH, though. Most of us have generators and enough gas to power most of a house for a week, so it's never an issue.

LOL at the prepper post.
    I live eastern Maryland. Hurricanes when we get them sometimes knock out power for 3-4 days at a time. Guess we aren't BGE's high priority. It was IRENE and maybe SANDY that did it within the past 10 years. Last hurricane I was lucky and power didn't go out but it was awful outside. I just stayed in with a few friends and had a lan party.

Im just worried about my mom tbh. She lives by herself, 25 mins away. She will be fine but if her basement starts to flood I wanna be there to help. I live with my gf though and I know she doesn't want to get snowed in for 2 days with my mom so im gonna stay at my house and hope nothing happens.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I thought id ask you what you guys do when the power comes out.
    Tell it that's cool, it's sexuality is none of my concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Just a heads up, the weather is supposed to continue all day tomorrow. I wouldn't expect the roads to be clear any time soon on Sunday.
    Im hoping by midday I can at least get there in my truck if I take it slow. Its pretty much a straight shot its just 25 mins away.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Tell it that's cool, it's sexuality is none of my concern.
    Lol didn't even realize that typo.