Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuush View Post
    Am I the only one who was thinking about this, when reading the title?
    No, and I'm dissapointed to see this on page 2 and not on 1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    You will only get a decent stable Linux that is user friendly and that can be used by the majority of computer users if you sell it so you can support it like any other company does with their products, since this is the opposite of what Linux currently is, it's unlikely to change.

Or maybe they need to do like game companies, give the base version away for free and sell the rest as DLC.

Then again seeing people stick to their old OS like a religion, who am I to think this will ever change.
    Only if a big company does the hard work of standardise it and make it usable. Google is probably the only one that could do it.

Meanwhile, if we want to use a polished UNIX like OS we can use OSX =p

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Only if a big company does the hard work of standardise it and make it usable. Google is probably the only one that could do it.
    Considering that Google has Goobuntu, and that Google contributes patches to Ubuntu, I don't think we'll see a Google desktop Linux. Canonical with Ubuntu also won a contract with AT&T.

In my opinion it's going to be Canonical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Considering that Google has Goobuntu, and that Google contributes patches to Ubuntu, I don't think we'll see a Google desktop Linux. Canonical with Ubuntu also won a contract with AT&T.

In my opinion it's going to be Canonical.
    Weren't they working on something to substitute X11? Guess they're at the right way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Weren't they working on something to substitute X11? Guess they're at the right way.
    Ubuntu uses Xorg but in 16.04 it will finally switch to Mir. Mir was controversial cause there's also Wayland that's suppose to replace X11 but nobody sees Wayland yet. So it makes sense to make the switch to Mir. Fedora is suppose to use wayland by default soon. Won't matter to developers cause the differences aren't exposed to them. Should see a performance boost, simpler drivers, and a bit friendlier to developers. As long as developers use libraries like SDL, then this shouldn't be a problem.

Kinda surprised Mint 18 will also use Mir. Was hoping they'd use Wayland.