Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Roostercogburn View Post
    My friends do that. They won't take raises, a higher position, or work past a certain set of hours unless it will result in an actual "in pocket" profit for them. I don't blame them.

And the sad this is that people are being played. Look at the current tax situation. The rich already pay way more. But if you think rich people get paid millions in cash, you are retarded. A rich Bank CEO will get a few mil, but like 70% of that huge ass bonus and pay in the contract is Stocks and shit. Stocks and shit that is exempt from your typical tax code.

ANY POLITICIAN TALKING ABOUT CHANGING INCOME TAX TO GET RICH TO PAY HIGHER TAXES IS PLAYING YOU.
    That "70% of that huge ass bonus and pay in the contract is Stocks and shit" would be covered under the capital gains tax changes he's talking about. So in this case, at least for that reason, he's not playing anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Whats to stop someone from reaching that 250k mark and saying screw this im going on a long vacation?
    Tax brackets?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

15+ Year Old Account
    You think it's fair to ask someone to pay over 50% of what they earn in taxes? Whats to stop someone from reaching that 250k mark and saying screw this im going on a long vacation?

Hell im not even against the single payer system IN THEORY, I just don't trust the govt to run it.
    I don't trust our government to run it.

You think it's fair to ask someone to pay over 50% of what they earn in taxes? Whats to stop someone from reaching that 250k mark and saying screw this im going on a long vacation?

Hell im not even against the single payer system IN THEORY, I just don't trust the govt to run it.
    I think its good to remove incentives from earning more than 250k. If theres a market to make more money from it then someone else will cover it so another job is created.

My friends do that. They won't take raises, a higher position, or work past a certain set of hours unless it will result in an actual "in pocket" profit for them. I don't blame them.

And the sad this is that people are being played. Look at the current tax situation. The rich already pay way more. But if you think rich people get paid millions in cash, you are retarded. A rich Bank CEO will get a few mil, but like 70% of that huge ass bonus and pay in the contract is Stocks and shit. Stocks and shit that is exempt from your typical tax code.

ANY POLITICIAN TALKING ABOUT CHANGING INCOME TAX TO GET RICH TO PAY HIGHER TAXES IS PLAYING YOU.
    I may have to next year if my income growth remains the same, but im also partially self employed so it gets complicated. It's bad enough that I got told I make too much for a earned income tax credit.

So...yeah I made good decisions and didn't have a child until I was in my mid thirties, and get nothing back while Rufus down the street has 3 kids by 20 and gets 6k+ in tax returns while working part time..

Fuckin A

Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    I am not opposed to tax increases in and of themselves. I also take what economists say with a big grain of salt. The biggest thing I'd be worried about though, would be mismanagement of revenue. I would gladly give an additional 5% of my earnings for a single-payer healthcare system. The problem is that there's absolutely no guarantee that we get anything meaningful out of these increased taxes, if they get discussed by the senate at all. Our government is notoriously bad at getting anything good done, and the things that actually are in the best interest of the majority of the country have to be changed, trimmed, and compromised so that whichever party is currently in the minority can still get their stab at relevancy in.

The taxes themselves, I could care less about, I'm just worried if we'll actually get anything out of them.
    This is a very valid concern. I too would like to see the government get spending under control and actually get money where it is needed first.

Otherwise I see politicians arguing about how we need to tax people even more cause 52% of their salary is not enough to run a government. Also, Bernie will not win if this makes it main stream (if it ha snot already). Americans don't like taxes.

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/22/1081479...ders-tax-rates
    Right, wrong, or indifferent, thats a lot of tax increases.
    i wouldn't mind high taxes as long as everyone in the country has access to basic needs at all times - i dont like the idea of paying more and it not going to good use

I don't trust our government to run it.
    Good point.

Others may manage it, but our gov't the way its run...no thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean leaving the country? Well then I imagine there will be a well-paid job opening!
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    That article is literal bullshit...

The guy even lays out in bullet points how his numbers are fudged... And that is on top of the fact that they are entirely made up in the first place.

I am not opposed to tax increases in and of themselves. I also take what economists say with a big grain of salt. The biggest thing I'd be worried about though, would be mismanagement of revenue. I would gladly give an additional 5% of my earnings for a single-payer healthcare system. The problem is that there's absolutely no guarantee that we get anything meaningful out of these increased taxes, if they get discussed by the senate at all. Our government is notoriously bad at getting anything good done, and the things that actually are in the best interest of the majority of the country have to be changed, trimmed, and compromised so that whichever party is currently in the minority can still get their stab at relevancy in.

The taxes themselves, I could care less about, I'm just worried if we'll actually get anything out of them.
    Well put again mr. Godly

Increasing taxes does no good if the money is mismanaged or re appropriated....kind of like SS

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    You mean leaving the country? Well then I imagine there will be a well-paid job opening!
    Your kind of missing the point, not many people are going to be willing to work while receiving less than half of what they should be earning.

Deleted
    Good point.

Are there actually any politicians that run on the grounds of just making the government better and more efficient?

OP is incredibly biased against Sanders, so don't actually take his interpretation of the code as true.

It's not about struggling or not, it's the moral principle of telling someone that that have to pay over half of what they make in taxes. Whats the point of working?
    To continue to make over $250,000 year?
    One of these days, I should probably figure out a decent signature.

7+ Year Old Account
    Taxes are not a bad thing if they go towards the betterment of all.
    Individualistic greed seems to shine through when talking about them however.

Not directing this at anyone in particular. Just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

15+ Year Old Account
    Good point.

Oh hey, never realized you changed your avatar. I had this vague suspicion that I would disagree with you more often than not, but couldn't remember why... So, hi Tony.

good solid taxplan that will work for America

Stocks are exempt from taxable income in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    That "70% of that huge ass bonus and pay in the contract is Stocks and shit" would be covered under the capital gains tax changes he's talking about. So in this case, at least for that reason, he's not playing anyone.
    While i admire that. It won't happen. I promise you. You can quote me and and post about how I was wrong if you want. That is how sure I am.

The government wants people to invest. They will not do anything to even partially disincentivize that. Which is why the crazy old guy (Bernie) is the only one talking about it. Not even Warren Buffet would touch that.

But hey, maybe you are right. Maybe it will happen. Still doubt it.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Yes. They are subject to another code. Basically handled separately from income in most cases.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    We're also one of only three countries in the entire world that does not offer any paid maternity leave. There's...a lot of interesting things going on here, especially in regard to the rights of workers as opposed to companies that the individuals that represent them.