10+ Year Old Account

Looking to buy some speakers, not sure where to start.

I've been wanting some speakers for a while now. But haven't a clue where to start in terms of actual quality.

Primarily used for movies and gaming (non competitive).

Ideally looking only to spend around £100 ($150) I like to think I have a decent ear for audio quality so if its better off to spend that extra couple of £'s I'd be inclined to do so.

Would I need to have an amp? Not really an Amp but I have a Xonar U7 dac if that helps

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

15+ Year Old Account
    To get sound you need the following functionalities:

1. DAC
    Converting the digital audio signal of the computer into an analog signal. This can be e.g.:
    - onboard sound of the motherboard
    - dedicated sound card
    - external usb sound card

2. Amplifier
    While the unamplified output of the DAC is powerful enough to drive in-ear-headphones and most normal headphones (at a reasonable volume), it is way to weak for speakers.

3. Speakers
    Converting the (amplified) analog, electrical signal into sound waves.

As you have the DAC already covered (Xonar U7), you need Amplifier + Speakers. You can get those separate (amp + passive speakers), but in your price range it is usually easier to get active speakers, which have an integrated amp.

You can look into the typical selection of computer/multimedia speakers, but i would steer you more into the active-near-field-monitor corner. Those usually have a more "true" sound (meaning, the try to reflect the sound of the original recording and not have any weird amplifications of certain frequency ranges).
    For the best sound i recommend simple stereo speakers (2.0) and not some woofer/satellite 2.1 system. Also try to get speakers with at least an 4" driver (3" is to small decent low frequencies).

My personal recommendation would be Alesis Elevate 5. I personally have the model with an integrated DAC (Alesis M1Active 520USB) and they sound amazing. Definitely enough power to also let your neighbors enjoy the movie you are watching.

Alternatives in the same price range would be:
    Mackie CR4
    Behringer MS40
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

10+ Year Old Account
    So if I was to spend a little more and get an amp + speaker separate. How much extra would that be.

I hear a lot of people have amps for headphones so having 1 is a good thing to have?

I always thought having a subwoofer was a good thing? I really should learn more about this area ������
    Last edited by JP1o; 2016-02-02 at 05:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're looking at several hundred more if you want to go for the separate amp + speaker option, if you want decent quality that is. There are mini amplifiers available and one of those + a decent set of passive speakers could go for something like 200£, but imo it's not worth it. Since you already have an ok DAC in the form of the Xonar U7, you'll simply get more bang for your buck if you get active speakers in the price range you're considering.

Now if you wanna move up to 500£+ then we can start talking about amplifier (usually in the form of a home theater receiver, which includes both DAC and amplifier) + passive speakers, but below that price point I'd pretty much always recommend active speakers.

Xonar U7 has an integrated headphone amplifier which I assume is of decent quality, getting something better is fairly pointless until you start spending several hundreds on your headphones.

Subwoofers exist to give more punch to the lower sound frequencies and act as a "help" to your main speakers, in a budget system there's absolutely no reason to get a subwoofer, spend the money on better main speakers instead and they'll be able to handle low frequencies good enough for most.

100£ is a low budget for speakers, don't expect miracles. Biernot had some good recommendations though, I doubt you can get anything better at that price unless you find something 2nd hand.

EDIT: For some price examples; I consider myself to have a sort of entry system into the world of "good sound" and it consists of:

- A Onkyo NR515 Reciever, a combined DAC and amplifier getting the signal from my PC and sending it to the speaker (simplified ;P)

- A pair of Jamo S506 floorstanding speakers.

This is a pretty basic setup as I said, just a reciever and 2 speakers, nothing luxurious as both items are basically entry-midrange products. Total cost of this was 800€ + cables.
    Last edited by Shakadam; 2016-02-02 at 01:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just like to update this, feel free to close after.

Shakadam, you definitely opened my eyes in regards to cost for the whole setup when considering buying an amp. Definitely food for thought for next year perhaps. Trying to save up this year but I went ahead and bought the Alesis recommended by Biernot.

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it.

Congrats on the Alesis speakers. I think they are a really good start.

If you're planning on buying an amp and/or some more/better speakers always check for used hifi stuff from the 1970s, '80s and early '90s! With some research and patience you can often make a bargain and get really great stuff that was build to last for decades! (In constrast to now where most things are build to break right after warranty expires...except some very expensive, high-quality brands)

Nothing beats a good old Marantz amp but those are worth a fortune now
    Last edited by chooi; 2016-02-08 at 05:31 AM.
    #MakeBlizzardGreatAgain

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chooi View Post
    Nothing beats a good old Marantz amp but those are worth a fortune now
    I have an old Pioneer SX-880 and Marantz 2235. Those things are some of the loveliest pieces of hardware I have from that area, and they -still- kick ass. The poor SX880 heat stroked a voltage heatsink but it was an easy fix.

For some reason, the aesthetics of those times just looks so much nicer (in some ways) than newer, sleeker stuff. Diodes and neon blues/greens, with real dials.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Well, you already bit the bullet, nevertheless I think buying a DAC (especially such a cheap one) is nigh pointless in your situation. Just get a pair of cheap THX Logitech speakers and you're set.

I personally hooked up a Bose Companion set to my onboard audiocard and it sounds just fine. It's obviously shite compared to my NAD T 787, but good enough for gaming.

Deleted
    i have some extra home theater speakers and want to know if its possible to connect the front left and right speakers to my computer without a receiver. i have an Asus sound card.

Quote Originally Posted by goran15 View Post
    i have some extra home theater speakers and want to know if its possible to connect the front left and right speakers to my computer without a receiver. i have an Asus sound card.
    Chances are those speakers are passive and you'll probably need a receiver or amp between source and speaker to power them.

If the speakers have their own built-in amplification (a power plug will be coming from one or both) and they have RCA outputs, then you can plug them into your sound card directly if it has RCA inputs or with a standard stereo y-adapter sold for $9.99 at most stereo stores in the U.S.

If, however, they aren't self amplified, you will indeed need to pick up some kind of amplifier in order to use them.

Criiz: I spent the last few months researching this very thread topic and have educated myself fairly well on it. I ended up getting a Lepai 2020a amplifier and a set of Micca MB42Xs for my desk. The Miccas produce excellent low end for their price and have what I would consider above average mids and highs as far as overall quality goes. The speakers go for $89.00 on Amazon right now for the pair and the amp for $25.88. If you have questions I am more than happy to help in anyway I can.

I'm a new user here so I can't post links, but if you just put these into Amazon it'll take you right to the items in question.

Speakers - Micca MB42X Bookshelf Speakers (Black)
    AMP - Lepai LP-2020A+ Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier with Power Supply

Edit - Linkified
    Last edited by chazus; 2016-02-11 at 03:32 AM.