Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

"No computer can make more than 60fps@Ultra in raids"

I think its time to end this myth once and for all. In some threads I posted some ppl would just not believe me, actualy it runs with no less than 100fps with everything absolutely maxed you can check the FPS on the top bar or on the Afterburner stats along with the CPU work distribution

My computer is not some super machine is just handpicked for performance on the CPU and IO, the graphics card is just a 970 that doesn't even break a sweat

Intel i7 6700k at 4.5ghz
    16GB of DDR4 at 3.0 Ghz
    PCIe nvme SSD 950 pro

The pug even has more people than a mythic raid, I normally dont raid with Shadows at ultra(pointless for raiding) cause I try to keep 144fps, but to prove a point I turned every single setting to the max for the purpose of this demonstration.

BOSS FIGHT

XHULL with MSAA 8x

Last edited by Hellfury; 2016-02-29 at 03:46 PM.

The argument has never been that 60+ FPS is impossible in WoW at 1080p and max settings; the argument is that a constant 60+ FPS is extremely difficult to obtain at 1080p (and beyond, obviously) and max settings because the game's core engine is old and poorly optimized for today's technology.

That being said, it's more of a rule of thumb than it is a cold-hard fact.

And yes, your 37 second long video shows you averaging ~85FPS, but there's a number of holes one can poke... Just to name a couple: 1) That's one specific fight. 2) The video is 37 seconds long...

One final note: Topics like this almost always devolve into flaming, brand-bashing, and all around "non-constructivity". Please keep things civil and constructive in the discussion!

Note that the OP was modified since the time I made this post, but my points still stand.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2016-02-11 at 12:45 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    So your argument is that a 37 second trash fight that stays over 60fps is equivalent to a fight with many mechanics and adds... say Xhul'horac?

I "average" well over 100fps in raids.

I still dip well below 60fps on boss pulls/Lust, a boss like Xhul'horac, etc, for a few seconds.

Thats on an i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz with a GTX 970 and 16GB of DDR3. Why you even bother to list the SSD i have no idea, it has zero impact on framerate.

And... ahh... LFR man. Quite a bit more easy on the rig than Heroic/Mythic. Half the people in any given LFR aren't even using the abilities that cause framerate drops, bosses have entire mechanics outright removed, shortened, or altered. Not the same thing at all.

In short: congrats on proving precisely nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    This post is sort of the reason that gets said. Someone comes along and goes "NUH UH" and cherry picks something to prove it wrong. Except.. It ignores the point.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    With my FX-8350 I see 30 fps min and 60+ fps in raids. I also have a fairly old graphics card with my 7850. If I look at a wall, I'll jump to 100+ fps. The more walls you look at, and less players, the higher the fps. A good lot of that video is walls. Most of the players seem to be in the hallway.

I stopped playing WoW and might resub for another month. I'm not paying real money so it'll be with gold. Last I checked it was 37k gold for 1 month. Maybe it dropped. But it's hard to get a metric when there's no built in benchmark in the game.

So your "proof" is from a small portion of not graphically intensive fight in LFR?

Nothing to see here folks, move along.

Now go record Archimonde or Xhul'horac and get back to us.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm at around 20ish on my okay gaming computer during the middle of a complex fight. It's obviously a lot higher on fights where fuck all is happening but it works and I don't stream shit so I don't care.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually laughed... He tried to prove this at numerous threads and now he appears with a video that isn't proving anything.

The point is that you can't have more than 60 all the time at particle heavy fights which are known to cause performance issues, not that you can't average 60. Or 100.

Also, LFR =\= Mythic and trash =\= heavy bad coded boss encounters.

Always thought the argument was that the human eye can't really perceive passed 60fps so it was a moot point.

Lol. Frequently your average is dropping by enough in one tick in that video to effective PROVE that you had periods were you dropped to below 60fps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CR77 View Post
    Always thought the argument was that the human eye can't really perceive passed 60fps so it was a moot point.
    No, you can easily see the difference over 60 at sample-and-hold displays like LCDs.

10+ Year Old Account
    10-mans in MoP would stay 50-70+ for me on Ultra and even in the early Mythicws before I quit it would stay 50-60 depending. Not too shabby and using an AMD 280X at the time and a i5 2500k

Unrelated but in FFXIV I get a rock solid 60+ in 25-man deals but that is a better optimized game than WoW. :P
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

The real question here is, why do you need to know your Alliance Vanguard rep mid-raid. That is a huge rep bar lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    The real question here is, why do you need to know your Alliance Vanguard rep mid-raid. That is a huge rep bar lol.
    Better question is why he puts the unit frames at the top, but UI comments aren't really the topic here =p

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Better question is why he puts the unit frames at the top, but UI comments aren't really the topic here =p
    Meh, the topic isn't going anywhere anyway. May as well childishly mock him.

10+ Year Old Account
    You need to see other players for several mechanics.

Gw2 has an option that changes the model of the other characters to bland ones, so it just renders that bland model for everyone vs rendering every different armor model.
    Though that's not really what impacts the performance, it's more like the amount of spells, damage/healing flying around. Even though blizz reduced the amount of flashy things you see from other players (your own blizzard looks way better than your friend's blizzard) it still gimps performance.
    I don't really see why ppl want to have 60 fps ALL THE TIME (I mean I undestand why, but it doesn't hinder anyone if it dips to 40-50 in a heavy aoe adds + particles + wtv scenario). 40-50 fps is fucking playable and watchable (if streaming).