Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Married With Children Spinoff

Married With Children might get a spinoff.
    http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/07/29/...ina-applegate/

I loved the original because Ed and his character stole the show. I don't think an adult David and Bud can carry the spotlight as Al 2.0, especially without a permanent Kelly. The idea of Kelly wising up with 10 kids would shrivel any male fan. It seems like a desperate career revival attempt after a really bad rap failure.

Would you like a spinoff?

Its hard to say, I loved the original series though. If they just made Bud exactly like Al with the wife, kids and the whole shebang, I would probably watch but it would get panned for being a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Married With Children might get a spinoff.
    http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/07/29/...ina-applegate/

I loved the original because Ed and his character stole the show. I don't think an adult David and Bud can carry the spotlight as Al 2.0, especially without a permanent Kelly. The idea of Kelly wising up with 10 kids would shrivel any male fan. It seems like a desperate career revival attempt after a really bad rap failure.

Would you like a spinoff?
    Wasn't this just called "Modern Family"

10+ Year Old Account
    I must be the only person that found the original very stupid. All I remember is it being a giant men vs. women trope.

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    I've never watched that show but I don't think so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I must be the only person that found the original very stupid. All I remember is it being a giant men vs. women trope.
    It was originally a bit less focused on that and more on Al's misery.

Yeah, the whole show was about Al getting shit on.

Hmmmm....i'm not really sure how a spin off could work. If it focused on AL Bundy (Who was the reason you watched the show, come on)...it's not really a spin off then is it? It's a continuation. I suppose it could work, I mean One Foot in the Grave was funny as hell when it was being a comedy (And didn't work when it tried to add in super depressing drama, because that's what you tune into a sitcom for. To get depressed >.< but I digress).

A Peggy spin off...would suck ass. Katey Segall is very talented, sure. But this doesn't change that Peggy as a character only really worked playing off of Al. On the show her laziness and nastiness is offset by that off the rest of the cast. On her own...she'd just be this horrible woman you have no reason to like. And what would the character do? Head back to the rural craphole she originally came from? Part of THAT joke was how all that stuff was always referenced and left off screen, wasn't it?

A spin off of Bud? He always seemed a character intended to be hated by the viewer, so you could delight in his failures and humiliations. Pretty much the opposite of Al (Cept Al, being the audience liked and rooted for him, actually did come out of top sometimes. I don't think Bud ever had any "wins")

Kelly...If she stays a bimbo...what the hell would you do with her? I suppose you could go the "Look she married a horrible husband and had tons of kids!" route, but plenty of other shows have already gone the "horrible husband" gag route (Such a king of the hill, a show I very much hate and am sad I know that much about). If you made her smart...well she's not really Kelly Bundy any more, is she? Otherwise I feel her character was more than play out by the tv show itself.

The next door neighbour woman? Unlikely, she was also a character you were meant to hate. Why would I want to watch a show about a character i hate? Maybe if it was about bad things continually happening to her, but that has the risk of falling into so bad it's depressing territory. Her 1st husband? Meh, the guy was so bland he was written out and replaced. Darcy? Wasn't he basically just an older male version of Kelly? I can't think of anything decent to come out of spinning him off now. His actor is ok, but the character is...it has nothing worth spinning off.

So...given (I remember you were meant to) basically hate everyone cept Al...I can't see how they could do a spin off and have it be something you'd wanna watch. Evena reunion seems....I dunno, I'm not sure I'd like to see how much more horrible the casts lives have become since the show ended (Which was kind of the other point of the show, as I remember it)

Plus I kinda feel sorry for Ed O'Neil. No matter what the poor bastard does, he can't get out of Al Bundy's shadow
    Last edited by Icaras; 2016-02-11 at 11:02 AM.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Even if it was the same as the old show, I don't think that kind of 90s humour would work in a modern show.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    I've never watched that show but I don't think so.
    Probably why you missed the joke :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    I <3 Sarah Hyland so much

I wouldn't really like a spinoff of MwC without a major hottie regular.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    A Peggy spin off...would suck ass. Katey Segall is very talented, sure. But this doesn't change that Peggy as a character only really worked playing off of Al.
    Does she even do much anymore that isn't associated with Kurt?
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    there already is one , its called sons of anarchy ;>

NO MA'AM

/10 char

I remember it being a glorious time when people didn't know what a trope was.

Without Als eternal suffering I don't know if the show would have enough to carry a season.

Also weren't the 90s a simpler time? No Ma'am, fat women jokes and glorification of huge boobs....oh how I miss it.

I absolutely loved the original, watched it all the time and have hoped for a spin-off/sequel for years. However, now that it's actually happening, I can't really see it work out too well. The jokes that worked well in the original wouldn't be in this one and that just makes it a different show entirely. Even if by some miracle they actually pulled it off and managed to make it similar to the original, the certain crowd on the internet would drive it into the ground.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Feminists and SJW's would go ballistic if the humour of the original was replicated.

I have been seeing David post hints about it for quite some time now on his Facebook page.
    All I can say is it is better to try this and fail than not try at all, I loved the original and watched it many times.
    I sure wouldn't mind a shot at the Bundies again.

Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    The next door neighbour woman? Unlikely, she was also a character you were meant to hate. Why would I want to watch a show about a character i hate? Maybe if it was about bad things continually happening to her, but that has the risk of falling into so bad it's depressing territory. Her 1st husband? Meh, the guy was so bland he was written out and replaced. Darcy? Wasn't he basically just an older male version of Kelly? I can't think of anything decent to come out of spinning him off now. His actor is ok, but the character is...it has nothing worth spinning off.
    I couldn't stand Jefferson and the actor who played him. The show had some terrible actors but he was by far the worst and his character was blander than Steve.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fokstar View Post
    I have been seeing David post hints about it for quite some time now on his Facebook page.
    All I can say is it is better to try this and fail than not try at all, I loved the original and watched it many times.
    I sure wouldn't mind a shot at the Bundies again.
    I just can't see a successful run of David playing a wannabe Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Feminists and SJW's would go ballistic if the humour of the original was replicated.
    This is true on a broadcast channel CBS,NBC,ABC or Fox. The world is just a bit more PC now than it was in the late 80's to mid 90's.

I like the original so much that I'd be sure to tune in and see what this is about at least

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    That is true. If they change the humor tho I don't think I'll watch. At the same time the humor was often aimed at males - it was the men that was losers; so I guess they could enjoy that in all the objectification and sex jokes. I guess they have to put it on late at night and not one of the big channels; it would probably go on Fox FX - If 'It's always Sunny in Philadelphia' can go there for year after year and survive without the feminists and SJW:s outrage I'm sure this could to.

Question is if it's going to be funny. Bud was probably the least funny of the Bundy family. Even the dog (Buck) was funnier then him. I guess Bud was just marginally more entertaining then themale neighbors (Steve and Jefferson. Marcy on the other hand was quite funny - I guess the SJW could spin out on that). Even Al's loser friends was more funny then Bud.

Most important I guess for it is that none of them can have succeeded in life in since the previous show. Peggy and Al still have to be married, or bitterly divorced even tho Peg would probably die then. Al if not retired has to work in the shoe store. Kelly more or less have to be on welfare with like 10 kids (all different fathers) and Bud then has to have some dead end drone job (hopefully not in the shoe store). Marcy is still working at the bank.
    Last edited by looorg; 2016-02-11 at 04:39 PM.