Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Why would they start breaking windows and ramming a car into the store? Did anyone smell gas? I would have gotten out of there and called the fire department like you are supposed to do if you think theres a leak. Ramming a car into a building with a gas leak seems incredibly dumb.

Yes, the employees should have immediately called 911, rather than complying with the bogus order. But let’s not blame the victims here, OK? Panic can make even the most level-headed among us do the darndest things.

As for prank calls, when did they turn so malicious?

It’s one thing to randomly phone strangers and ask whether their refrigerators are running. It’s another to deliberately target a business, impersonate a public safety official and warn the innocent person on the other end of the line that he or she is in imminent danger. That’s not a prank. It’s a crime.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Why would they start breaking windows and ramming a car into the store? Did anyone smell gas? I would have gotten out of there and called the fire department like you are supposed to do if you think theres a leak. Ramming a car into a building with a gas leak seems incredibly dumb.

because most gas you can't smell. and fi you do smell gas it;s because it was Oderized to have a really bad smell to be a warning "Hey get out of here".

basically dpeend son the leak, when someone tells you on the phone there's a gas leak i would admit i would leave the building right away, but break windows and crash a car? yeah little overboard

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh jeez I remember when I was younger and a little shit I was in a giant skype call I found on 4chan where we prank called a motel and did the same thing. One of the ladies threw the toilet tank lid through the window, and another group of guys was convinced to pull the fire alarm. Could hear all the commotion on the other end. Not my proudest moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Yes, the employees should have immediately called 911, rather than complying with the bogus order. But let’s not blame the victims here, OK? Panic can make even the most level-headed among us do the darndest things.

As for prank calls, when did they turn so malicious?

It’s one thing to randomly phone strangers and ask whether their refrigerators are running. It’s another to deliberately target a business, impersonate a public safety official and warn the innocent person on the other end of the line that he or she is in imminent danger. That’s not a prank. It’s a crime.

THIS SO MUCH!, how much of us really know how we would act in the moment?

Can't believe they did that. Threats present no evident danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    because most gas you can't smell. and fi you do smell gas it;s because it was Oderized to have a really bad smell to be a warning "Hey get out of here".
    I was under the impression all gas going into buildings were oderized so you should smell something if you have a gas leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I was under the impression all gas going into buildings were oderized so you should smell something if you have a gas leak.
    i do not know the laws...hehe BUT my point was it;s not like fast food workers are the best and brightest and the prank caller took on the role of AUTHORITY

*easy way to get someone to do what you want is social engineering your self in a position of authority and it;s basically the biggest weakness in any business*

Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    THIS SO MUCH!, how much of us really know how we would act in the moment?
    Even if I believed the caller, why would I immediately resort to breaking windows and ramming my car into the building? Sorry, but there is zero defending that level of stupidity.

I work in a warehouse with multiple departments. My shift, third shift, is just one singular department (at the moment); I have six people on average, sometimes up to a dozen if I have volunteers staying over from the previous shift. If I received such a call and I thought it might possibly be genuine, my first order of business isn't "EVERYONE PANIC AND BREAK SHIT," it's "get everyone outside and away from the building, preferably at least a hundred feet away." Most likely we'll walk a couple of hundred feet away to the neighboring business' parking lot. Once the building is evacuated, then I'd call the police or the fire department to follow up and make sure someone is coming to fix/inspect/investigate the situation. At that point, they'd tell me that they never placed such a call and I've been the victim of a hoax and I'll feel embarrassed as shit, but at least nothing was mindlessly destroyed and I won't be worried about losing my job in the morning for acting like a complete idiot.

I don't care if the original caller advises me to break windows to let the gas out or whatever; fuck that, my priority is getting my people outside and away from the building. If there's a real danger, the so-called "professionals" can come deal with it while I call my boss and explain the situation.