Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Well, it's basically true though.

http://digg.com/video/guy-freaks-peo...al-information

People can learn a lot about people through social media. Jobs check out social media before hiring people, because they can get info they would not normally or legally be able to obtain elsewhere, similar to spyware. Jobs fire people over social media all the time as well, because they are using it to spy on you. I know of 2 people who lost their jobs this way.

My wife's sister used to work at a Deli. One morning, she was opening and got there to see a bong just sitting on the sidewalk in front of the store. She thought it funny and posted a picture of it on her facebook. She got fired because the picture included both the bong and their logo.

One of my former warehouse employee's son worked at a call center. He requested a certain day off, more than a month in advance, for his son's birthday party. He was given the day off, but then later told he needed to come in anyway. He called in sick but his mother-in-law took a picture of him and tagged him on Facebook during the party. He got fired.

It's not a tin hat thing, it's simply the truth. People are all concerned about privacy all the time, yet share all their personal moments on Facebook and are surprised when people know that info.
    So he got told he had to work, lied to his boss that he was sick, got caught, got fired, and it's not his fault, it's Facebook. Gotta love the "never my fault" attitude these days.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

The cell phone # is not optional here in the USA. I used a fictitious name couple with my cell number. I did a search of my phone number and the search results showed the fictitious name. apparently, FB is stopping multiple accounts which is a good thing but not if FB gives out/sells you name and phone number.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    To be fair, this isn't just a Facebook thing or a new practice in general. Google has been nagging me about that shit for years. I usually just use Thunderbird to access anything Gmail, but Google begs me for my mobile number every time I log in through gmail.com. Even Steam has been asking me for it a while now.

I think the main purpose is supposed to be account recovery (they text you a super duper top secret code that will let you log back in if you forget your password or get hacked or something). I haven't bothered because I don't give enough of a shit about my Gmail account to care if it gets hacked. All I use it for is when a website requires some kind of bullshit "registration" in order for me to download something. I always give them that instead of my main email, and that's where all the spam goes. I just pop in and empty it every once in a while.
    I just have a second email account for this, because i use my primary Google account for all of those services. Doesnt -everyone- do something like this... and if not... how the hell do they deal with the spam? (And not even spam emails, just all the crap various services you actually signed up for send you..)

That being said, ive never had Facebook insist on getting my number. They ask, i click no, end of story.

And if you put anything on social media and then complain about privacy.... the problem is you. You should not expect ANYTHING you put online in a place where even a second person can see it to stay private.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by noonehome View Post
    The cell phone # is not optional here in the USA. I used a fictitious name couple with my cell number. I did a search of my phone number and the search results showed the fictitious name. apparently, FB is stopping multiple accounts which is a good thing but not if FB gives out/sells you name and phone number.
    Im in the US. They dont have my number. They never will.

It comes up once a month or so, i click the X, it goes away.

How many of you guys experiencing this are using the mobile app or mobile website (which functions identically to the app, since the App is just a wrapper for the mobile site)? I bet that is the culprit.

Id suggest just... stop using it. Its a giant battery drain and security hole on Android, and not much better on iOS. Just load the mobile site (if you must) from your browser of choice, or do what i do, and force it to load the (actually fully functional) desktop site. Which also lets you send messages without having to install Messenger.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2018-01-02 at 02:43 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Locking thread, since it's a nearly 2 year old necro.