Anyone follow the Philosopy of Stoicism

Just reading about Stoicism.

It sounds like its all about feeling the pain.
    So that when the real pain comes along, you can mentally find away out of it.

Does anyone follow this philosophy?
    Do you fast yourself once a week, for example?

It's a collection of spiritual exercises designed to help people through the difficulty of life.
    To focus on managing emotion; specifically, non-helpful emotion."

"Let us become intimate with poverty so that fortune may not catch us off our guard.
    We shall be rich with all the more comfort if we learn how far poverty is from being a burden."

When you challenge yourself by living without luxuries or indulgences, say to yourself: 'is this the condition that I feared?'
    The soul should toughen itself beforehand for occasions of greater stress.

It is while fortune is kind that it should fortify itself against its violence."

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life...09-gmptyy.html
    I must remember not to post stupid stuff when very drunk.

Deleted
    No.
    And I find it wrong to become ideologue, just get good points of it and throw the rest into the bin.

Like I do cut luxuries out of my life, I do fast once in a while, but theres no need to follow stoicism in a whole. Controlling Stress and Mind is a very important part of the Art of Living.
    Last edited by mmoc9590e3104a; 2016-02-10 at 04:09 AM.

Deleted
    Stoicism is great. It teaches you how to keep your head cool and distance yourself from worries so you can be above them. It's a great life skill to have when you decide how things affect you instead of them deciding how they affect you. Life gets so much easier once you shed the pride disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Stoicism is great. It teaches you how to keep your head cool and distance yourself from worries so you can be above them. It's a great life skill to have when you decide how things affect you instead of them deciding how they affect you. Life gets so much easier once you shed the pride disease.
    Well done Dzudzado
    I am a newbie about Stoicism
    Some really great people follow Stoiicism Philosophy

Lots of great people through out History have followed this Philosophy

stoic

Someone who does not give a shit about the stupid things in this world that most people care so much about. Stoics do have emotions, but only for the things in this world that really matter. They are the most real people alive.

Group of kids are sitting on a porch. Stoic walks by.

Kid – ‘Hey man, yur a fuckin faggot an you suck cock!’

Stoic – ‘Good for you.’

Keeps going.

https://aeon.co/essays/why-stoicism-...s-ever-devised
    Last edited by Blobfish; 2016-02-10 at 09:45 AM.

Deleted
    Sounds like life in the military tbh. Weeks without little to no sleep combined with hard work and minium food. Push you down to the absolute bottom so next time you're thinking its tough you can always remember how it was back then.

Break you down to build you up.

That is a form of Stoicism.
    Its about breaking the Human Spirit ..so much so
    That whatever in your life afterwards , you can deal with.

Deleted
    Pretty much for quite some time now albeit not "actively" praticing stoicism, it's just how i live and don't intent to change.

And I must say it has help me greatly since I have been diagnosed with kidney failure 4 years ago which means frequent trips to the hospital, dialysis, lots of medication, operation, etc... I saw a lot of people getting desperate in this situation, some even wanting to end it the hard way, but since all this shit was out of my control, I just didn't give a fuck.
    Even my family was more worried than me about my situation xD

It's not all about pain. It's more about separating your judgement of things from the things themselves. It's about understanding what parts of life are under your complete control, and 'letting go' of things you can't, eliciting a sort of therapeutic effect. It teaches you to take a more objective perspective at something like disease, by reminding you how you'd feel if it happened to someone else. It also advocates having a rigorous and active political life. At least that's what I remember from years back.

Deleted
    No I don't. I better follow my own philosophy standarts.

Stoicism was popular during one point in Roman history. Marcus Aurelius? The emperor was a stoic. He wrote down a bunch of stuff in his journal, the journal somehow survived and now his quotations are popular.

Stoics believe that stress was harmful and should be avoided. Too much wine women and song was just as bad as going to church and being admonished for enjoying too much wine women and song. If Stoics had a motto it would be moderation in all things.

It never caught on. I think it's because it's not much of a belief system.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Stoics believe that stress was harmful and should be avoided. Too much wine women and song was just as bad as going to church and being admonished for enjoying too much wine women and song. If Stoics had a motto it would be moderation in all things.
    You're actually thinking of Epicureans, and it's "nothing too much", not moderation in all things.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know whether it can be considered a part of stoicism, but I do believe in the principle that we have full control over our feelings and emotions. We are just programmed by our life, by the society and by nature to react to certain things a certain way - but we can react differently, if we make a conscious effort to do so. For example, when someone tells you, "You are an idiot", you can react negatively and defensively, trying to convince yourself that the person is wrong... Or you can say, "He-h, whatever", and not give any meaning to it and feel fine. It is all about the attitude. Although sometimes, especially when something drastic happens or strong physical pain is paralyzing you, it is hard to get a grip of yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Following any one doctrine isn't healthy. Pick and choose the good bits and mix and match is my philosophy.

That being said, I follow the philosophy of dealing with my own shit and not being a whiny bitch. Dunno if that classifies me as a stoic *shrug*

Deleted
    This is a great philosophy:

I, personally, obviously reject any notion of it being a "spiritual" anything, seeing as though there's no such thing as "spirit" or "spiritualism", or a "soul" or any other such nonsense. The point is, though, that you admit that the world is shit, life is shit, people are shit, everything is shit, you realize that you'll only get a few days out of the billions of years available to exist, you'll never get the things you want and quite frankly deserve and that your life will, in the end, be completely useless and horrible, and then, you just try your hardest to get through it towards your inevitable death without going crazy. Often the only way to do so is to throw your hands up in the air and say fuck it.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-02-10 at 10:09 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I really like some aspects of Stoicism, but I don't follow it, no.

I wouldn't "follow" any particular philosophy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    This is a great philosophy:
    [video=youtube;DVdKQ0I35qo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVdKQ0I35qo[video]
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Stoicism was popular during one point in Roman history. Marcus Aurelius? The emperor was a stoic. He wrote down a bunch of stuff in his journal, the journal somehow survived and now his quotations are popular.

It never caught on. I think it's because it's not much of a belief system.
    It never had widespread appeal because it was hard. It wasn't even something most of the Roman Legions could aspire to, it was Puritan before the Puritans. Stoicism has always been borrowed and adapted by many, lived by very few and that's how it always will be.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Some parallels can be drawn to the Jedi code.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

First principles, Clarice. Read Marcus Aurelius. Of each particular thing ask: what is it in itself? What is its nature? What does he do, this man you seek?