Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account

Facts people seem to have trouble with.

1. We aren't really that different from the Nazis. Given the right circumstance, country in the dumps, a charismatic leader preaching the superiority of your group and using a separate group as a scapegoat for your country's ills, most of us would probably have ended up doing what they did.
    2. There is no meaning to life. There is no greater purpose. It doesn't matter if you died or someone you know dies. A gamma burst could kill everyone on earth tomorrow, it wouldn't matter.

Many people can't bring themselves to accept these facts for some reason.

Just an observation.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Many people can't bring themselves to accept these facts for some reason.
    Might have something to do with them being opinions.

Deleted
    1. The only horrible thing the Nazis did was introduce slavery to one of the worst points we had in history. To clarify, all the rest they did was participate in war like all countries have done.

2. You don't know this, I personally don't think there is. But calling opinions facts is ridiculous.

Who has trouble with anything? Nothing matters.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have one!

1. Presenting your opinions as facts does not make them any more true.

People really have trouble with that one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    1. The only horrible thing the Nazis did was introduce slavery to one of the worst points we had in history. To clarify, all the rest they did was participate in war like all countries have done.

2. You don't know this, I personally don't think there is. But calling opinions facts is ridiculous.
    Yeah if you forget Hitler and Nazi murdered 6 million Jews and almost over 100 million white people through out Europe and Russia.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I have one!

How dare you present your opinion that my opinions are not facts as a fact.

Did you even go to school?
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

1. Depends on your criteria, I can make the argument that we're not that different from chimpanzees.
    2. Also depends on what you mean, but could be a false dichotomy (i.e. that the universe even can be ascribed such human terms as "meaning" and "caring")
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I have one!

Provide a non-biological meaning to life that isn't opinion-based, then. Protip: Procreation isn't meaning, it's a biological function.

All the replies to this thread are kind of proving the OP's point.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yeah if you forget Hitler and Nazi murdered 6 million Jews and almost over 100 million white people through out Europe and Russia.
    wat?

10chars

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    If you take the indiscriminate murder of certain groups out of the equation you end up with nothing unusual. And believe it or not; get any country in the same situation and you will have the same results, there is no genetic liability that makes germans hate jews or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    Provide a non-biological meaning to life that isn't opinion-based, then. Protip: Procreation isn't meaning, it's a biological function.

That's just it, the only objective meaning to life is to live. It's a selfserving purpose.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account

I'm open to any arguments suggesting there is meaning to life. I have found none that stand up to scrutiny though.

Many people seem to have trouble accepting "I did it because I felt like it." as a valid motivation to do stuff.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    The point of his post was that what they did wasn't really that special, just the most recent in Western Europe, which is what we care about.

Fact is we praise some conquerors (Caesar, Alexander) and hate others (Genghis Khan, Hitler) but after all they were all almost the same, one more brutal than the other, but in the end just waging pointless wars for power.
    Ah that all depend on a bit, but I'm willing to agree with a lot of that. As long as the purpose for such reflection and perspective follow the same line if thought for the right purpose.

So yes, a country does have the right to survive and fight their livelihood, whether others might agree with the methods or not.

Where I draw the line is when that drive for what people need crosses over to what they want.

And like ALL animals what people want isn't always what they should have.

10+ Year Old Account

Why take out biological functions? That's a little dishonest.

"Give me the objective meaning of eating that doesn't involve sustenance."

Also, just because it's his opinion there's no point to life, doesn't mean there has to be an onjective answer. Opinions can be countered by other opinions.

Wow. Another shining example of how screwed up with are. Slavery? Um, how about genicide. 6 million people murdered. Please don't lump me into the group that would be ok with that just because I was at war. It was planned, purposeful and calculating, not some by product of war.

Deleted
    God I love how people on this sight spend all day presenting opinion as fact. And best of all, most of the opinions voiced are total nonsense. I barely post or reply, but oh boy is it fun to read.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    If you take the indiscriminate murder of certain groups out of the equation you end up with nothing unusual.
    No they wouldn't the imperial ambitions if more than on man lead to the suffering of millions. Jews were simply part of the fodder Nazis sure as shit didn't hesitate to murder anybody else in their way either.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why take out biological functions? That's a little dishonest.

"Give me the objective meaning of eating that doesn't involve sustenance."

Also, just because it's his opinion there's no point to life, doesn't mean there has to be an onjective answer. Opinions can be countered by other opinions.
    As I said, I'm open to arguments suggestion objective meaning to living.

Based on what I know about biology, we are pretty much here by chance. We continue to live and procreate because our genes compel us to - like they compel our ancestors which is how we got here.

There is no higher purpose. (Tell me what said higher purpose is if you think there is one.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Austilias View Post
    Might have something to do with them being opinions.
    /thread

/gives Austilias a beer