Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowyFanatic View Post
    Oh, so you're with the Department of Pre-Crime now are you? You are aware, seeing as how you chose to quote-mine only a part of what I said, that someone open-carrying is making the presence of the firearm very clear, whereas someone who was intent on committing a crime would likely conceal their weapon(s) in the first place and there is NO WAY YOU CAN STOP THEM! If someone sets their mind to commit a violent act, banning law-abiding citizens from carrying their registered, trained-in-the-use-of firearm will in NO WAY affect the outcome. Your dishonesty is disgusting.
    Funny you mention this, back in the early days of firearms being openly carried by citizens, it was considered ungentlemanly to conceal your weapon. It was thought only scoundrels and people up-to-no good would conceal them.

Things have gone completely 180 since then however.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Smart thinking. I am all for them allowing students to carry concealed firearms on campus as long as they have a legal permit in the state to do such.

Quote Originally Posted by Windowmaker View Post
    Ah yes, guns and angsty/drunk/high teenagers. What could possibly go wrong?
    Potentially lots of frustrated virgins as well

A bunch of armed and untrained college kids? What could go wrong! These kids don't know who the VP is, but hey, they'll be ok handling a weapon cause "it's their right"

I'm all for gun people having their guns, but I don't think you should just be able to carry without ANY kind of training.

Say something DOES happen, you've got frightened kids all with guns, ALL looking for the active shooter. Tell me, how does a scared student differentiate between who is who?
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Its cute that some of you think I'm not in a STEM major lol
    And why does that hold any relevance whatsoever? You could be the smartest man in the world about your fields and still be ignorant about people's intentions. It's cute that you think bragging about your major gives you a leg up on what you obviously don't know shit about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    A bunch of armed and untrained college kids? What could go wrong! These kids don't know who the VP is, but hey, they'll be ok handling a weapon cause "it's their right"

I'm all for gun people having their guns, but I don't think you should just be able to carry without ANY kind of training.

Say something DOES happen, you've got frightened kids all with guns, ALL looking for the active shooter. Tell me, how does a scared student differentiate between who is who?
    Yes, we hear this same hyperbole fear mongering anytime any place expands gun rights to its citizens.

"There will be blood in the streets!"

Funny enough, months and years go by and the streets are not painted red.

They said the same thing here in Georgia with our "guns anywhere" bill. Since its been put into law pretty much nothing out of the ordinary has happened.

Again, this is all extremely ironic since most people claim gun owners and legislators operate out of "fear" to get their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post

This nonsense proves nothing. Go watch jay Leno do jay walking about political figures up for election. Regular adults are just as stupid. Try harder.

I teach and work full-time at Texas Tech in Lubbock, TX and we have been preparing for this, which goes into effect on August 1 of this year. In short, I thoroughly oppose campus carry and do not feel safer on campus knowing that my students could be carrying guns. When I am not teaching, I work in a mental health agency on campus and worry that the presence of guns on campus might deter some individuals who come into my agency for help.

College students are also coming into college less resilient to handle emotional and psychological problems. If a person is suicidal, the presence of a gun increases the chances that they will commit suicide.
    Skoldier for life.

What the fuck is wrong with America.

Why is everyone allowed to have a freaking gun with such availability and little restriction.

I'd feel safer living in Australia at this rate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    And why does that hold any relevance whatsoever? You could be the smartest man in the world about your fields and still be ignorant about people's intentions. It's cute that you think bragging about your major gives you a leg up on what you obviously don't know shit about.
    Its not relevant which was my point. Woosh

Quote Originally Posted by Freese View Post
    College students are also coming into college less resilient to handle emotional and psychological problems. If a person is suicidal, the presence of a gun increases the chances that they will commit suicide.
    And this law changes what? Without this law these things would be less likely to happen?

As a teacher do you have any tangible proof that your fears of armed students are rational?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post

Why is everyone allowed to have a freaking gun with such availability and little restriction.

Well, bye.

Just make sure you don't buy any airsoft guns why you are there. Apparently that is against the law.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Why do teachers get elevated above others?

You do know colleges have students ranging in all age and backgrounds yes?

What exactly qualifies a teacher over a student?
    I suppose that because there is generally one teacher per classroom with many,many students. Having one trained person is alot better then having to deal with people saying they are afraid to look at their peers who have guns. It's not going to change. People who hate and despise guns because they became afraid of them through social media and whatnot aren't going to change their opinions. So at least this way a school could have that safety

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Then by all means, stay there. We have several problems here, but exercising our Constitutional rights is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    I live in Canada and It's staying that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Then by all means, stay there. We have several problems here, but exercising our Constitutional rights is not one of them.
    The number of Mass Shootings certianly is and if you don't think the two are linked Boy howdy do I have some swamp property to sell you for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Its not relevant which was my point. Woosh
    So let me get this straight. You used sarcasm to try to prove a point of...what? You need to work better at this communication thing if you expect people to take you or your opinion seriously. Sarcasm and many other emotions cannot be conveyed over text. Someone with your background should know this. We can only tell that you are threatening to act like an asshole if you see someone carrying a gun in class because that is what you posted. Everything else is just blah blah finger in ears hand waiving so yeah, I don't get what the shit you are trying to be sarcastic about when you don't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaiz View Post
    I suppose that because there is generally one teacher per classroom with many,many students. Having one trained person is alot better then having to deal with people saying they are afraid to look at their peers who have guns. It's not going to change. People who hate and despise guns because they became afraid of them through social media and whatnot aren't going to change their opinions. So at least this way a school could have that safety
    And I don't disagree having teachers armed is a lot better idea than having no one armed.

I just stop short of saying students shouldn't have the right to be armed if the law says they can be.

I live in Canada and It's staying that way.
    Thank god. If you live in Canada and you obviously oppose this move, I can only assume you are that paranoid that you wouldn't come to such places. If I am correct, why the hell do you care? It doesn't effect you.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaiz View Post
    If the idea of someone wearing a fire arm is to much for them maybe they are not mature enough to be in a secondary institution and instead should stick to online courses.