View Poll Results: Would You Support A Hijab Or Niqab Ban?

Voters
314. This poll is closed
  • Hijabs should be banned

63 20.06%
  • Niqabs should be banned

81 25.80%
  • None should be banned

170 54.14%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    So basically "dress in what we've decided is the normal fashion or you'll be made to"
    If you think sheathing women in black fabric bags to remove them from social interaction, is a fashion choice, I suggest you inform yourself.
    Supporting inhumane conditions just to uphold abstract notions in the kulturkampf doesn't speak well about your character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    They would ban men as well.
    ...Yeah, in the same way that marriage was "already equal," seeing as a gay man and straight man could both have always married a woman?

but of course we don't deal in idiotic unilateral logic, so such pedantic contentions are completely silly and meaningless.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    What meaning you think wearing a head scarf denotes and the meaning they think it denotes is likely very different, at which point I'd say the meaning is more important to the person wearing it.
    a niqab is not a scarf.
    And what mean I give to it or they do is intimately tied by my own culture, thank you very much.

7+ Year Old Account
    Both should be gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    a niqab is not a scarf.
    Irrelevant. You're judging it based on what you think it means for the person wearing it, and not based on what they think it means.

In which case yeah, you're playing fashion police.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

If you think sheathing women in black fabric bags to remove them from social interaction, is a fashion choice, I suggest you inform yourself.
    Supporting inhumane conditions just to uphold abstract notions in the kulturkampf doesn't speak well about your character.
    If someone is forcing a woman to wear a niqab we already have laws to address it. Don't pretend these bans are for their own good, you're just another party trying to tell women what they're allowed to wear. Its not different than every other misogynistic law in history telling women what they can choose to wear.

...Yeah, in the same way that marriage was "already equal," seeing as a gay man and straight man could both have always married a woman?

but of course we don't deal in idiotic unilateral logic, so such pedantic contentions are completely silly and meaningless.
    I'm signaling that well's is the pedantic poster here by exposing the inherent ineptuitude of his line of thought.

ban them both, for security reasons, and they look stupid as fuck lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm signaling that well's is the pedantic poster here by exposing the inherent ineptuitude of his line of thought.
    Except the law doesn't impact men in any way, shape, or form. It literally applies only to women. So saying "well men wouldn't be able to hypothetically wear this either!" doesn't address any sort of issue at all.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

If someone is forcing a woman to wear a niqab we already have laws to address it. Don't pretend these bans are for their own good, you're just another party trying to tell women what they're allowed to wear. Its not different than every other misogynistic law in history telling women what they can choose to wear.
    Lawlz. Good luck getting this women to even talk about it. Denouncing their partners is antithesis to their golden cage.
    And I don't pretend it's for their good. It's for the good of all of us. Having to see women subjected to societal removal is socially unacceptable by us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    People should be able to wear whatever they want as long as it cannot be considered indecent (not going out naked).
    Basically public hygiene is the only "public decency" standard I find acceptable. Government shouldn't have any place in telling people what they're allowed to wear so long as they're not presenting unsanitary conditions.

Yikes.

I hope you all aren't serious?

Do we not care about the freedom of religion and expressing it? Well I want all crosses banned as well.

Except the law doesn't impact men in any way, shape, or form. It literally applies only to women. So saying "well men wouldn't be able to hypothetically wear this either!" doesn't address any sort of issue at all.
    And "telling women how to dress" is an empty retort. Thus why I respond with emptier pedantry: well's contention is worth of utter mockery.

Lawlz. Good luck getting this women to even talk about it. Denouncing their partners is antithesis to their golden cage.
    And I don't pretend it's for their good. It's for the good of all of us. Having to see women subjected to societal removal is socially unacceptable by us.
    Struggling to tell how this is different than people who want to force women to wear these things for "societal health".

- - - Updated - - -

And "telling women how to dress" is an empty retort.
    Not when that's literally what you're advocating here. Even your argument is the same old misogyny that's used to defend this shit every other time.

Irrelevant. You're judging it based on what you think it means for the person wearing it, and not based on what they think it means.

In which case yeah, you're playing fashion police.
    You are wrongly supposing that I don't have any connection with that culture.

It's mainly for our security. You don't know who is under a niqab. It doesnt fit into our open society when someone chooses or gets forced to wear something that conceals your identity. They have to integrate in our society, YES EVEN THE WOMAN. Today many muslim immigrant woman don't even learn the new countries language because the men doesnt want that the woman has contact to "unclean locals". True story.

One of my neighbors is first generation turkish immigrant, his wife still can't speak german. Integration worked very well, woman sitting at home 23/7 only is allowed to go out for buying food.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    ban them both, for security reasons, and they look stupid as fuck lol.
    If we're banning things that look stupid, there need to be serious measures taken to cut back on the number of people wearing trilbies and fedoras.

15-20-something-year-olds just don't look good in them. They look dumb. Sorry. A man wearing a fedora should be required, by law, to be at least 6 feet tall, be no younger than 30 years of age, be in good shape, and have frequent sexual relations with a partner or partners.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    It's mainly for our security. You don't know who is under a niqab. It doesnt fit into our open society when someone chooses or gets forced to wear something that conceals your identity. They have to integrate in our society, YES EVEN THE WOMAN. Today many muslim immigrant woman don't even learn the new countries language because the men doesnt want that the woman has contact to "unclean locals". True story.
    How do you think banning the clothing they view as publicly acceptable will help integration?

Not when that's literally what you're advocating here.
    You are still under the false impression that sheathing women in faceless covers and removing them from social interaction is a fashion choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are wrongly supposing that I don't have any connection with that culture.
    No I'm supposing that you don't wear these garments and don't share a telepathic connection with people that do.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.