Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Too much RP (how i learned to hate death coil)

Between procs and standard rp generation i feel I'm spending too much time on DC to avoid RP cap.

Is it a dps loss to just ignore it until I'm waiting on runes? If so, any advice on weaving them in more efficiently?

You should be peppering in DC's sporadically throughout your rotation, sometimes you will be capped while you are spamming scourge strikes, you should always prioritize popping wounds over DC no matter what, but if you can, stay uncapped. dont worry so much about it tbh

15+ Year Old Account
    Im guessing DC is getting more relevant when you put all points into DC damage on the weapon.

I've learned to use DC based on my RC proc. I use a simple TMW to display when the buff is rolling. If it's rolling, and I'm RP capped, I ignore the cap and continue rotating. This also helps in keeping your RC uptime optimal as you will then know to not use your DC during RC, and have plenty of RP to trigger your RC when it's not up.
    i7-6700k | EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 | CM Evo 212 | 16GB DDR4 2400 Corsair Vengeance | ASRock Fata1ity k6 z170 | NZXT 440 White |

It's usually a good idea to use DC when you have a bunch of RP and 3 runes on cooldown. Dont wait until all 6 are down, unless you know the mob will die soon.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    I can see the push with the Artifact Weapon and the strong damage synergies between SS and DC for Blizzard to be attempting a push towards Necrosis as a talent. It isn't viable currently for raiding but may get there as gear scales.

I currently use it for PvP but I'm also running Clawing Shadows to give myself more range since Demon Hunters are ludicrous right now.

Also our tier 4piece set makes DC have a 50% chance to burst a wound, which in my opinion is a great way to make DC less shitty

Quote Originally Posted by turbosnail View Post
    Also our tier 4piece set makes DC have a 50% chance to burst a wound, which in my opinion is a great way to make DC less shitty
    agreed 100%
    i7-6700k | EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 | CM Evo 212 | 16GB DDR4 2400 Corsair Vengeance | ASRock Fata1ity k6 z170 | NZXT 440 White |

Deleted
    UH is already clunky because popping wounds is too fast compared to generating them. even with haste the downtime increases after you have the bracers and the 4pc. DC popping a wound is a dps loss compared to the chance for SS or CS to pop 1-6 with bracers.

Blizz have nerfed the proc rate of bracers down to the ground which is NOT a solution.

In need of some mechanic changes before it becomes an issue but that won't happen until it does become a real issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Item - Death Knight T19 Unholy 4P Bonus Death Coil has a 50% chance to cause a Festering Wound to burst. infect the target with a Festering Wound.

Change to 4pc coming in 7.1

Blizzard on top of the issue . change is in bold

Damn really? That's even fucking better!

With the change to the T19 4 set, i find that the placement of Dc is always right before a bursting phase or right after, before to dump rp and trigger scourge of the orlds, and/or after to speed up your recovery.

I haven't gotten to the point in the Artifact that buffs/improves DC, so for now I use Death Strike. Almost hits twice as hard as DC at my current Mastery/ilvl, and the higher RP cost makes RP easier to dump. Added bonus of keeping me topped off when I'm being bad

DC is best used when you have at least 3 runes on cooldown, to get the most out of runic corruption. I don't use clawing shadows, so saving DC and even epidemic when out of range makes it feel like less of a waste.

Deleted
    My suggestion:

You are not supposed to spam. You are supposed to get the buffs, such as 30% increase to SS after DC. Not capping is oldschool. Besides that, it gives corruption, which makes you generate quicker.

Im thinking of a sequence macro, that are doing DC, SS all day long. It should give 100% uptime in between buffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wooootles View Post
    I haven't gotten to the point in the Artifact that buffs/improves DC, so for now I use Death Strike. Almost hits twice as hard as DC at my current Mastery/ilvl, and the higher RP cost makes RP easier to dump. Added bonus of keeping me topped off when I'm being bad
    Then your losing out on the 6 sec 30% buff to scourge strike from our artifact weapon(Scourge of the worlds), this is a pretty big DPS loss.

My take is that if I have runes to use this takes priority over all else, but as long as there always is 3 runes or more recharging then there is room for Death Coil. Usually I have time for death coil most of the time, and I keep weaving in DC as often as I can.
    Last edited by Cerunnir; 2016-09-15 at 10:19 AM.
    Cerunnir - Frost/Blood Death Knight

Quote Originally Posted by wooootles View Post
    That is a big mistake lol.. You lost out on da uptime thru shadow infusion and also out scourge of the worlds proc. Both require us to use death coils. Using death strike was a legion prepatch thing when arbiter + legendary ring was busted and we needed a way to dump rp asap. It's legion now, things have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerunnir View Post
    Then your losing out on the 6 sec 30% buff to scourge strike from our artifact weapon(Scourge of the worlds), this is a pretty big DPS loss.

My take is that if I have runes to use this takes priority over all else, but as long as there always is 3 runes or more recharging then there is room for Death Coil. Usually I have time for death coil most of the time, and I keep weaving in DC as often as I can.
    As I said, I haven't gotten to the artifact talents that benefit DC yet. For now, DS is better DPS

Personally my issue is with Sudden Doom. Sometimes it pops back to back while my RP bar is already near the cap and I end up being forced to spend runes while my RP bar is full because runes are back up soon. Maybe it will become better with Double Doom since we will be able to keep one stack of Sudden Doom without the danger of being overwritten by a second Sudden Doom proc.

I wouldn't also mind seeing some changes made to Sudden Doom, or at least Double Doom so that some GCDs can be freed up for other more interesting spells. Maybe something like if you have two stacks of Sudden Doom and you use Death Coil then you cast two free Death Coils with a single global.

Sudden doom shouldn't even have a GCD at all. It's just really hard to dump it. I'm always prioritizing the runes except when I have at least 3 runes recharging. But even then, it's hard to dump it when for example you're using Soul Reaper and don't have Apoc up yet. I just hate this whole DC's thing because I know all the traits I'll take for DC will be far from reach. DC right now hit like a wet noddle. You're using it only for the scourge world trait's sh*t.

As a result I'm (almost) always capping RP.

Edit : Also shadow infusion is irrelevant when you're taking the claw's talent.

I cap my runic power all the time. It's not like I'm neglecting DC, either - I use it as much as possible to keep runes recycling faster and to buff my strikes. The nice thing about it, though, is that I nearly always have ample RP to deathstrike during mythics - which has been extremely helpful.