Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Restaurant dress codes: Sexy outfits for female staff may be discriminatory

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mark...odes-1.3474289

Should you have to dress sexy to keep your job? Many women working at some of Canada's popular restaurant chains say they do.

But dress codes for female staff at some restaurants — which can include high heels, tight skirts and heavy makeup — may violate women's human rights, according to some experts.

CBC Marketplace investigated the dress codes at some of Canada's top restaurant chains and heard from dozens of female staff who say they felt pressured to wear revealing outfits or risk losing shifts.

"The dress is so tight that you can see your underwear through it," says a current employee of Joey Restaurants who asked to remain anonymous for fear of losing her job.

She claims she was told not to wear underwear at all in order to avoid this. (The restaurant says they were "genuinely upset" to learn of this comment to staff.)

Watch the Marketplace story Restaurant Dress Codes on CBC television at 8 p.m. (8:30 p.m. NT) Friday or online.

Marketplace's Charlsie Agro applied for jobs at four major chains — Moxie's, Jack Astor's, Earls and Joey Restaurants — to find out what managers tell prospective staff to wear.
    'Not fair to women'

Women in the restaurant industry are increasingly speaking out about dress codes they say are sexist, interfere with their ability to do their job and leave them vulnerable to sexual harassment.

In 2015, a University of Alberta class project aimed at documenting sexism in the restaurant industry attracted hundreds of responses from employees and customers — many about dress codes and the unnecessary sexualization of female staff.

"I was often told that I needed to show more skin. I was 17 years old. No 17-year-old should be getting in trouble for not showing enough skin," one woman wrote.

The project — called the Feminist Eatery Database Undercover Project, or FEDUP — was designed to rank restaurants based on how its employees were treated.

"A lot of people don't take this sort of thing seriously," says project co-founder Kira Buro.

Marketplace spoke with dozens of female staff of restaurant chains, past and present, who spoke out against the dress codes.

Caitlin Ferry, who worked at a Moxie's restaurant until January 2014, told Marketplace she frequently got "unwanted attention that kind of comes with the outfits we were wearing."

Allison Ferry, Caitlin's sister, who worked at Earls for four years, says she was told to wear a skirt no longer than where her fingertips fell when at her sides, about six inches above her knee.

Allison believes wearing high heels for long, demanding shifts is one of the reasons she now has painful hip, foot and back problems. "I have one foot that has a bone that's permanently out of place," she says.

"I didn't learn of these uniform requirements until midway through my training," says Jen Hatchard, who worked at a Jack Astor's in the summer of 2014.

She quit after being sent home for not wearing enough jewelry on shift. "I just thought it was ridiculous and not fair to women," she says.
    'It is sex discrimination'

According to Restaurants Canada, 22 per cent of Canadians say their first job was in the restaurant industry.
    Really sad that so many women are pressured to sell themselves as pieces of meat just to get a job. Time to crack down on this.

Deleted
    Fuck real issues

10+ Year Old Account
    Adam86shadow, There's no way you could have read this article in 15 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Actually yeah. Speed reading is a thing. You can absorb information from text faster than you can sub-vocalize it.

Okay, get out. You already did this thread.

Deleted
    It's basically WOMEN SHOULDN'T WEAR 'SEXY' UNIFORMS FOR WORK, IT'S SEXIST, IT'S OPPRESSION, SOME WOMEN AREN'T HAPPY

Deleted
    Really sad that so many women are pressured to sell themselves as pieces of meat just to get a job. Time to crack down on this.
    2 things

1.) one don't take the job

2) time to crack down on idiotic threads full of SJW whiners - they are far more more reprehensible (and offensive) then some hottie working at Hooters in a tight tank top and shorts.

Last edited by mmocc836e66a65; 2016-03-05 at 05:35 PM.

Deleted
    If their employer is making them wear unfitting dress-codes than they should sue them or they should shut the fuck up. Complaining after the facts with nothing to back it up is stupid beyond belief.

Sex sells so I think using it to sell food is no different, as long as employees are protected and it isn't against their will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes dress codes can be sexist and that's wrong.

check please!
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    I've read this article in 5 seconds.

... blah blah woman blah blah not fair...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    2 things

1.) one don't take the job

2) time to crack down on idiotic threads full of SJW whiners - they are far more more reprehensible (and offensive) then some hottie working at Hooters in a tight tank top and shorts.
    This, most mods here are supporters though so good luck with that. It's the uprising of the preteens who discover more about the internet.

No one is forcing them to work at Hooters or Twin Peaks.

Deleted
    What's to really address? Don't like the uniform don't take the job... Simple

If they don't want to work there then don't work there. Its not like this is the only restaurant in town. If they knew the dress code going into the job why bitch about it later. For god sakes people will do anything to feel special about themselves.

I'm sure the women aren't complaining about the tips.

What about the opposite problem? Any uniform position I've ever worked forced me to show off less skin than I wanted to. I didn't get all kinds of wanted attention. It made me feel really uncomfortable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ngl I always feel bad for the girls at the front all dressed to the nines. Shits gotta be uncomfortable wearing high heels all day long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Show more tits, get better tips.

Deleted
    Obviously male uniforms need to be SEXY too

only ugly fat chicks care about this