Socrethar mythic couple of questions.

After downing gorefiend mythic (105 wipes), we will sooner or later have to deal with socrethar mythic.

a few questions:

1) Do Voracious Soulstalkers spawn in phase 2?
    2) If Voracious Soulstalkers don't spawn in phase 2, should we aim for a single phase 2 kill because soulstalkers are hard?
    3) Should we have our "best" player, control the construct, even if it is a dps or a healer, resulting in dps loss, if that "best" player is better at the construct than say our tanks?

1) No

2) Yes and it shouldn't be a problem. If the construct keeps dying remember you can for example put Vigilance on it during Dominators etc.

3) Depends on how awful your tanks are but I wouldn't recommend it :P

Now i'm not sure what problems you have with the boss but this is how we did it during progression and how we do it till now cause we are comfortable with the tactic.

We use ring + cd's on the pull and burn boss while dealing with the mechanics.
    Now at this gear level we have at the moment we might not get an add but during progression we were getting 1 add and 2 meteors.

How we deal with the add is simple.
    A kiter preferably hunter who has hes trap glyphed picks it up and moves it across the room and traps it and keeps it trapped till we reach p2 where our construct just keeps a prison on the add till the boss dies.

Now it is essential to remember that each time a meteor hits it will break the Trap the hunter has on the add so it needs to re-trapped.

When the 1st dominator spawns we use Bloodlust 3sec in advance + second pot and just burn trough, at this point you have won the fight and let me explain why.
    It does not matter how much hp the construct at this point has, obviously the more the better cause during progression you might miss a interupt or two but you shouldn't.
    Now it is important that every ranged after the dominator is dead swap and kill the ghosts because at this point you will have only 1 line of slow and if ppl are out of position might result in ghosts actually reaching faster then you tough so we found out its better to have all ranged clean them up instantly after the dominator is dead and put the second set of slow and continue with the people asigned to kill ghosts.

For the second dominator we save our ring and we pop it in a way that it actually explodes on the dominator that is + cd's and he dies before the aoe he does is finished and there are no casts during that period so construct takes 0 dmg, after that continue interupting and boss should be dead soon after.

Just to add another thing there is another way to deal with the add in p1 if you want to not have it during p2 so the contruct has to put prisons on it.
    Delay the ring before you pop it on p1 and make it explode on the add and just burn the 15-20% left on it but remember you have to stun it because he starts casting a heal at 50% of his hp and if it finishes the cast its back to full making the ring explosion completely useless on it, only stuns work on it i would go with HoJ or legsweep or rogue controlling it till its dead.

Also it doesn't matter who gets the construct really as long as you are capable of killing the boss before 3rd dominator spawn.
    Obviously tank is the class/player you lose less if you put in the construct because you only need 1 during p2.

cheers. very insightful

Deleted
    The contruct can solo the ghosts. Our tank prisons the first wave giving him time to get the fire lines down. When the prison times out just drop the meteor on the nice stack of ghosts and they'll be one shot. Have everybody focus the dominators and then the boss.

We do it more or less the same as Ebalina but we save the ring for the dominator. If you time it perfectly and burst hard enough you can kill the dominator with the ring explosion and have no gifts go out which makes the fight hilariously easy.

We pop ring like 10-12 seconds in so when the squid spawns the ring instagibs it and that's the only one we see. If others spawns just chain stun and kill it. It's not that high on HP.

Whoever is the best at the construct should drive it. Has an additional ability now that you can drop on the ghosts to blow them all up so everyone can just go straight single target DPS spec

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    After downing gorefiend mythic (105 wipes), we will sooner or later have to deal with socrethar mythic.

a few questions:

1) Do Voracious Soulstalkers spawn in phase 2?
    2) If Voracious Soulstalkers don't spawn in phase 2, should we aim for a single phase 2 kill because soulstalkers are hard?
    3) Should we have our "best" player, control the construct, even if it is a dps or a healer, resulting in dps loss, if that "best" player is better at the construct than say our tanks?
    I intended to stop in and post earlier. You've already had 1 and 2 answered.

I took a slightly different approach to the fight with our guild. We've had issues in the past with construct piloting. I decided we had the dps to solo tank the entire fight from the start. We have always pushed P1 after the 2nd reverb blows but before the 3rd one. At our current ilvl (737ish) we're now skipping the felburst in P1. Use a Painsup + the tanks own cooldowns to survive the 2nd reverb blows.

P2 I (boomkin) personally pilot the construct. I don't enjoy it but the fight is built around it performing at a high level while the raid manages adds for you. Ignore ghosts except to run fire lines. All ranged on first set of ghosts. If your fire lines aren't great they may need to help until the 3rd fire line. 4th fireline over top of your first line (it'll expire before portal change) and make sure it is laid so that it starts under the portal. Don't start prisoning ghosts until you're about to push for kill (boss sub 20%). Prison on cd, don't forget about prisoning the add. I use the Felburst to open the phase on dominators, otherwise I don't use it because it's another way to kill somebody. I yell "Watch your feet" in vent so people know to look for the ground graphic and be in a safe place. Don't use it on the ghosts unless your available ranged dps is simply incapable of clearing them before the next group (so you can safely lay fire lines).

I use a healing CD for the felburst in P1, and that healing cd will be assigned for gift of the manari on the 2nd dominator. Also assign a strong healing CD (Revival > Tranq > HTT > Hymn) for the first dominator's gift of the manari. I've always used two defensive cooldowns per dominator on the raid for gifts as well. This week I had Devo/SLT/Smokebomb for the first and Barrier/SLT/Smokebomb for the 2nd. If you have the luxury of a warrior in your raid it needs to VIG the CONSTRUCT on the FIRST DOMINATOR.

Destro locks, boomkins, frost mages, and ele shaman are all awesome for managing your ghosts. Spriest/hunter/arcane mage are all excellent for managing shadowcallers that aren't gripped into melee. Once they are gripped into melee forget about them - Construct reverb blows + melee cleave take care of them. Lust on the first dominator obviously. 2nd is a joke because the boss is casting apoc.

One issue we discovered after using a new interrupter is to make sure all your interrupters are using the same boss mod. We SUDDENLY had a night of terrible interrupts because the new interrupter was using a different boss mod. They all now use DBM so that the behavior dealing with dominator's shield is the same. Such frustration.

If you have any further questions you (or anybody) are more then welcome to message me for info/my experiences or btag add.

Edit: I have two macros that I use to make targeting SO much easier.

/tar sargerei dominator
    /startattack

and

/tar soul of socrethar
    /startattack

I put these as Shift-2 and Shift-3 on my bar. 1-whatever change for the bosses abilities but I am still able to use these on my 2nd bar. It's almost impossible to manually target the dominator and start attacking it, and if you don't have reverb blows up for it (It happens) then it's very very hard to get meaningful construct damage on the dominator. So I spam my dom macro when its coming out and then make sure to hit my soc macro when it dies.

Dont worry you'll laugh how much easier this is compared to gorefiend. The ring just lets you skip new mechanics like Iskar too so its pretty much heroic with more hp/dmg. You should be able to just use ring and kill first add and phase it before another add. Have the tank just put fire lines down and use the meteor on ghosts, should kill all them if grouped up right and have range finish off ones that were missed. Make sure interrupters dont miss and dominators get burnt down quick. Dont have too many caster adds up at once. Gifts ppl are opposite side of ghost portal and behind rest of raid

Deleted
    Phase 1

- use ring like 12 seconds before add spawns and let hunter or mage use it. When add spawns (either melee, or ranged group) call it out, let ring user to get near it and add will die to ring explosion. After that, just avoid meteors, bring bubles and charges out of raid.
    - You can use Barrier/Rallying cry for meteor. You dont really need those cooldowns in phase 2. Just make sure people are not low hp, before meteor falls

Phase 2

Exactly like HC, but there will be only 2 dominators. Use heroism and potion for first dominator and ring 12 secs before second dominator spawns. Second dominator will die super fast with ring explosion so your construct wont die. Remember to make interupt rotation for boss, ranged deal with adds and just trap ghosts.

Get loot and be happy

Deleted
    We let the first ring explode on the add (because for some reason no one was capable of kiting/stunning). We single-tank the fight (because phase 1 is over after 3 smashes and any tank should be able to take those, no second tank needed, and an extra dps makes the phase go even faster), so any capable player can go construct (which for us is still the other tank, who went dps spec, because at least he knows what to do).

P2, most important thing is the interrupt rotation, you need at least 3 (short cd, so melee or tank) interrupts for that. You can (barely) deal with 1 missed interrupt, but it's scary as fuck and will probably cause a wipe in the end. Also you should save cooldowns/rings for dominators, you will probably get 2 of those. If you have a warrior in the raid, have him pop vigilance on the construct for first dominator. Second dominator falls within the bosses apocalypse (I think that's what it's called) cast, which means that as long as you kill the dominator within that cast (you should easily be able to do that), it's fine, the construct will be safe (of course if you happen to have a spare vigilance, there is no reason not to use it for safety sake).

If you phase back to phase 1, and you are used to a cheese strat (using the ring to ignore the existence of the add, using only 1 tank), it's a guaranteed wipe. Even if you are actually doing tactics properly, it's probably still a wipe. Also it's simply unnecessary. Just make sure you have a set interrupt rotation with vocal people (who can call out if they can't interrupt for whatever reason) and even call out the interrupt order if necessary (I actually call out every single interrupt on that fight, including the backups). Have backups as well, sometimes it's tricky if an interrupt will be off cooldown or not (I've had it happen once or twice that I simply could not get my interrupt because it had half a second of cooldown left). Not sure what causes that to happen, since it should be ok to have 3 people interrupting, as far as I know.

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    one of both tanks most to get a robot function, dont need a 2 tanks on phase 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Anesthetic View Post
    I intended to stop in and post earlier. You've already had 1 and 2 answered.

I took a slightly different approach to the fight with our guild. We've had issues in the past with construct piloting. I decided we had the dps to solo tank the entire fight from the start. We have always pushed P1 after the 2nd reverb blows but before the 3rd one. At our current ilvl (737ish) we're now skipping the felburst in P1. Use a Painsup + the tanks own cooldowns to survive the 2nd reverb blows.

P2 I (boomkin) personally pilot the construct. I don't enjoy it but the fight is built around it performing at a high level while the raid manages adds for you. Ignore ghosts except to run fire lines. All ranged on first set of ghosts. If your fire lines aren't great they may need to help until the 3rd fire line. 4th fireline over top of your first line (it'll expire before portal change) and make sure it is laid so that it starts under the portal. Don't start prisoning ghosts until you're about to push for kill (boss sub 20%). Prison on cd, don't forget about prisoning the add. I use the Felburst to open the phase on dominators, otherwise I don't use it because it's another way to kill somebody. I yell "Watch your feet" in vent so people know to look for the ground graphic and be in a safe place. Don't use it on the ghosts unless your available ranged dps is simply incapable of clearing them before the next group (so you can safely lay fire lines).

I use a healing CD for the felburst in P1, and that healing cd will be assigned for gift of the manari on the 2nd dominator. Also assign a strong healing CD (Revival > Tranq > HTT > Hymn) for the first dominator's gift of the manari. I've always used two defensive cooldowns per dominator on the raid for gifts as well. This week I had Devo/SLT/Smokebomb for the first and Barrier/SLT/Smokebomb for the 2nd. If you have the luxury of a warrior in your raid it needs to VIG the CONSTRUCT on the FIRST DOMINATOR.

Destro locks, boomkins, frost mages, and ele shaman are all awesome for managing your ghosts. Spriest/hunter/arcane mage are all excellent for managing shadowcallers that aren't gripped into melee. Once they are gripped into melee forget about them - Construct reverb blows + melee cleave take care of them. Lust on the first dominator obviously. 2nd is a joke because the boss is casting apoc.

One issue we discovered after using a new interrupter is to make sure all your interrupters are using the same boss mod. We SUDDENLY had a night of terrible interrupts because the new interrupter was using a different boss mod. They all now use DBM so that the behavior dealing with dominator's shield is the same. Such frustration.

If you have any further questions you (or anybody) are more then welcome to message me for info/my experiences or btag add.

Edit: I have two macros that I use to make targeting SO much easier.

/tar sargerei dominator
    /startattack

and

/tar soul of socrethar
    /startattack

I put these as Shift-2 and Shift-3 on my bar. 1-whatever change for the bosses abilities but I am still able to use these on my 2nd bar. It's almost impossible to manually target the dominator and start attacking it, and if you don't have reverb blows up for it (It happens) then it's very very hard to get meaningful construct damage on the dominator. So I spam my dom macro when its coming out and then make sure to hit my soc macro when it dies.
    You write a lot of information, but some of it is downright harmful or terrible. I've put emphasis on the issues I take with your strategy (especially for a progressing guild):

1: Just drop a meteor on the ghosts. You don't need ranged to help on them - that's lost DPS.
    Likewise, I am FAIRLY sure that the fire lines despawn after 2 minutes, and the portals last 2 minutes; This means that you don't need to "reapply" a fire line. Either way if you drop meteors on ghosts you barely even need ANY fire.

2: You can't seriously be telling me that you consistently use the felburst on the dominator. It's borderline retarded. We tested it one night to see how the ability worked, and the result was fairly clear: 1.6M damage, with the chance of oneshotting any raiders standing too close (and a 150K hit to all raiders standing right outside the zone). You lose more damage from your melee being unable to HIT the dominator for the few seconds it takes before the thing crashes down. Don't fucking use the meteor on the dominator.

3: Nothing should be "Managing shadowcallers that aren't gripped in". Both hunters and Arcane mages have fairly major cleave components (Chim shot and Unstable magic), and should be focusing entirely on the boss for the entire fight. Anything else is lost damage. If your DK can't grip in the adds, he needs to sort his shit out, and if there's no DK in the raid, you need to assign two ranged dps to interrupt the first cast the adds do in alternating order, so the add runs straight to the melee and gets cleaved into the ground.

Socrethar is a 100% singletarget fight. Nothing should need to be done about ANY adds except for the dominators that requires dps to switch.