Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

gem or wf on a weapon

so as the tittle says what is more important on a class that scales with weapon damage, gem or wf ?

Warforged without a doubt. For pretty much every single class.

15+ Year Old Account
    WF for weapon and trinkets
    Sock for everything else
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    For melee: Warforged is usually better because the WF weapon deals more damage.
    For casters: I would say it depends on the stats on the weapon itself. If the stats are ideal for the spec then WF would be better but if you have sub optimal stats then an epic gem might be better.

This, I have to say, is my own reasoning. I have to theorycraft to back it up.
    Warforged will still be better. My warforged mythic gavel has 162 more spell power than the non-warforged version. That alone tramps a 75 secondary gem, not to mention adding the intellect and the secondary stats (even if suboptimal).

I wouldnt set that as a hard rule. The actual stats on the item do play a part on the desicion and of course the only way to get a sort of "definitive" answer is to use a sim. I, for one, rather have (as an enchancement shaman) an epic Haste gem than an extra helping of versatility and crit.
    You completely neglect the weapon damage in your case.

I just edited my comment to account for that XD. I was talking mainly for non-weapon slots.
    Yeah but the post refers to weapons and his reply refers to weapons. Still the edit clears that up I guess.

Deleted
    ok thanks for the help

Why not both?

BiS for lots is MH/OH both WF/Socketed.

Quote Originally Posted by Plastkin View Post
    Why not both?

BiS for lots is MH/OH both WF/Socketed.
    I presume the question is more like: "I had X weapon with Socket and now I coined it WF, non-socketed, which one do I use?"

Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    I presume the question is more like: "I had X weapon with Socket and now I coined it WF, non-socketed, which one do I use?"
    A general answer to that question (for every slot) is to equip both and compare, or just compute the stat differences. *shrug*

I wouldnt set that as a hard rule. The actual stats on the item do play a part on the desicion and of course the only way to get a sort of "definitive" answer is to use a sim. I, for one, rather have (as an enchancement shaman) an epic Haste gem than an extra helping of versatility and crit on non weapon/ trinkets slots.

Again, it takes a bit more thinking than to just say WF is better than Gem. For weapons and trinkets I think that rule works well enough, for other slots it might be worth checking weights and/or runing sims if you are into that sort of thing. I try to account for stats but its not every day that you come across the same item, one with a socket and one warforged, but thats the reasoning behind how I would choose.
    congratz on answering a question no-one asked.

it was socket VS WF, not what off-stats vs off-stats, nor trinkets or other slots.

the question was simply WARFORGED or SOCKET for weapons.

- - - Updated - - -

For melee: Warforged is usually better because the WF weapon deals more damage.
    For casters: I would say it depends on the stats on the weapon itself. If the stats are ideal for the spec then WF would be better but if you have sub optimal stats then an epic gem might be better.

This, I have to say, is my own reasoning. I have to theorycraft to back it up.
    and theorycrafting? bullshit, for casters spellpower is the best by far, so warforged = a big chunk of spellpower +int, which beats 75 off stats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warforged easily, it's like 150ish spellpower more even in before the extra secondary stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    WF for weapon and trinkets
    Sock for everything else
    Quoting this for emphasis.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drish View Post
    Quoting this for emphasis.
    quoting this for emphasising that its not always the case :P

for a rogue WF is best for MH, but socket in OH. and only soul cap and class trinket is better as WF, the rest is better with socket.
    socket is better in all the other gear slots.

For melee, if a weapons damage contributes to your special attacks, its better as warforged.
    For casters the weapon spell power has the same effect as weapon dmg, more or less. but a offhand is best with socket
    Last edited by mmocb8ddf2b91b; 2016-03-19 at 10:52 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    for casters spellpower is the best by far
    Though I agree that caballitomalo wrote a lot of bs and falsehood in this thread, this is one as well.

"Spellpower is the best by far" as a generalization is not true, especially at gear levels beyond 735+

For shadow priests and affliction locks, Mastery outperforms Spellpower in most cases. Sometimes haste as well.
    For Arcane mages, mastery can outperform spellpower.
    Elemental: mult > sp
    ... the list goes on.

So only if it provides way more spellpower than you lose secondaries, WF outperforms a socket, which is only true on weapons. But this does not, by implication, mean that SP is better than secondaries (at high gear levels).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    warforged every time.
    The world needs more people like you, makes it so much easier to get sockets when people think WF is better

Xhulneck wf for example gains you 15mastery, 6crit and 15int theres not even a reason to even sim it compared to a gem(assuming your brain is working.)
    Last edited by mmocb930624b69; 2016-03-22 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleks View Post
    The world needs more people like you, makes it so much easier to get sockets when people think WF is better

Xhulneck wf for example gains you 15mastery, 6crit and 15int theres not even a reason to even sim it compared to a gem(assuming your brain is working.)
    I really think people are just misquoting that.

Question: Is gem or warforged better on a weapon?
    Answer: Warforged every time.

To me, that clearly refers to weapons. I don't know why people choose to believe otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixthumbs View Post
    Though I agree that caballitomalo wrote a lot of bs and falsehood in this thread, this is one as well.

"Spellpower is the best by far" as a generalization is not true, especially at gear levels beyond 735+

For shadow priests and affliction locks, Mastery outperforms Spellpower in most cases. Sometimes haste as well.
    For Arcane mages, mastery can outperform spellpower.
    Elemental: mult > sp
    ... the list goes on.

So only if it provides way more spellpower than you lose secondaries, WF outperforms a socket, which is only true on weapons. But this does not, by implication, mean that SP is better than secondaries (at high gear levels).
    While the way he put it isn't great, the extra spellpower you get will always be better than 75 of a secondary stat for every caster. Because you aren't comparing 1 spellpower to 1 secondary, you're comparing ~100-163 SP to 75 of a secondary (MWF Edict has 163 SP over non WF). Thats before considering the extra haste/mastery that comes with the WF staff.

So yes, the warforged on weapon will always be the way to go. You're arguing a point no one made.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleks View Post

WEAPON, read the title please, for gods sake read the fucking title read the damn question!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vedni View Post
    While the way he put it isn't great, the extra spellpower you get will always be better than 75 of a secondary stat for every caster. Because you aren't comparing 1 spellpower to 1 secondary, you're comparing ~100-163 SP to 75 of a secondary (MWF Edict has 163 SP over non WF). Thats before considering the extra haste/mastery that comes with the WF staff.

So yes, the warforged on weapon will always be the way to go. You're arguing a point no one made.
    i think people are trying to be clever and outsmart others, oooh look i can prove them wrong.

instead they just use math badly look stupid and get it wrong, as you have said 751 weapon > 745+75 stats, as the 751 gains off stats, int/stam/spellpower, in the end you probably gain like 45 off stats lose 180 spellpower.