Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    I didn't play RotMK, not sure why. Might have been burned out on the genre when it was released. Regarding Tilted Mill, I'm not sure what's going on there. I did read something a while back where they said Medieval Mayor was put on indefinite hold but I can't recall if there was a reason why given, or if TM are even still around. I rather suspect the company is dead, which is a shame. Hopefully they can regroup and get MM made.

I liked Caesar IV as well. The 3D graphics did remove some of the quaint charm of the predecessors, but it was a good game. I also maintain that CivCity Rome, by Firefly (the makers of the Stronghold series) was an under-rated city builder.
    Never played CivCity TBH though I always meant to. I didn't really play any of the rome city builders after Caesar IV , though quite a few were released. I just got Grand Ages : Rome Gold Edition from bundlestars so I will give that a shot since all this talking about city builders makes me want to play something new from the genre.

I have that one in my Steam library, had forgotten about it. Just installed and poked around in the tutorial. Seems a bit underwhelming, I guess because I was "raised" on the worker mechanics of the Impressions (Sierra) games, so the radius effect thing is a bit weak in my opinion.
    The narration in that tutorial is dreadful though! And the music, ye gods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

On one hand, I echo the suggestion of Banished. On the other, like another posted mentioned, it's kind of... well, I don't want to say simple. No, it's more like... I played it, there was no campaign, so it was literally just surviving the first winter and if I did that, I knew I was fine. Why keep playing all that long, then? That thought hit me at year 30 of my first successful village, and since then I haven't really played.

There's no point, other than to keep the village going to keep the village going, to keep the village going. There are no monuments to build, no rival settler civilizations to send legionnaires at so they can do their little jumpy-fighty dance in front of a barracks. Just keep fishing, keep gathering berries and roots, keep making firewood in ridiculous quantities to sell for anything you want from the traders that come by. Congrats, you won the game. Keep doing this for many more hours if it's super exciting to you, wasn't for me.

It's a real shame, too, because Banished really could have been AMAZING. But there was nothing built on top of the excellent foundation, so you were just left with "...huh, okay" after some hours of play.

Well to be fair Banished was the work of one guy.
    For my part, the biggest joy I get out of city builders is just watching my settlement operate - see granaries and stockyards fill and empty, buildings upgrade, workers going on their routes, producers stocking goods and creating new items to send to markets and storage, all that stuff. So Banished does pretty well there. The problem I have with Banished is that some of the actions of my villagers make no sense at all, or they take forever to switch to new jobs, or just flat out neglect to do things like get food. There are some rather significant shortcomings with villager AI in the game, which prevents it from being truly enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

There are some rather significant shortcomings with villager AI in the game, which prevents it from being truly enjoyable.
    Never order your villagers to build tunnel across the mountain, with other side being barely accessible.

You will lose your sanity.

Anno would be my best guess. I've only ever played 2070 and 2205. When I first played 2070 I couldn't believe how a game like that snuck under my radar. It definitely has resource management. You have these tiers, starting at basic and advancing as your population grows and advances. Eventually you get to a point where the goods you produce for each, I'll call them "factions", start to cross-over and you you need to produce stuff from one faction to supply the other ones. Loved the building and trade management as well. Also underwater building. Hell yes. edit: Oh and research. Researching and producing upgrades for all your stuff was fantastic as well.

Well to be fair Banished was the work of one guy.
    And its an amazing entry for his resume...

It covered all the foundations for the game perfectly, but then forgot the fundamentals of games...

Goals & Objectives.

What would Monopoly be if every player just kept going around the board collecting more and more money ? (Well, bad example, it'd prolly be about as fun as normal Monopoly is, I guess.)

I think this is (sadly) a posterchild of where Early Access failed.

Early Access *should* be giving the developer funds for a promising game to facilitate its development. Even for a 'niche game', Banished seemed to receive a decent amount of attention in Early Access, and seemed to do alright in sales (maybe thats just my guess, but I keep seeing a *lot* of people that said they've played it.... where most early access games are.... unknown to people). Assuming it did OK in sales, why are we left with a "one man band" doing everything ?

I understand not every game can be Stardew Valley, but it seems to me that the "complete" version of Banished is more suited for what could be called a Beta. All major systems are in place, and time to add the actual gameplay elements.

(and yes, I know Stardew Valley was done by 1 person as well)

Oh, and I'll add Rimworld into the mix of suggestions, although its umm... more in the "base builder" genre, than I'd relate to Settlers. I think they started up on Steam recently too ? I dunno, haven't kept up with that game.

Want to play the best PvP game of all time?

Come on down and check it out, what do you have to lose. Free to play. Hours of endless fun and some of the best, most fast pace PvP you will find in any game.

Tight knit community that will make you feel like you matter.

returnofwar.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmZcTCRtM70

Deleted
    I agree with the Anno suggestions. One game you could have a look at as well is Project Aura. It's still in early access though!

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    I think this is (sadly) a posterchild of where Early Access failed.

Early Access *should* be giving the developer funds for a promising game to facilitate its development. Even for a 'niche game', Banished seemed to receive a decent amount of attention in Early Access, and seemed to do alright in sales (maybe thats just my guess, but I keep seeing a *lot* of people that said they've played it.... where most early access games are.... unknown to people). Assuming it did OK in sales, why are we left with a "one man band" doing everything ?

I understand not every game can be Stardew Valley, but it seems to me that the "complete" version of Banished is more suited for what could be called a Beta. All major systems are in place, and time to add the actual gameplay elements.
    But you are entirely wrong with that. It delivered exactly 100% of what was promised within not only early access but even prior to that. He had set goals and he fulfilled every single one of them, delivering a product that was pretty much bugless and feature full.

It was also extensively showcased by various Youtubers whom specialize in these sort of games with long lets plays where you could get full view on how the finished product will be.

Saying that this was failure of early access only showcases that you have some pretty weird distorted view on the whole thing, as if the process was meant to somehow be used for prolonging release to bloat game with more and more features rather than give players a sneak peek to unfinished product and possibly help with testing if one so wishes.

It delivered 100%, it did so without any large issues and as such is a sound success as far as the system is concerned.

You wanting more has nothing to do with that.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988