Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Perhaps the biggest reason the private server was shut down:

meh. they showed org in WoD... who the fuck goes to org anymore? org is the main capital in vanilla. im willing to bet if that same person took a ss of ashran or un-phased garrison of a server, there would be a shit ton more people in the WoD ss
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    For reference I've been supporting the closure of pservers. With that in mind - yes, I think in many ways vanilla was superior (I don't know that I would go as far as saying objectively superior but IMO it certainly was). That doesn't excuse theft or piracy or whatever you want to call it.
    Sure, for the intents of having an actual MMO world ; in that regard, Vanilla was more extensive and a lot more immersive.

Quote Originally Posted by morpen View Post
    God damn it! I had JUST found out about the server and made an account a couple days ago!

Why can't blizzard just make a Vanilla server and be done with it?! I don't give a rat's ass if it will ''split up the community'' I just wanna play Vanilla!
    Then invent a time machine and go back to 2004.

Deleted
    Just because something is illegal doesnt mean something is wrong or immoral.
    What Blizzard is doing here is no different than copyright trolling.
    Sitting on a copyrights to something that there is demand for and refusing to produce it is nothing short of douchebaggery.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioningWho View Post
    I'm absolutely disgusted by some of the attitudes of the anti-nostalrius individuals here in this thread. You all cry "thief!" and "criminal!", provoking those who are affected by the closing of this server. You've gone out of your way to kick these people while they're down. All for... what? To make yourselves feel superior? To somehow demonstrate that you hold some sort of moral high ground? Or is it to show off yours seemingly infinite wisdom that you believe you possess?

The fact of the matter is, there are THOUSANDS of people who are upset by this turn of events. Just as your retail World of Warcraft means something to you, so too did Nostalrius mean something to a great many people. Take a moment and ask yourselves, how would you feel if (when) Blizzard shut down retail World of Warcraft? Would it not upset you, too? Would it make you feel any better to have those who enjoyed different games laughing at your plight?

What's wrong with some of you? Has the internet really become so toxic a place that we must publicly celebrate the negative circumstances that come upon those who differ from us, and go out of our way to humiliate them?

And what crime did Nostalrius players commit? How did they ever harm you? The only thing the Nostalrius community is guilty of is being passionate. A passion for the game, the world, and their fellow players.

With your attitudes, the only thing you've championed today is Blizzard's coffers. Not World of Warcraft. Not the MMO community. Not video games. The wallets of a few excessively wealthy individuals. That's who you've stood up for today with all your apathetic ridiculing and harassment. Bravo. You can rest easy tonight in your knowing that you were there to kick a few poor men and women who were down after losing perhaps one of their most beloved hobbies. A hobby which in no way truly negatively impacted you or anyone else.
    This is pathetic, a private server of a video game got shut down and people get this dramatic over it? Talk about problems...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raego View Post
    This is pathetic, a private server of a video game got shut down and i get this dramatic over it? Talk about problems...
    Well, they made a fair amount of emotional investment and time investment, of course they feel sad.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Well, they made a fair amount of emotional investment and time investment, of course they feel sad.
    Gotta live for the memories and not the trophies
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

The popularity of those servers was a threat to Blizzard. There were more people on them then a lot of retail servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Imagine the outrage and tears when live servers will shut down. Oh my god i wish i'll be alive when it happens
    Probably will be like SWG, by the time it reaches that point there will be so few people who care it will barely be a blip on he radar screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Just because something is illegal doesnt mean something is wrong or immoral.
    What Blizzard is doing here is no different than copyright trolling.
    Sitting on a copyrights to something that there is demand for and refusing to produce it is nothing short of douchebaggery.
    What even is this comment...?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nillah View Post
    Yeah and if the feds showed up at my door to arrest me for downloading music illegally I can't make the argument that, "but... but I enjoyed it!! I wasn't hurting anyone it was just for fun why are you stopping me!!" because it's fucking stealing and I would deserve to go to jail or be fined for it.
    They wont show up... Thats what your parents tells you to make you scared. They dont give a damn if you download music/films. They are after the ppl that steals it in the first place, the original uploader, patient zero. Else the feds would show up to your friends and neighbors every damn time, I promise you. But sure, lets say the sec you press "download" fucking swat come from the windows and arrest you.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thats a dick move, i really enjoyed how good the server was when it comes to community, quality and responsiveness.

Blizzard has all the right to do it, but still a dick move, nonetheless
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    They wont show up... Thats what your parents tells you to make you scared. They dont give a damn if you download music/films. They are after the ppl that steals it in the first place, the original uploader, patient zero. Else the feds would show up to your friends and neighbors every damn time, I promise you. But sure, lets say the sec you press "download" fucking swat come from the windows and arrest you.
    "It's fine because I won't get caught" Doesn't change the fact that it's illegal. What sort of person thinks that? Once you try to downplay the consequences of one crime, the lines of others become blurred as well.
    Bleh

All i see is the people getting screwed while the few in a company benefit, yet thats ok for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    meh. they showed org in WoD... who the fuck goes to org anymore? org is the main capital in vanilla. im willing to bet if that same person took a ss of ashran or un-phased garrison of a server, there would be a shit ton more people in the WoD ss
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you pretty much have to group up with someone else to go to their garrison? Likewise with Ashran, you gotta queue up to actually get in the battle? On Nostalrius you didn't have to be invited to a group or queue up to see a lot of players. You just logged on and went anywhere.

Find it hilarious that ppl actually find it suprising that blizzard shut down when their game was being used illegally. However, i do would love an official vanilla server that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    It's more of a thing to look at it as a long term investment, which it just isn't there. To what you said about the sub growth, yeah it grew steadily until the end of WotLK which was while the game was still fresh.
    WOTLK was the grand end of the lore hype, the entire culmination of the warcraft universe as we knew it. For a vast number of players, the defeat of the Lich King was the end for them. It was time to move on in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    It's more of a thing to look at it as a long term investment, which it just isn't there. To what you said about the sub growth, yeah it grew steadily until the end of WotLK which was while the game was still fresh. WoW isn't bringing new players in yet. While I'm sure they will with the movie, do you think people will chose to play the game that's loaded with game play issues, an old engine, out dated graphics (the newer generations care about graphics way more than we do) and a slower playstyle? Or will they go to the new expansion with all the new features, new classes, new races, and 50 more levels of content. The only people that will go to the old servers will be people who are currently playing who want to relive the past for a short period of time. Classic servers on games are almost always dead in comparison to the newer version and we can even use Diablo 2 as an example again. Even with the new patch log in and look at the classic ladder versus the expansion ladder. The player base is tiny in comparison and those are able to run on the same server. It's a market that has a limited pool of players that won't grow. I've played this game since it was in closed beta, I still have my original characters with old stuff, I have multiple vanilla legendaries including Atiesh, I have Burning Crusade gladiator mounts, I have the old titles, but I will tell people to this day that it's fun for a small period of time to relive those days , but it will fade. The same as the love for a new content patch fades over time.

Now, if we're going to say people would love to play those times, I think expansion race seasons would be something Blizzard might consider. Do leagues like Path of Exile does. A short season of 2-4 months where you start fresh with different rule sets, say "Vanilla race, 1 to Kel'thuzad clear. 4 month league". Those would be fun and give so much replayability without relying on staff to keep the player base stuck in a time lapse. It would even give Blizzard a way to add more achievement (Feats probably) mounts and titles. Imagine a title for clearing Burning Crusade on that. <Blank, the Slayer of Kil'jaeden> , <Blank, the Lich King's Fall> , <Blank, Defiler of Naxxaramas> That's where it would be a financial masterpiece.

Not a bad idea, but I disagree with your assertion that it's fun for a small period of time to relive those days , but it will fade. Nost has been out for over a year, the pvp server hadn't even released AQ yet and thousands were enjoying it on many different levels. And thats just one server, the most popular, in a sea of private servers people have already been enjoying for years. It might be that way for you but it isn't that way for everyone else. I didn't have atiesh, but I have glad mounts and all the old titles as well, and have cleared all pve content in wow outside of the last couple bosses in naxx on retail and I still enjoy playing that version of the game over the current iteration. I'm still subbed and cleared all current content months ago, only log in to do garrisons occasionally. I've been having a blast for months playing lower level characters, leveling classes and playing the other faction, exploring areas I never really checked out back then, but its not really even about all that for me. The original game is a better MMO in my opinion that I can testify to with the amount of people I've met and friends I've made in my short time there. That is just currently not the case when I start a new character on a retail server.
    Last edited by feellucky; 2016-04-07 at 06:35 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theoris View Post
    What even is this comment...?
    It's true, tho.

There are laws that are made out of nessecity and times ; Not out of moral bakrupcy or the likes.

And it is true ; The people did not gain money on it. If anything, if i was Blizzard, i'd sanction this as terms of Fair Use.

10+ Year Old Account
    For sometime i wanted ask one question, but i was affraid. Now i got the chance?

Few years ago i readed on some Poland forums, that private servers are legit, until people who work on them they don't get any money from that, or stolen Blizz files? Can someone explain it?