Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Hate" comes from Internet being Internet. Let's not pretend that other side isn't guilty of this, what with their "go suck Blizzard dick more" and such. Anonymity brings the worst out of many people.

Ignoring that, though, it is quite stupid to go to official forums and expect a positive reaction concerning private servers. Legally, Blizzard is in the right there, despite people twisting their words around. And even ignoring that, you go to a place where people pay money for access to a game and complain that you cannot play for free anymore. Don't be surprised that they aren't feeling sorry for your "plight". Sure, monetary aspect isn't usually THE most important thing, but it annoys plenty of people. Let's not kid ourself, a lot of PS players would never pay subscription - and I say that even though some of my guildies did start on those and eventually joined global.

Then there's the binary logic. Either you love Vanilla, or you think WoD is perfect. There's no in between in those arguments. Seeing how I still play the game, appearently I must agree with Blizzard's every decision, especially the current content drought. If I dare to speak ill of vanilla or private servers, I'm a blind fanboy - and that's the least vulgar description.

And finally, there are ridiculous comparisons. Some people are showing themselves as victims of horrible opressions - look no further than this thread. Freedom of speech, violation of human right, mentioning Gandhi in this context. This one gets to me the most. You are not some opressed minority, suffering for others who do not recognize your greatness. It's a freaking video game. On a pirate server. Maybe, *maybe* there are some people who truly believe that those are legal. But I'd expect that vast majority realized that's it's "gray area" at best, breaking the law at worst. Not a fight for freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Truculentt View Post
    I understand it a contentious topic, but generally speaking you tend to expect a certain degree of empathy from any average human when they witness a genuinely benevolent group of people suffer some form of agony or emotional pain.

but official forums be like "OMG yes i hope you all die you're worse than the terroriest and all the evil and..."

just... why.
    It's called bandwagoning. Not to mention we live in culture that prefers to demonize everything instead of being rational.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    It's called bandwagoning. Not to mention we live in culture that prefers to demonize everything instead of being rational.
    It's a central part of the human psyche to come down on people who violate important social norms for selfish reasons.

Copyright (and IP protection in general) are the reason we even had World of Warcraft to begin with. The pirates want to have their cake and eat it too. They want the fruits of this IP protection regime, but be able to violate it when it personally benefits them. So, you should not be at all surprised typical rule-abiding people will view this with scorn. That's what happens to social cheaters.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by lolpve View Post
    It's not even worth discussing blizzard objectively on official forums or on here because there is a hive mind of blizzard fanboyism that attacks any sort of criticism of the company.

It reminds me of reddit in how SJWs have corrupted that site to the point that politically incorrect subs have to fear for their existence. Some people are simply suck-ups and control freaks, especially on blizz forums.
    You honestly want to go there and claim in that ocean of tears was somewhere an objective point worth discussing hidden ?
    People got emotional about the loss - fine. But that's about it there is nothing else of substance and even that one is rather thin.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2016-04-10 at 01:42 PM.

its pirated and illegal

/thread

10+ Year Old Account
    People are really getting hostile about their private servers being shut down. Yet act as if this is Blizzards fault? What a messed up world we live in.

People are being extreme on both sides I understand, but Jesus do we really need to many threads?
    Last edited by Orby; 2016-04-10 at 01:54 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    its pirated and illegal

/thread
    I don't play private servers and I support IP rights.

However this sort of attitude does make me puke. I don't get my moral code from a fucking corporation, their terms and conditions, or what lawyers do.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    People are really getting hostile about their private servers being shut down. Yet act as if this is Blizzards fault? What a messed up world we live in.

People are being extreme on both sides I understand, but Jesus do we really need to many threads?
    People lost their hobby, an hobby Blizzard refuses to officially implement. It's only obvious that there are going to be plenty of loud voices talking against that decision.

Had this been a WoD private server, I wouldn't be able to care less, as that'd merely be a bunch of people, interested in the current Live version of WoW, but simply dodging the payment and being overall scummy.
    However this was a Vanilla server. For whatever reason these people had for enjoy it, it's something that can't be experienced anywhere else, via official means.

Everyone knows Blizzard has every right to shut it down, that was never in question.
    The issue is: Is Blizzard right in doing so?

It's not like these people will now flock retail WoW, because WoD is not what they are interested in playing, so I can't see a valid reason why Blizzard did it, other than "because we can".

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    No? Why would it?
    So you're just throwing out random insults at random people? Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    They alone sum up exactly why Private Server talk turns into an infinite circular argument. People take a side, get too worked up, and then just repeat the same two phrases back and forth forever.
    That's basically every WoW argument I've ever seen forever :-/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    It's a central part of the human psyche to come down on people who violate important social norms for selfish reasons.

Copyright (and IP protection in general) are the reason we even had World of Warcraft to begin with. The pirates want to have their cake and eat it too. They want the fruits of this IP protection regime, but be able to violate it when it personally benefits them. So, you should not be at all surprised typical rule-abiding people will view this with scorn. That's what happens to social cheaters.
    Considering "important social norm" the right to prevent anyone playing a disappeared 11 years old game is pretty frightening. You guys should see a doctor instead of posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    A genuinely benevolent group? You mean guys like these here: https://www.change.org/p/michael-mor...ty/c/430227677 ?

Or those who steal IP and setup server that runs on "donations" that get pocketed?

Why they are saints, I'm sure if that private server would keep running they'd cure cancer too!
    Do you like painting with such a broad brush? You should start a fence painting business. Judging a LARGE group of people because a few 12 year-old's said something rude makes you look stupid, and tells everyone a lot about your character.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Considering "important social norm" the right to prevent anyone playing a disappeared 11 years old game is pretty frightening. You guys should see a doctor instead of posting.
    You guys should be sure to tell any future employers that you consider obeying laws to be optional.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Considering "important social norm" the right to prevent anyone playing a disappeared 11 years old game is pretty frightening.
    It's not a disappeared game. You people sound like little children thinking you're fighting somekind of a social struggle of our ages with this.

You guys should see a doctor instead of posting.
    Some projecting going on there perhaps?

Because they know what Classic is.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Deleted
    Because people there are all shills and blizzdrones, just like here.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmongoldy View Post
    Because people there are all shills and blizzdrones, just like here.
    Nice buzzwords there. How new and unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    But it was. Regardless of legal issues. If it's about business it's a dick move.

One can be a dick without intending to be a dick. The result speaks for itself.
    Please get a job that involves more than wearing a hairnet and a name badge and then see the difference between a "dick move" and protecting your business IP. Those of us over the age of 14 have learned the difference, and let me assure you it is quite a large one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pmizz View Post
    Why are you talking about Blizzard ToU

That's the document I am saying is a violation of human rights.

No Video game should be banned from being played Period. there is no argument aginst this besides just cyclical restating of why it's illegal.

I know it's illegal just like woman voting were.
    Yep, that is blood running out of my ears.

Please never post again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wet Red Sword View Post
    I hope with this lesson, those that truly do dislike these copyright laws and, who perhaps have the ability to do so, become lawyers or w/e and do their best to change some of the BS laws that they believe are so unfair. I can't say whether or not the laws are just, as I'm not very keen on all of the info, but for those who are; learn from this and change the future if you're able. Giving up and simply complaining on the forums isn't the way.
    I'm amazed some of these people can even spell lawyer. I would probably go on the lam if one of them were ever assigned to any court case I might have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Nice buzzwords there. How new and unexpected
    Said the blizzdrone shill.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Why do the people who play on private servers hate people who don't? For instance, in the thread on our forum about Nost being shut down, multiple people were banned for telling retail players that they should kill themselves.

The answer is that people, online, lose any social inhibitions.
    Except you left out the part about how these "retail players" are actually specifically people who spend their time to celebrate other people no longer having fun. They go out of their way to defend Blizzard on an indefensible position. These kinds of people deserve any "kill yourself" comments they get. Don't make it sound like private server players hate everyone that plays retail, they only hate the shitheads who defend everything Blizzard does for no reason.

edit: who am I kidding, you're one of these people lol

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Why do the people who play on private servers hate people who don't? For instance, in the thread on our forum about Nost being shut down, multiple people were banned for telling retail players that they should kill themselves.

The answer is that people, online, lose any social inhibitions.
    Pretty much this. It's a general rule when you're dealing with the Internet.