Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Flow chart demonstrating flaws in the rape reporting process

If this is a forbidden topic, go ahead and delete it.

Investigators went over the rape reporting process in Ottawa and found what they consider flaws.

If you had a daughter who wanted to report a rape, the process looks pretty horrible.

Last edited by Independent voter; 2016-04-14 at 04:36 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't browse internet on 52 inch screen, fix it.

Step 5... imagine if that was the case for everything? "Like, these 87 people said you bombed this building, come with us." "Naw, I'm good." "well, shit. Case closed."
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

That's messed up.

Wow so many of the "Flaws" are down right ridiculous. Here is an example of how horrible this is, first quote is a step in the process, second part (starting with FLAW) is the (supposed) problem with the process. "The accused is either detained or released on a bond with conditions" "FLAW: Crew says if it's a sex assault by a stranger the woman lives in fear because the accused will for the first time know his victim's name and possibly her address"

So what are they supposed to do here? Refuse to let the accused know who accused him? Yeah, that is fair for giving someone a chance to defend himself. Lock up anyone who is accused until the trial is over, despite the fact that evidence may be "weak" or that the accused may be able to prove himself to not be a flight risk?

It also talks about how if the victim changes her story as time goes along, that it might cast doubt on her credibility as a witness, under the "FLAW" section. This is how it is with every crime report. The more your story changes, the more doubt people will have, this isn't necessarily bad thing. Yes it is possible to remember a new detail and I doubt anyone is going to completely have their credibility changed for one or two changes, but constantly changing stories should and do cause doubt. There are major problems with almost all of the "FLAW" statements. This reads like someone who wants the process to be, woman accuses man, man is forced to confess (one of the actual flaws listed is that you can't force someone to testify against himself), man is locked up forever.

As an extra note this flow chart very clearly is stating that only women can be victims and only men can be the perpetrators in sexual assault.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Step 5... imagine if that was the case for everything? "Like, these 87 people said you bombed this building, come with us." "Naw, I'm good." "well, shit. Case closed."
    Try reading it again. It says the police can't force someone to talk about it, I don't know how the laws are in Canada, but the right not to answer any questions is a fundamental right of any accused in the United States, You have the right to remain silent. It isn't just a well you didn't confess so we have to let you go. It is well the woman's claim lacks any proof beyond her word and the man refused to say anything, therefore the police have to let the man go, unless they find some evidence. Hint, multiple witnesses count as evidence.
    Last edited by Utinil; 2016-04-14 at 05:02 PM.

Deleted
    It is unfortunate, many of these flaws however exist because without them we have lots of other issues.

they made a flow chart for rape? that is awesome... i guess now rapists can just look at it, find the loop hole and get away with everything...

how... awesome..

/sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    they made a flow chart for rape? that is awesome... i guess now rapists can just look at it, find the loop hole and get away with everything...

how... awesome..

/sarcasm
    Yes. And most rapists plan their actions carefully, it's nothing that mostly happens in the moment.

/sarcasm

How is this flow chart any different from any other person reporting a crime?

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Most of those "flaws" aren't unique to rape at all. They're just parts of the criminal justice system in many first world nations, and many of them can't be done away with without severely impacting your rights, due process, and so on.
    The fact that the case goes to trial 2-5 years after the incident is not "normal" by any means. And i'm sure most countries will forcefully bring in the accused and question him/her. In Sweden if you accuse someone of rape, the police/lawyer will check the victims story and if it checks out they will question witnesses and the accused. Then it's trialtime. There's no 2-5 years gap not knowing what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Most of those "flaws" aren't unique to rape at all. They're just parts of the criminal justice system in many first world nations, and many of them can't be done away with without severely impacting your rights, due process, and so on.
    Shh, you're melting the snowflakes!
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Well since I'm not a rapist, I don't see how this is relevant to my attention. Thanks tho...I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    How is this flow chart any different from any other person reporting a crime?
    Have you ever reported a crime? I've reported assault once, I simply gave my story to the police, got called to trial, had the trial and got the verdict a few weeks after. All-in-all the process took 2 months at most.

Whoever wrote those "flaws" has an axe to grind but no smarts to figure out how to do it.

Ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Utinil View Post
    Try reading it again. It says the police can't force someone to talk about it, I don't know how the laws are in Canada, but the right not to answer any questions is a fundamental right of any accused in the United States, You have the right to remain silent. It isn't just a well you didn't confess so we have to let you go. It is well the woman's claim lacks any proof beyond her word and the man refused to say anything, therefore the police have to let the man go, unless they find some evidence. Hint, multiple witnesses count as evidence.
    Ooops, yep, you right.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

What is the source of this shit so we can go to the source and lambaste them there?

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    What is the source of this shit so we can go to the source and lambaste them there?
    Well, it says Metro in the picture, i dunno man, might be Metro?

Quote Originally Posted by victork8 View Post
    Well, it says Metro in the picture, i dunno man, might be Metro?
    Was hoping for a story link, captain obvious.

Deleted
    A few of these things aren't actually flaws, though. Do consider that the justice system also has to protect the accused in the case that the allegations are false. That is why there is so much scrutiny placed on the victim; because the courts are from this point choosing whether or not to literally ruin somebody's life. Juries are not impartial, so the legal system must take every precaution it can. Murder is an easy thing to prove. Consent is not; the reason that so much pressure is placed on the victim is because rape cases almost always have absolutely no evidence behind them to prove consent or lack of.

That said, how does the accused learn the victim's name and possibly their address as well? The flow chart makes this claim but doesn't state how it happens. If it's true though, that's a pretty huge flaw.

Rape is a traumatic experience and rape reporting is traumatic for a lot of reasons, even if the process goes completely smoothly. This can be due to the fact that the reporting process makes the assault more "real" to the victim, instead of choosing to ignore it, as well as the social bias often demonstrated on the part of police officers during the reporting process. Most police officers are good cops who do their job well and most departments choose to utilize female officers in cases of rape so that victims feel more comfortable telling their story, but you still read news stories about cops who shelved rape reports because he thought she was asking for it due to wearing a short skirt or some such nonsense. These cases are in the minority but one bad egg can do a lot of damage, as we have discovered in regards to the law and race relations.