But lets be real, the biggest thing the show is missing to be more true to the books is more spanking. It isnt Wheel of Time without some good ol' spanking.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    I didn't recognise anything from that trailer that really resembled any events from book 2 or 3. The line about how they freed the dark one.... it was pretty explicit in the books that if he ever broke the seals and git free it was game over.
    I recognised some stuff from the books from the trailer but very little. But I am not a super lore buff nerd or do I pretend to be, I have seen a lot of Wheel of Time lore nerds on youtube recognise a lot of things in the trailer than I did. So if you are a die hard fan you will notice a lot of things in there
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't recognise anything from that trailer that really resembled any events from book 2 or 3. The line about how they freed the dark one.... it was pretty explicit in the books that if he ever broke the seals and git free it was game over.
    The um...I can never remember their names - the "New World" where they enslave female magic users - I recognized those. But that's about it.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I’m going through the second book now and I’m about half way through, from the trailer I recognize.

Dark friend meeting where they get told to find the boys.

“Selene” rubbing up on rand trying to get him to be great and use the power.

Perrin actively using his wolf link likely to follow the horn.

Nynaeve Going through the arch’s to become accepted.

And there’s likely more from later parts of the book and more nebulous parts like the Seanchan blasting stuff.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    But rj never wanted to keep the story intact.
    How do you mean?

I meant keeping what we already have intact, not changing it to insert their own views or whims.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    The um...I can never remember their names - the "New World" where they enslave female magic users - I recognized those. But that's about it.
    Except they all look wrong ..

The whole show is literally only using the names to try and pull in the book fanbase. Its a dumpsterfire at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxina View Post

The whole show is literally only using the names to try and pull in the book fanbase. Its a dumpsterfire at best.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've never seen a picture of them. And the descriptions I recall (which was a hell of a long time ago) don't necessarily contradict what I saw in the brief images. I'm not married to everything looking exactly like the book describes anyway.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Noxina View Post
    One of my favourite bits is the season 2 picture of the Seanchan representative with the absolutely ludicrous looking 2 foot long fingernails. Like, did nobody responsible for this series read ANY of the source material?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    One of my favourite bits is the season 2 picture of the Seanchan representative with the absolutely ludicrous looking 2 foot long fingernails. Like, did nobody responsible for this series read ANY of the source material?
    To be fair the book does say they have long nails so Mabye they just got a copy with a typo and it said loooooooong nails.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    To be fair the book does say they have long nails so Mabye they just got a copy with a typo and it said loooooooong nails.
    Yeah, but the book makes it kind of clear that they are talking something like maybe 2 inches long or so, tops. Not 2 foot long monstrosities that would make using your hands for almost anything comically impractical.

I mean, one of the first major encounters they have with the Seanchan who have the long nails involves Rand getting into a swordfight with a long nail swordsmaster guy. Swinging a sword with 2 inch long nails? Plausible. Swinging a sword with two FOOT long lacquered nails? No fucking way. They would straight snap off under their own weight if you tried to swing a sword around like that, not to mention any kind of complicated hand motions would be practically impossible.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2023-07-25 at 06:46 AM.

Like, did nobody responsible for this series read ANY of the source material?
    Nope. As I recall they admitted they knew nothing about the books.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but the book makes it kind of clear that they are talking something like maybe 2 inches long or so, tops. Not 2 foot long monstrosities that would make using your hands for almost anything comically impractical.

I mean, one of the first major encounters they have with the Seanchan who have the long nails involves Rand getting into a swordfight with a long nail swordsmaster guy. Swinging a sword with 2 inch long nails? Plausible. Swinging a sword with two FOOT long lacquered nails? No fucking way. They would straight snap off under their own weight if you tried to swing a sword around like that, not to mention any kind of complicated hand motions would be practically impossible.
    Ya the Seanchan are just ridiculous looking all around, not sure how any one would think it’s a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Nope. As I recall they admitted they knew nothing about the books.
    Rafe Judkins went out of his way multiple times to say what a huge fan he was of the books and even brought Brandon Sanderson, who finished the series after Jordans death, as a consultant to try and ensure things stayed as close to the source material as possible.

https://screenrant.com/wheel-time-sh...kins-opinions/

We know now that's a load of bullshit though, he planned on making changes (contentious ones at that), and disregarded Sandersons feedback on several occasions but the director DID read the books and claimed he was a huge fan of the source material.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Rafe Judkins went out of his way multiple times to say what a huge fan he was of the books and even brought Brandon Sanderson, who finished the series after Jordans death, as a consultant to try and ensure things stayed as close to the source material as possible.

We know now that's a load of bullshit though, he planned on making changes (contentious ones at that), and disregarded Sandersons feedback on several occasions but the director DID read the books and claimed he was a huge fan of the source material.
    Listen to people's actions, not their words.

Reminds me of the comment I always have with the show Hot Ones. So many guests on that show talk about how much they love the show and have seen multiple episodes, then are shocked when they reach The Bomb or the Last Dab moments, which are absolutely constants in every episode.

It is possible Rafe read the books, though I wouldn't count too heavily on that, however he wanted to make his own story. Like many of the people making shows in the past few years, he is making his own story in the skin-suit of the property he is supposed to be making. It is no longer a surprise and simply assumed until shown otherwise that showrunners have no respect for the properties they are in charge of. The reason so many fans are still upset about it is because he made a great showing towards the start of how much he loved and respected the story and was going to be true to the books.

If he had just said "hey, I don't care about WOT and am only doing this because they wouldn't let me make my own story. Don't expect this to be WOT in any fashion you recognize"..... all the fans would have simply walked away and said "god luck, thanks for the warning".

He was dishonest, he lied to fans, and he made a crummy show.

Actions speak louder than words.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    Listen to people's actions, not their words.
    Well yeah, we see that now. Doesn't change what's fact though. Rafe went on record to say what a fan he was and Sanderson was on staff for the show as well. So we KNOW they (people who were making the show, as Sanderson was a producer) read and understood the source material.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...h=32e1cb165f61

It is possible Rafe read the books, though I wouldn't count too heavily on that, however he wanted to make his own story. Like many of the people making shows in the past few years, he is making his own story in the skin-suit of the property he is supposed to be making. It is no longer a surprise and simply assumed until shown otherwise that showrunners have no respect for the properties they are in charge of. The reason so many fans are still upset about it is because he made a great showing towards the start of how much he loved and respected the story and was going to be true to the books.
    I know, I'm one of those people.

If he had just said "hey, I don't care about WOT and am only doing this because they wouldn't let me make my own story. Don't expect this to be WOT in any fashion you recognize"..... all the fans would have simply walked away and said "god luck, thanks for the warning".

He was dishonest, he lied to fans, and he made a crummy show.

Actions speak louder than words.
    None of this contradicts what I said before though. Rafe said he was a fan. Sanderson was on staff. They knew the source material.

He also chose to spit in the face of that material.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post

I do believe he reading is a big possibility, only by knowing something that you can truthfuly change it/ruin it.

Is like "i know X and Y needs to happen for Z, but im making a chose to remove Y all together and trade X for B"

But being a fan and still change like this? thats sus, or its just that he has such hubris that he think he can do it better, i mean, we all probably though about some event in a book and though "man maybe "this" should have happened instead of "that" or "if this was that, then the story would be better"

Sanderson is known to want his works adapted to the screen so he is not going to be rocking any boats, but you can tell in the interviews with him he hasn't been enthused about his advice being ignored or the changes being made.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sanderson is known to want his works adapted to the screen so he is not going to be rocking any boats, but you can tell in the interviews with him he hasn't been enthused about his advice being ignored or the changes being made.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comment...n_episode_one/

https://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comment...n_episode_two/

That might just be projection on your part. While Mr. Sanderson is critical of some things his general view is supportive and he even says things he didn't like turned out well. Of course the doomsayers will say what you already did that he is just protecting the ambition of his own IP.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

The WoT is not "his works". He wrote the last couple of books (based primarily from the notes Jordan had left)...but that doesn't make it his.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.