The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    That seems deaf to how the book sees the gender binary; both sides think they are really in control (while in reality they simply both contribute). I mean WoT's very clear take is that the genders are separate and different but equal and humanity is at its best when they cooperate while acknowledging their differences with WoT's original sin very much being trying to erase the gender line. Which is all so very problematic but hey, it is what it is.
    It might be deaf to the broader themes of the series but it is also just the reality of the setting.

Woman in the Aiel hold far more power then men, only woman get a vote on who can be a chief, only woman can own roofs, woman can deny any one from coming under there roof even there own clan chiefs/husbands and even if it splits in the clan in doing so.

Men get to lead other men out in the field and make some decisions for the clan but don’t have any where near as much power as the woman.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    It might be deaf to the broader themes of the series but it is also just the reality of the setting.
    Which makes one question the amazingly shitty writing in this series.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Which makes one question the amazingly shitty writing in this series.
    Why would the Aiel ignoring the broader themes make you question any thing about the show?
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Yeh, it was, but we could appreciate all those things because the writer had already set them up well.

The show however, well it's missed many of the best things in the books
    The best aspects of the characters are gone
    Some of the best fantasy opportunities gone - can you imagine how magical the eye of the world could have been.
    As for the sets.. sigh, look at how rubbish Cairhien looked, and Tar Valon is not impressive at all - looks like it was built by questionable greco roman era designers, rather than the non-human ogier.

I mean does the show even let you know they are hunting for the horn? There is no clear objective now, which at least season 1 had.

Wow, they have butchered this book completely, a re write made for middle aged ultra feminists, who want to see themselves in the book. They made their shitty fan fic, and are arrogant enough to think everyone will like it.
    Good point. Anyone understands what Season 2 is even about?

Now compare this sh..t show to One piece! That show is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post

Now compare this sh..t show to One piece! That show is fun.
    As someone who is a fan to both series... it's really odd to see how One Piece Live Action managed to get so much right that Wheel of Time couldn't come close to. I'm genuinely happy at least one of these series is being done right.

So much of the criticisms of WoT S1 was all about how it just didn't capture the spirit of the series, didn't stick enough to the main plot that should have been. And it had nothing to do with actor choices or diversity or 'changes to the book' or any of that. I can point to One Piece Live Action making sweeping changes across the board, and it still manages to capture the essence of the story and all its main themes, which is the most important thing to notice here. And Wheel of Time S1 did almost none of that, it just did it's own thing with the story and changed the very essence of the story (and many characters) for it.

And it's kinda sad that soon after, the One Piece thread will probably fall into obscurity once discussion runs dry, while shit threads like this will stay on top because of all the controversial/divisive changes made to Wheel of Time. And of course, 'it's the fans fault for not accepting change' right?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post
    Rand trying to learn how to control the power.

Perrin trying to find the horn/Padan Fain and then dealing with the Seanchan.

Nynaeve/Egwene learning to be Aes Sedai.

Moiraine trying to find out more about the Dragon prophecy.

Mat um, getting more character assassination?

all but Mat/Rand are technically things that happened in the wild hunt book but they are also wildly different then how they happened in the book to be almost unrecognizable.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    As someone who is a fan to both series... it's really odd to see how One Piece Live Action managed to get so much right that Wheel of Time couldn't come close to. I'm genuinely happy at least one of these series is being done right.

So much of the criticisms of WoT S1 was all about how it just didn't capture the spirit of the series, didn't stick enough to the main plot that should have been. And it had nothing to do with actor choices or diversity or 'changes to the book' or any of that. I can point to One Piece Live Action making sweeping changes across the board, and it still manages to capture the essence of the story and all its main themes, which is the most important thing to notice here. And Wheel of Time S1 did almost none of that, it just did it's own thing with the story and changed the very essence of the story (and many characters) for it.

And it's kinda sad that soon after, the One Piece thread will probably fall into obscurity once discussion runs dry, while shit threads like this will stay on top because of all the controversial/divisive changes made to Wheel of Time. And of course, 'it's the fans fault for not accepting change' right?
    And maybe that's the real reason why media companies aren't bothering to course correct shows like this. Beyond whether they are in it to profit, or drive subscriptions, or amazon prime numbers, or whatever.

Because the controversy - even for "crap" or "hate watching" - means more coverage, more engagement, and therefore still more $$$ then the most "popular" show that only causes discussion for a month and then get lost in the churn. That the "worst show ever" actually gets them more sustainability than the "Prestige TV show".

And ain't that just a dark and dismal future for humanity!
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    And maybe that's the real reason why media companies aren't bothering to course correct shows like this. Beyond whether they are in it to profit, or drive subscriptions, or amazon prime numbers, or whatever.

Because the controversy - even for "crap" or "hate watching" - means more coverage, more engagement, and therefore still more $$$ then the most "popular" show that only causes discussion for a month and then get lost in the churn. That the "worst show ever" actually gets them more sustainability than the "Prestige TV show".

It'll work to bait in people for the first season, but once that's exposed it'll be harder to keep up the charade.

I watched the first season out of curiousity. Same with Rings of Power. I won't be watching any future seasons after that.

It'll work to bait in people for the first season, but once that's exposed it'll be harder to keep up the charade.

I watched the first season out of curiousity. Same with Rings of Power. I won't be watching any future seasons after that.
    And yet, here you are...still talking about it...continuing to drive engagement.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    And yet, here you are...still talking about it...continuing to drive engagement.
    Cuz it's a forum, mate. That's what discussion forums are for. It doesn't get its ratings through postings on MMO-C forums. This place doesn't even get the traction of a Twitter or Reddit post.

If you understand how these threads work, they're usually perpetuated by a handful of the same posters saying the same shit over and over again. We're in an echo chamber of a vocal minority. The threads that last the longest are the ones that are full of back-and-forth arguments and heated discussion, stuff like the thousand+ She-Hulk thread that doesn't really talk much about actual show.

So 'continuing to drive engagement' doesn't really mean anything if post counts aren't equivalent to actual audience engagement. You're just drawing connections between unrelated things.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2023-09-07 at 08:54 PM.

Cuz it's a forum, mate. That's what discussion forums are for. It doesn't get its ratings through postings on MMO-C forums. This place doesn't even get the traction of a Twitter or Reddit post.
    MMOC does show up on google searches, though...so, while I will agree that it does not have the reach of Twitter/Reddit/Et., all your posts are just one-click away.

My overall point though is this:

If you're done...just be done.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2023-09-07 at 09:17 PM.

If you're done...just be done.
    I mean.. Likewise.

You don't seem to understand where you are lol.

Forums like this are literally the places where shit talk thrives.

I really doubt you came to this forum, to this thread, to look for insightful discussion about your favourite shows because we're both aware of the type of people who continue to come to this forum and stick around to 'discuss' shows like this. It's an echo chamber of extreme opinions. I wouldn't expect anyone to go to Twitter for insightful and deep discussion for the same reasonings.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2023-09-07 at 09:46 PM.

I mean.. Likewise.

You don't seem to understand where you are lol.

Forums like this are literally the places where shit talk thrives.

I really doubt you came to this forum, to this thread, to look for insightful discussion about your favourite shows because we're both aware of the type of people who continue to come to this forum and stick around to 'discuss' shows like this. It's an echo chamber of extreme opinions. I wouldn't expect anyone to go to Twitter for insightful and deep discussion for the same reasonings.
    No, you're right..I'm not expecting any insightful discussion... I'm here to shit talk the people that have been endlessly shit talking a show they hate for two years now. Move on with your lives.

No, you're right..I'm not expecting any insightful discussion... I'm here to shit talk the people that have been endlessly shit talking a show they hate for two years now. Move on with your lives.
    Why do you want them to move on? You'd have no one to shit talk, and that's why you're here right?
    Last edited by Triceron; 2023-09-07 at 11:14 PM.

Why do you want them to move on? You'd have no one to shit talk, and that's why you're here right?
    It would restore some of depleted faith in humanity... and I won't ever have to travel far to find a new target for shit talking.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2023-09-07 at 11:26 PM.

It would restore some of depleted faith in humanity... a
    Same could be said if these shows actually captured the spirit/essence of the source material as well as the One Piece Live Action has.

When I decided to stop saying "when did this happen in the books??" and "wait umm huh that didn't happen in the books did it?" and just starting to watching this series and watch its story.

I have started enjoying it and I want to see where they are taking it.

Yeah, just no. Ishy was by far the strongest of the forsaken in the one power even before taking into account the true power with which he was even stronger.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    The showrunners are so confused here. Wheel of Time was never about gore. Yes there was blood, but it's not gritty like ASOIAF.
    There's only been like one scene with gore so far no?

There might actually be less then in the book it self, just off the top of my head the great hunt had, murdered guards and there blood used to write a message, Two separate towns with butchered Civilians in the center as a display, The Fade nailed to the wall, and I want to sad Rand's vision of the family being set upon by tollocks but I can't remember if there butchered or just "shown" to be attacked.

Lanfear is now stronger than Moridin. Whatever man. Whatever.
    was this mentioned in an interview or something? Moiraine just says she's the most dangerous of the forsaken not stronger/most powerful and I don't think any one else ever mentions any thing else about such in the episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post

Their metrics are so wrong. They are beginning to realise that online engagement doesn’t always transfer to views. But it will be a while before we see any real change as the failing runners are good at spinning the reasons for their losses.

Typically blaming fans, review bombing and have paid their media outlets to run that narrative. So most of the money men who never engage in the content instead go of their reports and the crap show runners and execs who mandate their rubbish stay on pumping one failure after another.