Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    And what is wrong with that? That is what a multiverse is, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Does it suck the adaptation is not telling the story of the books? Yep. But it is clever to use an actual "in-universe" explanation for why. It being a week or strong reason is irrelevant to it being a valid reason. You are just finding ways to still hate the statement when your first reason was wrong.

What sucks is that they are doing piss poor job at rewrite. Would that work for you? Again, their rewrite is inconsistent, and as series progress, it will look outright dumb. Hope that helped.

They want to just "borrow" the name of WoT and do their own thing? Sure! But do it well! Like script writing hacks can rewrite a book and match it, let alone do it better. These people are good for Grey's anatomy. They can't write long stories. And yet, you see no problem in allowing these people to "plan" 8 seasons. I suppose you really don't care how long this show lasts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbond View Post
    What sucks is that they are doing piss poor job at rewrite. Would that work for you? Again, their rewrite is inconsistent, and as series progress, it will look outright dumb. Hope that helped.
    If they are poor writers it would look dumb even if they followed the books exactly. Right? So using a "in-universe" reason for why things are similar but different has no bearing on their ability to write. It would be good, or poor, regardless of what story they choose to tell.

It is also amusing how you say the writers are good for Grey's Anatomy, which has 18 seasons so far, while saying it would be a problem to have them to plan for 8 seasons. Different shows for different folks. It sucks it doesn't follow the books but it is still a mid-tier fantasy show with out doing so. Will it go for 8 seasons? Probably not. At least not at Amazon since they have rarely done a long running show unless it was exceptional.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2021-12-09 at 03:57 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Just for the sake of interest, this is the old fan-made trailwr for the book "Towers of Midnight."

Consider it a spoiler if you know nothing of the books.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    It is also amusing how you say the writers are good for Grey's Anatomy, which has 18 seasons so far, while saying it would be a problem to have them to plan for 8 seasons. Different shows for different folks. It sucks it doesn't follow the books but it is still a mid-tier fantasy show with out doing so. Will it go for 8 seasons? Probably not. At least not at Amazon since they have rarely done a long running show unless it was exceptional.
    I guess the difference is WoT has a definitive end point its working towards. Greys Anatomy, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    snip.
    Kerene Nagashi was one of the Aes sedais that the Amirlyn entrusted the secret of the prophecy about the birth of the dragon. Like all the other she entrusted with the secret, Kerene ended up missing or dead shortly after, presumably by the hands of the black ajah.

Thus the question, did the showrunners pick a random name or are they intending to spin that story further or not xD

Oh and padan feign was seen casually eating an apple during the trolloc attack.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantique View Post
    By that logic any franchise that accepts a multiverse can do whatever it wants.

Tune in for the next exciting Spider Man movie where we follow Peter Parker as he herds camels in the Sahara desert, slowly dies to starvation and is promptly forgotten. There's an infinite amount of multiverses so you fans can't say this isn't a Spider-Man story!
    That's literally the case when you consider the nature of any adaptation of another property, that ultimately does involve any number of changes.

Even an abridged version of the same story is effectively its own alternate spin of the same story, and you could also consider that a part of the 'multiverse' you're describing. Hell, even translating a property into a different language yields some form of change that ultimately affects the overall story, so at some point we do have to consider a 'multiverse' in terms of deviations from the original source.

And translations do have worldy affects on culture and society overall. Like look at how hotly debated the English translation of the word Arsenokoitai has been.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-12-09 at 05:33 PM.

And what is wrong with that? That is what a multiverse is, right?

- - - Updated - - -

You are still describing how you don't like it. You first went from "the book doesn't allow it" and when it was pointed out that the book actually allows it. Then when you finally admitted the book does allow it you've latched on to "it is weak". So what if it is weak? It is an explanation for why the story is different from the books using a valid in-universe explanation.

Does it suck the adaptation is not telling the story of the books? Yep. But it is clever to use an actual "in-universe" explanation for why. It being a week or strong reason is irrelevant to it being a valid reason. You are just finding ways to still hate the statement when your first reason was wrong.
    My example below that you handily didn't quote was an example on what's wrong with that. Any franchise that touches on the subject can be turned inside out, twisted into oblivion, chopped to pieces and stitched together haphazardly. Just because you can find a single wimpy thread to sort of, kinda, maybe justify it doesn't make it any less of a shit sandwich. (Not you as in you personally but you as in... you get the idea)

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    If you are banking on it having a similar plot as the book, you'd be very disappointed.
    Fixt that for you.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantique View Post
    My example below that you handily didn't quote was an example on what's wrong with that. Any franchise that touches on the subject can be turned inside out, twisted into oblivion, chopped to pieces and stitched together haphazardly. Just because you can find a single wimpy thread to sort of, kinda, maybe justify it doesn't make it any less of a shit sandwich. (Not you as in you personally but you as in... you get the idea)
    I didn't need to qoute it to address it. Again what is wrong with it? If they want to tell a "multiverse" style story where things are different but similar what is inherently wrong with that? The amusing part of your little story is that comics have routinely told multiverse stories and it was fine. Yet now we are to believe it is some terrible and great cardinal sin just because a TV show does it? Heck the "What If?" show released by marvel recently is a super well received multi-verse story.

It is still a 100% valid story telling device and one that is 100% possible with in the rules of the lore created by the books. You are just like the other person and finding ways to hate on it simply because you don't like it. I don't like that it differs from the book but it is still a valid path for them to take.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Fixt that for you.
    Too right. Oh boy did they take liberties. It’s definitely a different wheel of time. They should have changed the age and spun it as a different time. Or done a story in the Ahe of Legends

Quote Originally Posted by jdbond View Post
    Yes, "inspired". Hence the hate from fans.
    They should have said that from the beginning, instead of crowed how much Rafe was a fan of the books...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    They should have said that from the beginning, instead of crowed how much Rafe was a fan of the books...
    but but his mom has a wheel of time bumper sticker clearly he loves the books and wouldn't bastardize them to write his own fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    but but his mom has a wheel of time bumper sticker clearly he loves the books and wouldn't bastardize them to write his own fanfic.
    A committee writes those changes.

By the time they’ve all buddied up. Especially as a man he doesn’t want to look like a mysoginist or chaivenist so goes out of his way to change more to please his peers and be part of the inn crowd.

There are strategic reasons why pushing Moiraine was taken , but wow how so much mystery and charm is just removed.

There was so much mystery in the novels and breadcrumbs to lead. Sigh

And more odd choices for changes in the latest ep.

The Eye of the World is the DO's prison in this version, or where the Dragon tried to reseal him.

Oh, and the Ways requiring channeling to work. Kind of defeats the purpose of what they were designed for - to allow the ogier a means to travel between steddings where channeling couldn't happen.
    Last edited by Corvus; 2021-12-10 at 03:51 AM.

Two more episodes, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    And more odd choices for changes in the latest ep.

The Eye of the World is the DO's prison in this version, or where the Dragon tried to reseal him.

Oh, and the Ways requiring channeling to work. Kind of defeats the purpose of what they were designed for - to allow the ogier a means to travel between steddings where channeling couldn't happen.
    Lol how dumb are they

I like the show, but I hate what they are doing, the book is excellent, you shouldn't make a show of the same name and change so much, recast so much. It's just wrong, and rude too.

CAll it something else, but if you cal lit Wheel of time, you expect a faithful adaptation of an excellent book.

Show is good as a thing of it's own, but it's a let down from a much book, it's not in the same class story wise. Staying faithful would have been much much better.

15+ Year Old Account
    This episode was pretty good but it definitely ensures that nothing can be predicted or assumed by the books. It sucks but I do understand why they might not have done so since it would spoil any drama if you've known the books. It does make me wonder what the cliffhanger at the season finale will be given the episode text and it could be interesting to see that implication play out in the world setting.

Still wish it was more faithful to the books and no one can say Amazon wants their version of Game of Thrones when they have fuzzy nudity and a off screen sex scene. It will be interesting to see when season 2 releases since the LotR series comes out September 2022. They might release the next season prior to then so this series is more a "fantasy" hook then a GoT rival.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    I like that the show decided to leave it uncertain who the dragon reborn are sofar, the books did no such attempts. +1 for effort.
    It was a silly mystery to invest in. Who the dragon is is easy to find in a simple google search.

They should have focused on all the other intricate mysteries far less easy to google.

But I don’t think it is for mystery’s sake the dragon can be female

It sucks but I do understand why they might not have done so since it would spoil any drama if you've known the books. .
    I personally can not fathom the logic of doing it that way though.

Like, as a fan of the books, who the fuck cares if I know what is going to happen. I WANTED you to present what I know is going to happen, because that is what I loved about the books. There is absolutely no need to introduced pointless drama that fucks with my expectations, because all it does is piss me off.

And if I am not a fan of the books, and have never read them, fucking with the books gains you nothing anyway, because I have no prior expectations going in.

So either way you slice it, there really is no good reason to fuck with the books, unless it comes down to something like a scene or something being exceptionally difficult to translate / adapt to film. Of which there are basically zero that I can possibly imagine in almost the entire goddamned series.

Like, I don't go watch a stage presentation of Romeo and Juliette with the expectation that the showrunner is going to spend half the play fucking with the audience trying to create artificial tension regarding if Romeo and Juliette are really, TRUELY in love, or if Romeo will drink the poison, maybe he won't, OH NO, GATCHA HE REALLY DRANK IT! GASP.

Like, fuck that noise. I came to watch Romeo and Juliette because I KNOW what is supposed to happen, and I am expecting to see a quality performance of that specific set of events. Unless it is specifically advertised as an Avant-garde interpretation of Romeo and Juliette, there are very clear expectations as to what you are going to get out of a performance.

I wanted to see "Wheel of Time". I was EXPECTING to see "Wheel of Time". Instead, I got: "Some shit that is vaguely pretending to be Wheel of Time".