1. #8761
    everytime I get to a new season high the next game is 90% a lose :/
    it's like i'm not allowed to get to the next rank

  2. #8762
    Over 9000! Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    9,876
    Played one game, we lost, I got frustrated, logged out... One of those days where I was just like "Maybe I shouldn't be playing today"

    So happy I can control my toxicity urges :P

  3. #8763
    Banned Gandrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,318
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    It's a problem for me as well. I have NEVER had a single evening of playing Overwatch with not wanting to kill someone, shouting loud, throwing insults at my screen and being absolutely mad.

    I often enough tried to get rid of these "anger issues" but i cannot, in no game that includes PVP.

    I think im going back to WoW Mythic+, much more relaxing.
    Lol I wish I could go back to WoW but I am so fucking burned out on everything a game like WoW has to offer after playing it for 10 years and FFXIV for 3 years. I used to be so deep into that shit, I couldn't go back if I tried. Way too much commitment for me.

  4. #8764
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    61,908
    Quote Originally Posted by rarhyx View Post
    everytime I get to a new season high the next game is 90% a lose :/
    it's like i'm not allowed to get to the next rank
    Your season/career high is an outlier, unless you're a fairly new player who the system hasn't established a decent ranking for yet. If you've had a busy season, it's pretty secure. If you're setting a new high, as a regular player, then either you've suddenly gotten WAY better for some reason (like, you're a righty and your right arm's been broken for the last two months and just came out of the cast), or your current rank is too high. That's why you're likely to lose at that point. Because you're facing off against players somewhat better than you generally are.

    I've said it before, I'll say it again; the ranking system is not a progression system. You aren't meant to climb ranks. You're meant to find your spot and stay there. The only way you should be climbing is if you're making a concerted effort to improve, meaning you're putting in extra time practicing flick shots in training or the like beyond just regular play; you have to be improving not just a little over time, but faster than everyone else is generally improving.

    Edit: Don't take any of that as condemnation, either. It's math. It doesn't matter what your current rank is, the same rules apply (though at GM/bronze, you're at the far end of the bell curve so it'll be "swingier" due to less competitors at those ranks)
    Last edited by Endus; 2018-04-06 at 10:25 PM.

  5. #8765
    Deleted
    improving wont help you win Games when you fill and your fucking other roles dont do shit. or they just throw from the beginning with their picks

    comp is cancer

  6. #8766
    Over 9000! Jinro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    9,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Your season/career high is an outlier, unless you're a fairly new player who the system hasn't established a decent ranking for yet. If you've had a busy season, it's pretty secure. If you're setting a new high, as a regular player, then either you've suddenly gotten WAY better for some reason (like, you're a righty and your right arm's been broken for the last two months and just came out of the cast), or your current rank is too high. That's why you're likely to lose at that point. Because you're facing off against players somewhat better than you generally are.

    I've said it before, I'll say it again; the ranking system is not a progression system. You aren't meant to climb ranks. You're meant to find your spot and stay there. The only way you should be climbing is if you're making a concerted effort to improve, meaning you're putting in extra time practicing flick shots in training or the like beyond just regular play; you have to be improving not just a little over time, but faster than everyone else is generally improving.

    Edit: Don't take any of that as condemnation, either. It's math. It doesn't matter what your current rank is, the same rules apply (though at GM/bronze, you're at the far end of the bell curve so it'll be "swingier" due to less competitors at those ranks)
    I started out in gold, now I'm almost master. You are definitely meant to be climbing as you get better. If I had stayed at gold despite getting better, something would have been wrong with the system.

  7. #8767
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    19,970
    I mean, there's aspects of truth in both. The ranking system isn't a progression system, but a reflection of your MMR in comparison to other players. Consequently, once the system has found the correct SR for you, you should be relatively stable within the system in the short term.

    Your rank isn't meant to incrementally increase directly based on time played the way a progression system would. Your rank may incrementally increase over the long term as you improve, but this is a slow process and is only indirectly related to time played. Additionally, you have to consider that the players around you are improving as well, which in some cases may mean that the bar is moving up as you do. If you play infrequently or improve slower than average, the bar may actually move faster than you. You'd have to be improving faster than average to see a noticeable jump in SR. As old players lose interest and new players enter the fold, I imagine long term players will see an increase in rank as a reflect of their skill gains but this should be long term across multiple seasons.

    There's also going to be a ceiling on how high you can climb for most people. No matter how much they play, the average person will never hit grandmaster. There is just a cap on how much improvement a person can make before you hit your limits.

    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaArleeVenara

    | youtube | twitch | twitter |


  8. #8768
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    61,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I started out in gold, now I'm almost master. You are definitely meant to be climbing as you get better. If I had stayed at gold despite getting better, something would have been wrong with the system.
    If you actually do get better, and at a rate faster than the average, that's true. I wasn't saying otherwise. But most people aren't really getting better, or at least not any faster than everyone else. I've climbed too, though I haven't played Comp the last couple seasons (just busy, still enjoy it).

    That doesn't change what I meant, though; the ranking system is not meant to be a progression system. You can't grind at it and slowly creep up. Playing 5 matches a day and never getting better should mean you stay at the same point; taking time to practice heavily on basic skills like flick shooting and accuracy, even if that cuts you down to 5 actual matches a week, because you're spending the rest of the time in training, should mean you'll move up in rank faster, even with far fewer matches actually played. Because your skill's improving, and your ratings will reflect that.

    If you aren't improving significantly, getting "stuck" at a rating and not being able to get past it is normal, expected behaviour. And it's going to be what most players tend to experience, given the laws of averages.

  9. #8769
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I started out in gold, now I'm almost master. You are definitely meant to be climbing as you get better. If I had stayed at gold despite getting better, something would have been wrong with the system.
    A looot of players don't really get any better even though they think they do.

  10. #8770
    Tried placements. Me and 5 other randoms get put against a team of 6 People in a party all Gold Ranked.

    Blizzard queue system is shit.

  11. #8771
    Another game of someone picking Moira and using her as straight damage. Watch the kill feed and see a damage orb and purple beam going onto an enemy and yellow piss spray come out after I'm dead.
    Honestly, if people are going to play damage, then pick a damage hero, don't pick a support role and then not support your team with them.

  12. #8772
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Another game of someone picking Moira and using her as straight damage. Watch the kill feed and see a damage orb and purple beam going onto an enemy and yellow piss spray come out after I'm dead.
    Honestly, if people are going to play damage, then pick a damage hero, don't pick a support role and then not support your team with them.
    Was the Moira solo-healing or was there another healer? If I'm with another healer I focus more on DPS as Moira but I typically end games with 5 golds as her, even with another healer.

    Signature Created by Jassinta

  13. #8773
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Was the Moira solo-healing or was there another healer? If I'm with another healer I focus more on DPS as Moira but I typically end games with 5 golds as her, even with another healer.
    2 support, but the other support was Ana, who also focused damage into a Pharah.
    I don't mind Moira players that want to damage, but they need to know when to support. I play Moira a lot, and when I can damage the enemy I take full advantage of it, but when my team is taking heavy damage I know to stop that and go as support to keep them alive.

  14. #8774
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Was the Moira solo-healing or was there another healer? If I'm with another healer I focus more on DPS as Moira but I typically end games with 5 golds as her, even with another healer.
    Dont judge your play by medals, judge it by winning. Medals don't mean shit if you don't win. You just managed to do better than other people in those medal selections but if your team is shit then you are only beating shit and that is nothing to brag about especially on a character not designed to get those medals.

    Having gold medals may make you personally feel better about yourself when you lose but they play no role what so ever in accumulating rank, only winning does.

    If Moira's spend at least 75% of their time healing then their win ratio will spike up much higher than a dps moira. I use to play DPS moira's when she was new so I tested the healing/damage play and found that we won more games with me healing as moira than dpsing with moira if all of my orbs were yellow and 75% of my time was spent healing.

    I'd rather win games than pedal gold medals as a redeeming quality. You can have 5 medals and still lose and if someone blames you for not healing when you should of been healing they would be right.

    The worst Moira's are the flanking Moira's who try to run solo on the sides rather than being in a position behind thier own front line healing and dpsing. These Moira's are so pathetic that I just ignore them during the game because they have no impact on the game what so ever, especially if there is a d.va who gobbles purple orbs like Pac Man.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

  15. #8775
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    61,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Rubbing Specialist View Post
    Tried placements. Me and 5 other randoms get put against a team of 6 People in a party all Gold Ranked.

    Blizzard queue system is shit.
    Placements aren't part of the normal queue system, in the first place. There's so many fewer people doing placements, especially after the first week or two of a season, that they're more interested in getting you into any match than finding an appropriate match.

    Win/loss in placements also doesn't really matter; it's individual performance.

  16. #8776
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Placements aren't part of the normal queue system, in the first place. There's so many fewer people doing placements, especially after the first week or two of a season, that they're more interested in getting you into any match than finding an appropriate match.

    Win/loss in placements also doesn't really matter; it's individual performance.
    I'm sure there would be plenty of Bronze players around. Or at least not a 6 stack team vs 6 people doing placements. Once my team saw it was a 6 stack of gold they basically just chose random champs and jumped around the spawn point waiting to lose.

  17. #8777
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,274
    Actually had a couple of good games on Widow today where people didn't throw and let me get on with my thing and we won comfortably. I had started out just tanking because that was previously working but again, same old Moiras who can't use a yellow orb, Anas too busy sniping, and everyone else wanting to be the DPS carry. One match, had a decent Soldier for round 1, goes McCree round 2 and does fuck all, ask him to switch and he's all 'I'm all golds', it's like 'yeah from last round on 76 why the fuck you switch?' Next match, another McCree player, goes Widow for attack on A, they're running 3 Tanks, he can't do shit and kicks off at Pharah for not doing shit because of the barriers; I'm like 'you're McCree you're doing even less'...

    Always fucking McCrees at this level think they're fucking Pine and think they get a free pass on being questioned because McCree isn't Widow or Hanzo.

  18. #8778
    Over 9000! Tommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    9,813
    That sick sense of satisfaction you get when you log in and see that Blizzard approves of who you reported. Fight me trolls.

  19. #8779
    Banned Gandrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,318
    man i love when people try to step to me w/ their bullshit

    E: how many kills u get?
    M: 35
    E: hah i got 40 w 10k damage

    well ok bitch i got 35 with 6k damage.... so why dont u see yourself back to your dumpster fire over there with the 4k damage it takes for you to get 5 more kills? lmao i mean fuck how are you diamond, how the fuck were you ever in masters? literal garbage. you getting dicked on by someone who's been in bronze for 6 seasons, can't get their main acc out of silver and highest rank they have ever been is Platinum

    try n step bitch, ill put u back down in ur seat

  20. #8780
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    That sick sense of satisfaction you get when you log in and see that Blizzard approves of who you reported. Fight me trolls.
    The other day I got 7 alerts that someone was punished due to my reports before I could even select anything to play. Damn Blizz, one alert is enough to give me lols, don’t need to spam me.

    I mean just flash an image of cool Jesus winking at me with thumbs up and saying, “Yo bro, nailed 7 douchebags for yah today!” And I’m good. I’m good.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2018-04-10 at 01:29 AM.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •