Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    Then it depends entirely on the role you're playing.

If you're a dps, yeah, it's a lot more doable to climb in the rankings. If you're a tank or support main, it isn't.

Either way, yes, that is how the system works. This is a TEAM based game. If you're team fails, you are going
    to fail (unless you're a very skilled dps, and even then, you're bound to have some trouble at some point).
    Where are you getting these postulates from? It's no harder or easier to carry as anything, generally, maybe sustain-y heroes like soldier, road, mei are easier to abuse for SR in the lower ELOs but generally you have to just play better than your enemy counterpart.

I found climbing as D.Va/Zarya incredibly easy (at least up to diamond), and some support mains argue carrying as an Ana is entirely possible if you're good and use comms. Trying to climb as DPS is aids just because people scream for you to switch every other game, which makes climbing for me harder because I just stop using comms. Also, climbing as Brig is literally the easiest thing in the world, anything below 2900 and they just fall over when you pick Brig and roll them off the point.

- - - Updated - - -

snip
    No, not DPS mains. Anything mains. Good players are good, whatever they main, with brand new accounts they can play Tank/Supp/whatever and still place masters after placements. Expecting to carry as DPS is the gold mentality and that makes games garbage when everyone jumps on DPS and then screams at everyone else to switch.

Yes, the performance of the team determines whether you win or lose, this is entirely correct. But on average, the enemy team is more likely to have garbage players than you are, assuming of course, you are not garbage. If you are playing at the correct SR, you will win on average, 50% of your games. If you are playing better, you will climb, if you are playing worse, you will drop.

I've found the Overwatch MMR system to work pretty well, on my second account I placed just under my main playing DPS rather than tank. Generally if I play well I go on win streaks and if I'm playing poorly I'll go on loss streaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    No, it doesn't.
    Yes, it does.

snip
    No.

snip
    Yes, it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    No, not DPS mains. Anything mains. Good players are good, whatever they main, with brand new accounts they can play Tank/Supp/whatever and still place masters after placements. Expecting to carry as DPS is the gold mentality and that makes games garbage when everyone jumps on DPS and then screams at everyone else to switch.
    Absolutely untrue. A godlike healer doesn't carry the game. Not unless the rest of the team is at least, mildly competent.
    A team of average to less than average can absolutely be carried by a high level dps player. I've been on the receiving end
    and won with high level dps who would absolutely carry the entire game. No healer has ever been the cause of my team
    losing. It has always been because of a dps shredding everyone, and vice versa.

Yes, the performance of the team determines whether you win or lose, this is entirely correct. But on average, the enemy team is more likely to have garbage players than you are, assuming of course, you are not garbage. If you are playing at the correct SR, you will win on average, 50% of your games. If you are playing better, you will climb, if you are playing worse, you will drop.
    And if you are playing optimally to your ability, and the team doesn't, guess what happens? You are penalized for it
    by losing just as much as them.

I've found the Overwatch MMR system to work pretty well
    We are going to vehemently disagree on that one.

snip
    You've never seen a good Ana play if you think they can't carry.

And yes, even if you're playing god-like and hard carrying you may still lose. This however, will be rare. This is why you have to play many games to climb, you'll never win every single game unless you're a GM widow/hanzo playing in Bronze/Silver where you can headshot your way to victory. Once people are semi-competant, however, you will indeed need more than 1 competent player to achieve victory.

I feel like this is just gonna go around in circles, but feel free to continue blaming your team and being hardstuck in plat, I guess. In the mean time I'll continue enjoying OW and climbing as my ability improves. Good players are busy doing the same.

I see a lot of people complaining about Overwatch matchmaking and it has become clear to me that you all think you are the center of the universe.

I am a Grandmaster player, when I started I was bronze equivalent(rating system functioned differently at the beginning of Overwatch.) I want to push top 500 and I know I am not good enough to get that yet, so I focus on my gameplay and what I can do to turn myself from middling GM to t500, this is the attitude that I took from when I started and to now.

If you cannot climb it is because you belong in the rank you are in. At present I have 3 alternate accounts that I have placed at various ranks intentionally: 1 in Bronze/Silver for the lulz and doing silly shit + playing with my friend at that SR range, 1 in gold/plat/diamond flux for one tricking bastion and 1 in masters for playing Genji. I am by my standards, bad at Genji. I have in previous seasons on those accounts just played them to GM to see how easily I could do it.

tldr: Stop whining, learn to be positive, learn to communicate things you see to your team, focus on aspects of your gameplay that you can improve. If you do these things, you will climb SR.
    Last edited by Thirza; 2019-01-12 at 06:52 PM.

Deleted
    Bad, they really need to add a region for only english speakers. Having germans, french or russian ppl who won't speak english nor understand it makes for terrible matchmaking. Russians should preferably be confined to their own server.

We are going to vehemently disagree on that one.
    That's not so much disagreement as denial. If you can't rise in rating then you are not better than the rating you are at. If you are dropping in rating then you are not good enough for the rating you are at.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thirza View Post
    tldr: Stop whining, learn to be positive, learn to communicate things you see to your team, focus on aspects of your gameplay that you can improve. If you do these things, you will climb SR.
    I just mute chat and voice chat most of the time. No good being on either playing on SEA servers. I gained rating from doing that.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/ov...-on-sea/164662

People like this who will attack you for being Vietnamese, racist rants all game.

You've never seen a good Ana play if you think they can't carry.
    They can't by themselves. If the rest of the team is at least average, then sure, a very good Ana can help
    them immensely, since at the very most, they're competent enough.

And yes, even if you're playing god-like and hard carrying you may still lose.
    Oh of course. But your team would have to be playing absolutely abysmally in order for that to happen.
    2 teams that are equivalent in skill but one has a high level smurf should always have the smurf win,
    barring a hail mary ultimate.

I feel like this is just gonna go around in circles, but feel free to continue blaming your team and being hardstuck in plat, I guess. In the mean time I'll continue enjoying OW and climbing as my ability improves. Good players are busy doing the same.
    If any of that was true, then there wouldn't be so many complaints about Overwatch's match making system, and Blizzard themselves
    wouldn't have to explain the need to improve it, state that they understand the frustrations and problems it has, and so on. The devs
    have outright said that the system isn't working as intended. So you and anyone else who keeps harping the same bullshit about the
    system working fine and so on, continue to be flat out wrong. Plenty of streamers and even some pros state that MM is absolute trash
    at all levels. Even gaming websites have complained about the state of the system.

And one of their complaints being that it is very difficult to improve when your constantly being paired with fucktards. I certainly
    will struggle every single season after 5 or 6 all because of the bullshit this system does.

I see a lot of people complaining about Overwatch matchmaking and it has become clear to me that you all think you are the center of the universe.
    Or MAYBE, just MAYBE, there's something valid that they're all complaining about?

I don't know, maybe you need to pay better attention and stop being blind.

I am a Grandmaster player, when I started I was bronze equivalent[I](rating system functioned differently at the beginning of Overwatch.)
    From here on, the rest of what you say is irrelevant.

If you cannot climb it is because you belong in the rank you are in.
    This is already false. Next.

Stop whining, learn to be positive
    The complaints are valid, and it is impossible to be positive when the game consistently shits on you every single time you play,
    and regardless of how little, or how much you play, nothing changes and it continues to do so.

learn to communicate things you see to your team, focus on aspects of your gameplay that you can improve. If you do these things, you will climb SR.
    I do this to the best of my ability every game. When the teammates I have do the same, we can win, or draw.

Unfortunately, the system fucking sucks, and purposely fucks you left and right. No matter how well I play, I can't
    climb, and the fuckwits who have no business playing competitive are to blame. Every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    That's not so much disagreement as denial. If you can't rise in rating then you are not better than the rating you are at. If you are dropping in rating then you are not good enough for the rating you are at.
    I'm not in denial, but you are flat out ignorant, and absolutely in the wrong. So since we both think the other is wrong,
    its not worth beating ourselves over this point.
    Last edited by ThatsOurEric; 2019-01-12 at 10:16 PM.

snip
    I literally have nothing to say to this except that SR is reflective of your ability to play the game well. If your SR is low, play more, or get better.

It took me 6.5 seasons to go from Bronze to Grandmaster. If I can do it, why are there people acting like it is impossible to get better and climb?

I guess denial and toxicity is easier than introspection.

Katie, I'm sorry that people mistreat you because of your race, instead of muting comms you could try finding about 10 people to play with and stay in group comms, 10 is usually enough to have 1-2 always on in my experience.
    ---
    Tell you guys what, post an average match playing your main and I will tell you what you can work on to climb some SR. No charge. Include what SR you think you should be.
    Last edited by Thirza; 2019-01-12 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks01 View Post
    I uninstalled again. I've never played game in which I can have a blast playing it for a few weeks and then it turns to pure hatred.

- - - Updated - - -

Except its not. I have two accounts, I play the same. One can not get our of silver no matter how I play in placement matches. The other is high plat.
    Placement matches? You only play 10 games per season and expect to rank up an alt?
    And there's a reason your ELO is low, main or alt, it's because your play is not consistent, so forgive me if I do not believe your play is the same across both accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks01 View Post
    I uninstalled again. I've never played game in which I can have a blast playing it for a few weeks and then it turns to pure hatred.

- - - Updated - - -

Except its not. I have two accounts, I play the same. One can not get our of silver no matter how I play in placement matches. The other is high plat.
    Screenshot stats on all heroes on both accounts, I don't believe this can be possible. I can walk around on a silver rein's head without being noticed, plats as unsynergetic/badaim as they are don't let me do that.

I'd assume if having accounts hardstuck in gold was even a remote possibility it'd be quite easy to find a twitch clip or youtube video where this is easily cited.
    Then feel free to look yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Then feel free to look yourself.
    Sure, I'll look for evidence that an entirely unreasonable assertion from someone on the internet might rarely be true. /s

And we should take your word for it as well? That's some backwards logic you have there.

I've seen it posted on this thread a few times from different posters how they can have more
    than one account and yet both accounts will never be at the same rank.

So unless they just forgot hwo to play on that second account, there's all the proof you need.

The only examples I've seen of this happening are boosted healer mains, who pretty much always get punted back down to where they belong if they stop queuing only with their carry.

I am still waiting for the proof.

I guarantee that the stats aren't the same between accounts and more on point there isn't much of a difference between:

Bronze - Silver
    Gold - Plat - Low Diamond
    High Diamond - Low Masters

The only examples I've seen of this happening are boosted healer mains, who pretty much always get punted back down to where they belong if they stop queuing only with their carry.

I am still waiting for the proof.

I guarantee that the stats aren't the same between accounts and more on point there isn't much of a difference between:

Bronze - Silver
    Gold - Plat - Low Diamond
    High Diamond - Low Masters
    I think maybe this "proof" is just low ELO players playing inconsistently (which is one of the staples of the lower ELO players, if I'm informed correctly) and using this disparity to fuel their beliefs that the MMR system is what's keeping them in plat.

On a side note, how many in-game hours did it take you to get to GM (or Masters, if you remember)? My available hours per week are pretty low, so I'm wondering how feasible my goal of getting to Masters in the next handful of seasons is.

I think maybe this "proof" is just low ELO players playing inconsistently (which is one of the staples of the lower ELO players, if I'm informed correctly) and using this disparity to fuel their beliefs that the MMR system is what's keeping them in plat.

On a side note, how many in-game hours did it take you to get to GM (or Masters, if you remember)? My available hours per week are pretty low, so I'm wondering how feasible my goal of getting to Masters in the next handful of seasons is.
    I am going to ballpark it at 1 hour a day every day for 3 months from my diamond to master climb.

What really made the difference for me is doing aiming drills, making good callouts and encouraging team communication while reviewing how pro players position.
    Last edited by Thirza; 2019-01-13 at 05:06 PM.

I am going to ballpark it at 1 hour a day every day for 3 months from my diamond to master climb.

What really made the difference for me is doing aiming drills, making good callouts and encouraging team communication while reviewing how pro players position.
    Well that's a stat that makes me feel bad. Admittedly I spend more time just playing mindlessly because I haven't invested too much in the more theory/review side of things.

I try to do the same with callouts, I've watched a lot of Jayne on Twitch and I've started watching ML7 for my Ana positioning, so I think I'm on the right track there. I was never sold on aiming drills though, is there any particular strat for improving aim that you would suggest?

Thanks for the info my dude.

Well that's a stat that makes me feel bad. Admittedly I spend more time just playing mindlessly because I haven't invested too much in the more theory/review side of things.

I try to do the same with callouts, I've watched a lot of Jayne on Twitch and I've started watching ML7 for my Ana positioning, so I think I'm on the right track there. I was never sold on aiming drills though, is there any particular strat for improving aim that you would suggest?

Thanks for the info my dude.
    Before I play I make a custom game, put in three Lucio hard bots, three Ana hard bots, turn on headshots only. Then for 5 minutes I focus on scoping in, keeping my crosshair over a head for a few seconds, repeat, then I start taking flick shots for 5 minutes. After that do all the same things while practicing erratic movements. The same drills probably work for Ana(though you won't be able to kill them unless you do the drills as widow) additionally something that holds a lot of people back is having a sens that is way too high and being unwilling to do the one step back to get the two steps forward of lowering their sens and getting used to it.

It is like wax on wax off, it is simple and repetitive but it ingrains good habits and muscle memory.

Google just gave me this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erBcxzynAI0
    Last edited by Thirza; 2019-01-13 at 08:20 PM.

Despite playing for hours trying to get back to where I normally am (mid 2500's).
    the system kept fucking me over and over, dropping me lower and lower until I finally hit
    lower than my all time low (1746).

In 13 seasons, only 3 have ever been that low (one was 1800;s, another was 1700's.

Not back to back mind you, spread out. So it makes 0 sense to do well and play in upper
    brackets for entire seasons, and then in later seasons, get super low.

Fuck this system, and the incompetent developers who don't know how to make it work.