10+ Year Old Account

Price Drops on 900 Series Cards?

Hey everyone,

With the 1080 and 1070 starting to slowly roll out, I was wondering if anyone could provide any insight into a realistic timeframe to expect their predecessors to start seeing some dips in pricing? I would rather hold out and buy a 970 or 980 much cheaper than they currently go for than buy them now (obviously).

Also don't tell me to just buy the 10 series cards because 1. I don't need that much power for what I'm doing and 2. I'm obviously trying to NOT spend that much on a powerful GPU

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking at how releases went for previous generations of cards, I doubt we'll see any huge price drops. The cheapest GTX 970s are currently going for around $280 after MIR which is probably as low as you will see them go. If you want to pick up a card for super cheap, your best bet is to buy second-hand as people are starting to sell their 970s/980s to grab 1070s/1080s when they finally come out.

Yea, just wait on the 480.

Like I have been saying for months, I do not expect to see the prices drop at all as they typically do not on the release of the next gen. It just doesn't happen. You might be able to find some good deals on used ones shortly after the 1070 releases, but do not expect retail pricing to drop. For some reason, tech prices just don't work that way.

Don't be simpletons guys this isnt rocket surgery. One of two things need to happen, either nvidia comes out with a price/performance competitive GPU (likely called gtx 1060) or nvidia will HAVE to MASSIVELY discount the 970/980's. Time will tell.

I also find this kind of mind-boggling, that they wouldn't severely discount the prices of the 980s and 970s now that the 10s are out. If you can buy a 1070 for $379, and it outperforms the 980ti and costs a couple hundred less, why on earth wouldn't you? Even if the performance levels are similar (which I don't know that they are based on at least one recent press release I saw) the 1070 has other things going for it that make it better than the 980ti.

I was expecting the 9 series cards to drop dramatically as demand for them went down with the release of the new generation, but I guess not eh?

if you are in the US, just wait till black friday cyber monday sales

Well as far as I know, once a shop has bought inventory they try to sell it, it's not like their supplier will give them money back once new stuff comes out so they can sell at a lower price, so why would they try to sell it at a loss? It's not like they already have high margins.

Most smart shops would have liquidated most of their inventory by now anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post

Most smart shops would have liquidated most of their inventory by now anyways.
    This is the key thing. These suppliers presumably knew the new cards were coming out, and should have been keeping their inventory levels of the old cards as low as they possibly could so they didn't get stuck with a bunch of them that no one wanted to buy. Bad business IMO. They're going to take a hit on their books when they have to write that inventory down.