Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Horde What does it mean to be Sin'dorei?

WoW! If any race on Azeroth has a more convoluted history, I can't think of it. Full Disclosure: I've never played a Blood Elf toon, and had to research this tonight in an effort to do it justice. Spent the last couple of hours watching videos and reading wiki posts. Those of you who are more authoritative on Sin'dorei lore are more than welcome to correct any inaccuracies.

Your people left Kaldorei society to continue their studies in arcane magic, and went on to build a glorious civilization that lasted for seven thousand years before Arthas and the scourge invaded. Rising like a phoenix from the ashes, you re-dubbed yourselves "Children of the Blood" (Sin'dorei) and spent several tumultuous years finding ways to cope and survive.

Struggling to overcome withdrawal from magic, many of you followed your ill-fated prince to Outlands and back. When he betrayed you and threatened to destroy what was left of your homeland, you found salvation in the unlikely allies of Velen and the Naaru who collaborated to restore the Sunwell as a source of pure and healthy energy.

Your alliances with humans have not ended well, whether it was bigotry in the first war or the more recent schism in Dalaran. As a result you've found yourselves in a an 'alliance' of convenience with the Horde. You share many goals with Sylvanas of the Forsaken, the former commander of your rangers. You may consider many of the western Horde to be rather primitive, and they may consider you to be crazy or unstable, but you've fought wars together and stuck it out through the despotic reign of Garrosh. You've also found friends at times among Naga, something no other player race can claim.

After what must have felt like a brief respite of stability, with a clean source of magical power and sane leaders both in Silvermoon and in Orgrimmar, your world is about to be plunged back into chaos by the return of the Burning Legion.

With all this colorful history, what does it mean now to call yourself Sin'dorei?
    Last edited by Felfaadaern Darkterror; 2016-06-08 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Added Picture

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Being an annoying, bitchy, mana sucking slut.

Being the remnants of a once great kingdom I suppose, although that would also include the Quel'dorei..

free chicken nuggets at participating kfc locations

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    Being the remnants of a once great kingdom I suppose, although that would also include the Quel'dorei..
    I would add "...with the potential to be great again" now that the Sunwell is healthy again. Although you have to wonder if it will still be a souce of vulnerability for them, as it might attract more villains looking to steel it's power for their own ends. Then again, what race on Azeroth doesn't have its own special challenges?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    It means we fight and live to honor the sacrifices of our fallen and betrayed we are a strong and proud race that get's back up after every beating we take and we shall continue to do so.

I love my Sin'dorei and all my chars are of that origin apart from my druid (which I barely touch).
    I do like that one of their symbols is the phoenix.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by garbage bag View Post
    free chicken nuggets at participating kfc locations
    If you're not into lore, why even visit this section of the forums?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Being an annoying, bitchy, mana sucking slut.
    Lol I must laugh

Quote Originally Posted by erzahd View Post
    Lol I must laugh
    according to lore Nelinrah is only one who write truth here....

Deleted
    Well their origin, their lifestyle and how they interacted with other races in the past shows what kind of people the Highborne/Highelves were. That is reflected in how they handled their Paladins (Blood Knights) back when they started their Order. Enslaving a being of pure Goodness just to suck out its magic for their purpose.

They have had their hardships, yes. But not exactly undeserving. Their decadence and arrogance led them to almost being wiped out.
    Recent developments made them reconsider quite a few things about their behavior. They are fierce and sworn to protect their fellow Sin'dorei for example.
    But at their core they still think they are better/more developed than any other race in the world of azeroth.

That might sound like I dislike Blood Elves. I actually don't. I always enjoyed their "edge" to them. But they are most certainly not nice people (overall) and I really enjoy that aspect. Hence why I actually never bought the whole "oh, but they aren't horde because they are pretty.". Yes, they ARE pretty (and they want you to know that), but many of them are actually worse than any Orc, Troll or Tauren.
    But yes, they are getting pretty chill over the last few years. I just hope Blizz ignites their asshole-features to them again like they did with the Forsaken.

Wanting to be Alliance but your friend plays Horde.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Wanting to be Alliance but your friend plays Horde.
    Lol, I think you might actually be onto something!

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Lol, I think you might actually be onto something!
    These high elf threads exist for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    These high elf threads exist for a reason.
    I think thats more a matter of "Wanting to be Legolas but your friends play Alliance"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artelia View Post
    according to lore Nelinrah is only one who write truth here....
    That's a bit simplistic; actually a lot simplistic. It doesn't take into account their past as high elves or the tragedies that made them into "mana sucking sluts". That's why the Lore forum is here, so we can discuss such things -- in case you guys didn't know.

I think most Sin'dorei are still mainly focused on survival and rebuilding their homeland. They probably still don't see their magic addiction as a problem now that they have their Sunwell back but most of them probably don't know they have the Naaru and Velen to thank for it.

They know they have to be thankful to the Forsaken for all the aid they have received but they probably don't trust them and see them as unnatural freaks of nature. They will certainly feel themselves superior to the other (horde) races and would like nothing better than to be able to leave the Horde and close off their borders

Although feeling superior to all other races they are probably jealous of the humans because of their skill with magic and angry at the Night Elves for being exiled even though the Night Elves have welcomed back Highborne and are in alliance with humans and gnomes who are perhaps even more reckless when it comes to magic.

I'm not sure how the Blood Elves will view the Draenei and their connection to the Naaru. This also depends on how much they know of Velen's role in restoring the Sunwell.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    It meant swallowing your pride and doing what needs to be done to survive, separating the weak from the strong

it means strong nationalistic ties, even the high elves for all their faults still call Quel'thalas their homeland.

it means a dislike of humans and hatred of the kirin'tor, with only the naive like Aethas blindly believing in humans, and the mocking of Night elves for their paltry mages.

Most of all it means to honor the 90% of the elves who were killed by Arthas, and to rebuild the kingdom and gather your strength so it can never be harmed again.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Deleted
    rebuilding the kingdom and not making the same mistakes twice.
    hopefully a strong bond with their allies who helped them in their darkest hour, and cooperation to the advantage of everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    WoW! If any race on Azeroth has a more convoluted history, I can't think of it. Full Disclosure: I've never played a Blood Elf toon, and had to research this tonight in an effort to do it justice. Spent the last couple of hours watching videos and reading wiki posts. Those of you who are more authoritative on Sin'dorei lore are more than welcome to correct any inaccuracies.

Your people left Kaldorei society to continue their studies in arcane magic, and went on to build a glorious civilization that lasted for seven thousand years before Arthas and the scourge invaded. Rising like a phoenix from the ashes, you re-dubbed yourselves "Children of the Blood" (Sin'dorei) and spent several tumultuous years finding ways to cope and survive.

Struggling to overcome withdrawal from magic, many of you followed your ill-fated prince to Outlands and back. When he betrayed you and threatened to destroy what was left of your homeland, you found salvation in the unlikely allies of Velen and the Naaru who collaborated to restore the Sunwell as a source of pure and healthy energy.

Your alliances with humans have not ended well, whether it was bigotry in the first war or the more recent schism in Dalaran. As a result you've found yourselves in a an 'alliance' of convenience with the Horde. You share many goals with Sylvanas of the Forsaken, the former commander of your rangers. You may consider many of the western Horde to be rather primitive, and they may consider you to be crazy or unstable, but you've fought wars together and stuck it out through the despotic reign of Garrosh. You've also found friends at times among Naga, something no other player race can claim.

After what must have felt like a brief respite of stability, with a clean source of magical power and sane leaders both in Silvermoon and in Orgrimmar, your world is about to be plunged back into chaos by the return of the Burning Legion.

With all this colorful history, what does it mean now to call yourself Sin'dorei?
    blood elves in honor of the fallen, is a name that symbolized having always presented to those who died in the invasion of arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Garfurion View Post
    I think most Sin'dorei are still mainly focused on survival and rebuilding their homeland. They probably still don't see their magic addiction as a problem now that they have their Sunwell back but most of them probably don't know they have the Naaru and Velen to thank for it.

They know they have to be thankful to the Forsaken for all the aid they have received but they probably don't trust them and see them as unnatural freaks of nature. They will certainly feel themselves superior to the other (horde) races and would like nothing better than to be able to leave the Horde and close off their borders

Although feeling superior to all other races they are probably jealous of the humans because of their skill with magic and angry at the Night Elves for being exiled even though the Night Elves have welcomed back Highborne and are in alliance with humans and gnomes who are perhaps even more reckless when it comes to magic.

I'm not sure how the Blood Elves will view the Draenei and their connection to the Naaru. This also depends on how much they know of Velen's role in restoring the Sunwell.
    I'm curious how many of them know about how the Sunwell was restored, and how they feel about it. After all, Blood Elves have their own special history with the Naaru via the Scriers in Shattrath. Lady Liadrin is filled with goodness now, and has spoken in game about never being able to make up for the past. I don't think she would be keeping the nature of their power a secret from the rest of the order. If all the paladins know, why would it be a secret from the rest of Sin'dorei society?

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    They aren't jealous of human mages. Human mages are like a cleaver, Blood elf mages are like a rapier. Different styles.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

"We must put this misery behind us. We must enter a new chapter! And so I say to you that, as of this day, we are no longer high elves! In honor of the blood that was shed throughout this kingdom, in honor of the sacrifices of our brothers and sisters, our parents, and our children, in honor of Anasterian... as of this day we will take the name of our royal lineage! As of this day, we are sin'dorei! For Quel'Thalas!"
    — Kael'thas Sunstrider