Page 1 of 24
... LastLast

Outrage over 6 month sentence for Brock Turner in Stanford rape case

Anyone else been following this case? I think jail time isn't going to matter. This kid's life is over, as it should be. He has lost his scholarship and all his hard work with his success in swim competition. Worse, he is now a registered sex offender, which means he's screwed in the job market and where he can live. I wonder if people consider jail time for this kid is just as bad as his reality outside of jail.

Not to say it's the victim's fault, but it should be hard lesson for girl's these days to be prepared. We can't control the people who carry out these crimes, but this definitely could have been prevented. In this poor girl's case, she was 3 times passed the legal limit. When I was in college (2 years ago), I had a lot of friends that were women. I never cockblocked them, but I could tell when guys were getting too close. I would wrap my arm around one of them and it would be an instant end from there.

To me, college rape cases shouldn't happen if people were smart about going out and partying. Again, I'm not implying the victim is responsible and had it coming, but if she was prepared, it might have not happened. Maybe we need to grow out of the idea "it can't happen to me."

Deleted
    I don't see why anyone with such a record would stay in USA.

Just move out and start fresh - it's better out there anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    I don't see why anyone with such a record would stay in USA.

Just move out and start fresh - it's better out there anyway.
    I think it's hard to get work visas in other countries if you're a felon in the US. Probably even harder if you're a registered sex offender felon.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I don't agree with the short sentence, but I'm more appalled by his fathers letter to the court. It was completely ridiculous and painted his son as the traumatized victim... who, by the way, never actually admitted to raping the girl.
    I agree, he called it "20 minutes of action." Like father, like son.

10+ Year Old Account
    Genn, get the popcorn started, and be sure to put on a bit extra. This is gonna be a long one.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    I don't agree with the short sentence, but I'm more appalled by his fathers letter to the court. It was completely ridiculous and painted his son as the traumatized victim... who, by the way, never actually admitted to raping the girl, yet is "deeply affected by his actions that night".
    His childhood friend and drummer Leslie Rasmussen took it even further, luckily her band is getting the shaft over it.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/indie-ba...164048683.html

UPDATE: On Tuesday afternoon, via her band Good English’s since-deactivated Facebook account, drummer Leslie Rasmussen issued a statement regarding her character letter supporting convicted Stanford sex offender Brock Turner – and the backlash that has resulted in multiple canciceeled concerts.....

...Now, a character letter penned by the younger Turner’s Ohio childhood friend, Leslie Rasmussen – in which Rasmussen mentions Turner’s “respectable family” and Olympic aspirations; calls Turner “a sweetheart”; blames “political correctness” and "idiot” college drinking culture for Turner’s arrest; and claims “rape on campuses isn’t always because people are rapists” – is making the rounds. And Rasmussen’s controversial words are creating serious repercussions for her band – which is ironically called Good English.

Nice to see that today's new "Dixie Chicks" are actually wrong this time.
    https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Wires-....sortBy=helpful

Blonde hair swimmers are above the law.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Blonde hair swimmers are above the law.
    >Sentenced
    >going to prison
    >registered sex offender
    >loss of scholarships and swimming career
    ????

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    >Sentenced
    >going to prison
    >registered sex offender
    ????
    6 month jail time vs 5 years that Brian banks faced for a wrongful accusation.

The problem is threads like these, we aren't a court and the media/topics around something like this effects the legal process. It isn't a court of public opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    6 month jail time vs 5 years that Brian banks faced for a wrongful accusation.
    You are comparing a drunken fingering to an alleged brutal sober stairwell rape.

Yes Brian Banks was falsely accused and I am extremely happy he got out and the false accuser/her family are being punished, but you are comparing two very different kinds of crime.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Very surprised at the 6 month sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    This Turner kid, his father, and the judge are all disgusting human beings.

And OP, you say you aren't implying the victim is responsible, but that is exactly what you are doing. No one should have to prepare for rape. Ever.

>Sentenced
    >going to prison
    >registered sex offender
    ????
    Yea agree....looks like a fraction of what some people have to deal with when the procescuters know the guy on trial is innocent.

Deleted
    You are comparing a drunken fingering to an alleged brutal sober stairwell rape.

Yes Brian Banks was falsely accused and I am extremely happy he got out and the false accuser/her family are being punished, but you are comparing two very different kinds of crime.
    You think a black or just a non a-lister student would have gotten the same? Drunken fingering lol, that´s a new one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't agree with the short sentence, but I'm more appalled by his fathers letter to the court. It was completely ridiculous and painted his son as the traumatized victim... who, by the way, never actually admitted to raping the girl, yet is "deeply affected by his actions that night".
    I just want to tell him that I could draw from my holster and shoot him in the head in about three to five seconds. Maybe less if trained.

I could ruin his life and mine in a few seconds, the idea that his son should be given leniency because it was only "twenty minutes of action" is ludicrous and offensive. The action is severe enough that it ruined someone's life, both his son (who he and his father seem to never be capable of recognizing the pain they caused to Emily Doe.) The amount of time it took is meaningless.

I'm also disgusted by the fact that Brock was granted leniency because he's "an athlete." Why the fuck are athletes in this country treated like gods? Who the fuck cares how goddamn fast this piece of shit swims? He was molesting an unconscious girl's vagina, ass and breasts!

He had "no prior convictions?" Oh? You telling me he doesn't know that sexual assault is bad? Bullshit! No one on Earth knows it's bad. Sometimes first offenses are so severe they don't deserve a second chance!

This whole ordeal is disgusting, from the judge granting leniency on the stupidest reasons, to the dad and the rapist both crying about how *their lives* were ruined while ignoring the girl that he FUCKING RAPED while she was unconscious.

Fucking scum.
    Putin khuliyo

He deserves more but lets be honest here, it's common to have a reduce sentence for a first time offender.

wait a minute? all this outrage is over a fingering? he wasnt having sex with her at the time? wow... its as much her fault as it is his. dont drink if you u dont like things like this cause guess what. it happens all the time when drinking and hardly ever when sober.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Genn, get the popcorn started, and be sure to put on a bit extra. This is gonna be a long one.
    U didnt properly summon me, but this is a thread that deserves popcorn

and yes I brought extra

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    This Turner kid, his father, and the judge are all disgusting human beings.

And OP, you say you aren't implying the victim is responsible, but that is exactly what you are doing. No one should have to prepare for rape. Ever.
    Maybe they shouldn't have to, but if I ever have a daughter, I'll certainly be explaining to her that if she's thinking she might get very drunk, she should always have good friends, people she trusts, with her to help protect her from bad situations. I'll also teach her how to lower her risks in other situations.

You shouldn't have to prepare for these risks, but you should still prepare for these risks.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!