Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This film is also poorly cast; Jason Momoa is bad at press. He has never been a draw with any consistency or ability to mobilize his fan base. Also somewhat controversial- just 2 days ago he was getting slammed for his appearance on a talk show promoting this film.
    Are you sure people actually give a shit? Isn't Momoa mean to be good at being an actor in a movie, not at being a press? Aquaman 1 was pretty damn good, mostly thanks to his acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Are you sure people actually give a shit?
    Maybe critics don't. But the broad masses do, whether they're consciously aware of it or not.

Remember, this is about marketing, not about filmmaking. Often a meh product that's marketed really well will (financially) outperform an exceptional product with poor marketing.

The average rando cares less about acting polish than they do about charisma and personality. Of course ideally you'd have both and it's not like being a good actor doesn't benefit things, but people don't realize just how powerful the marketing machine is and how many people will construct this kind of "gut feeling" around actors based on things that aren't their actual acting, and that makes them engage with their products based on impression and not based on the merits of the actual products themselves. That's how all this branding stuff works.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Maybe critics don't. But the broad masses do, whether they're consciously aware of it or not.

Remember, this is about marketing, not about filmmaking. Often a meh product that's marketed really well will (financially) outperform an exceptional product with poor marketing.

The average rando cares less about acting polish than they do about charisma and personality. Of course ideally you'd have both and it's not like being a good actor doesn't benefit things, but people don't realize just how powerful the marketing machine is and how many people will construct this kind of "gut feeling" around actors based on things that aren't their actual acting, and that makes them engage with their products based on impression and not based on the merits of the actual products themselves. That's how all this branding stuff works.
    I simply don't think people care about behind the scenes stuff of the movies that much, if at all. Ask an average moviegoer how can he enjoy Tom Hanks movies after that actor was slightly mean to a reporter half a year ago, they will consider you a lunatic.

Same charisma can and does show during the acting, but that's just the part of it. Pretty sure Momoa is a part of that, he's never going to be the next Brad Pitt or whatnot, but people recognize him as the cool Dothraki guy or the entertaining Aquaman, that's all that matters.

Ask an average moviegoer how can he enjoy Tom Hanks movies after that actor was slightly mean to a reporter half a year ago, they will consider you a lunatic.
    That's because a lot of this happens outside of the individual level. We're talking aggregate numbers here - shifts over large populations. And shifts that individuals often won't even be aware they themselves are engaging in, because people rarely reflect on their own behaviors that actively. People just do things, and they don't really think about the why or how when they do. But data analysis can show that they are influenced by certain things, even if the people in question would be oblivious to them or even outright deny them when asked.

Same charisma can and does show during the acting, but that's just the part of it. Pretty sure Momoa is a part of that, he's never going to be the next Brad Pitt or whatnot, but people recognize him as the cool Dothraki guy or the entertaining Aquaman, that's all that matters.
    That is in fact not "all that matters" and data shows as much. People tend to be quite off when trying to evaluate marketing intuitively, because they have very specific and very biased perspectives - but the marketing data works in aggregate, not from the viewpoint of individuals. If you want to know about someone's behaviors, that someone is usually the last person you ask (unless of course it's behaviors you can't otherwise observe) because they'll never have an unbiased perspective on themselves. That's why marketing will generally avoid things like "he's the cool Dothraki guy" and instead focus on data-driven analyses that show engagement in specific metrics. Those may then be translated back into a summarizing statement like "he's the cool Dothraki guy" or whatever, but it only has purchase if it's backed by data - not the other way round.

Are you sure people actually give a shit? Isn't Momoa mean to be good at being an actor in a movie, not at being a press? Aquaman 1 was pretty damn good, mostly thanks to his acting.
    I don't understand what you are saying here.

Do people give a shit about what?

Being bad at press means you do less press, thus less marketing and fewer outlets promoting your films on film, television, radio, and social media. Meaning you get packaged less often and at lower rates.

Momoa is not lauded for his acting in any regard. That seems a bizarre assertion and mostly your personal feelings. Not that either matters to the content of my previous post. Films don't necessarily make money based on the quality of acting. It all comes down to marketing and market positioning.

Craig Gillespie in Talks to Direct DC Studios’ ‘Supergirl’
    Whether he gets the job or not, I just hope he does it justice. Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow is a fantastic little run of comics from Tom King.

Quote Originally Posted by En Sabah Nur View Post
    Craig Gillespie in Talks to Direct DC Studios’ ‘Supergirl’
    Whether he gets the job or not, I just hope he does it justice. Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow is a fantastic little run of comics from Tom King.
    Agreed. Of all the Gunn projects I’m most interested in this one. I really enjoyed the series, though my biggest concern is it feels better to play as a tv show than a movie for how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Agreed. Of all the Gunn projects I’m most interested in this one. I really enjoyed the series, though my biggest concern is it feels better to play as a tv show than a movie for how it plays out.
    I definitely agree on that. I've kinda just put my hopes in Gunn since he has a few series on the list of stuff, but this wasn't one of them. So I'm just hoping he has a specific vision for it, and how it'll work.