Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Growing up in England with Football

As i'm sure many know England is somewhat obsessed with football and consider it our national sport. Unfortunately for me this sport manifested itself in occasionally awkward moments growing up as a boy for if you're English and male it is automatically assumed you like football. Now my family were never into football or sport in general besides motor-racing so naturally I didn't enjoy football. Despite this however I was still repeatedly asked by various people the same questions "Did you watch the match last night?" "What team do you support?" "Fancy watching the game?" which almost always ended with an awkward silence upon saying "I don't really like football". Eventually it got to the point where I would lie and just play along to avoid the awkwardness.

Any other people here suffer similar whilst growing up?

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    As i'm sure many know England is somewhat obsessed with football and consider it our national sport. Unfortunately for me this sport manifested itself in occasionally awkward moments growing up as a boy for if you're English and male it is automatically assumed you like football. Now my family were never into football or sport in general besides motor-racing so naturally I didn't enjoy football. Despite this however I was still repeatedly asked by various people the same questions "Did you watch the match last night?" "What team do you support?" "Fancy watching the game?" which almost always ended with an awkward silence upon saying "I don't really like football". Eventually it got to the point where I would lie and just play along to avoid the awkwardness.

I'm exactly the same, cept Australian, and its cricket or the various form of rugby. Never had sport wathcing parents so I never cared. I know the struggle.

Watching sports is just as boring as watching youtubers play video games. Can just play them myself instead of watching someone else play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Not really. I actually do follow sports...some to a higher degree than others.

My two least favorite sports are baseball and soccer. I actually get annoyed because my uncle asks me about baseball stuff even when I tell him baseball is boring and I don't watch it, lol....

Soccer isn't really big in the U.S. until FIFA comes around. Then suddenly everyone in the U.S. is a huge fan....*rolls eyes*

I'm from the US, and I feel the same way. I do watch sports. Only the teams that I am a fan of. Any team thats from Minnesota. Havent actually watched a championship or super bowl in years since Favre almost helped the Vikings get a ring. But yeah... I get that awkward feels when I tell people I'm watching a game because Minnesota is not playing tonight lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I was forced to play a few games of the accursed sport at school when I was younger, but my head seemed to act like a magnate for the football, which hurt like hell, as you can well imagine.

But yeah. I generally hate football. Didn't really have any issues though, I made my dislike of the sport obvious enough that nobody asks me about it anymore. And most people I hang out with hate it too.

Football is just as exciting as watching paint dry to me. Same reaction to Formula 1, Golf and cricket.

More of a Rugby fan and generally a fan of other sports where people get knocked around.

7+ Year Old Account
    Being the same for spanish kids. You're an outcast if you couldnt keep up with football, so play it everyday.
    I think it still is that way.
    "You can wear whatever costume you want for Halloween and it's totally cool but here's a list of costumes I'll shame you for and call you sexist and racist if you do wear them"
    - Laci Green 2015.

Here in Germany I have the same problem. When we go having dinner with our customers to "socialize" it's almost always football or sports they want to talk about to break the ice. And I have not the slightest idea about it, I only sit there "hmhm", "yes sure", "wow".
    It seems none of my nerdy hobbies are compatible with what's expected and could be talked about in any leisurely business meeting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much but with American Football. Down here there's this "rivalry" between Georgia and Florida. It doesn't make a bit of sense to me. It's just a bunch of guys that none of these people have ever met playing against each other. How do you "support" them?

Deleted
    I always found it worst if I lied only to be followed with another question

Stranger: What team do you support?
    Me: Leeds United
    Stranger: Me too, who's your favourite footballer?
    Me: ...

I didn't realize football was so big in England. I know the NFL goes there once a year but never thought that would be enough to support a significant fan-base ;-). All kidding aside, I was never really into sports growing up but became a big football (American) fan as an adult. Initially it wasn't the sport itself that attracted me to the game, but rather I just enjoyed having a beer with the guys and getting pumped over whatever team I was cheering for that day. As I kept watching it though I started to learn the intricacies of the game and really started to enjoy trying to predict the upcoming play, watching a feat of particular athleticism etc. I also picked my own team to cheer for and have a tribal identity within the sport. I'm sure fans of soccer enjoy it for many of the same reasons.

Deleted

Pretty much the same. My dad grew up in a sectarian area of Scotland and had no interest in it on those grounds. So it wasn't a thing at home. I always chose rugby instead at school when it was an option. Wasn't really an issue at school that I can remember, even though I grew up in Manchester. Each school I went to banned all merchandise: bags/scarves/etc.

I went to Uni, the first time at 19, in Liverpool. That was fucking harsh (but character building )as I had quite an identifiable accent then and I would have to avoid football pubs, groups on the street, as the scrapping at bars when I was heard got tiresome. I was totally oblivious to the extent of the city rivalry and how football boosts its effect when I first got there.

I've moved around a lot and so,so, many people, when they ask where I grew up, ask about Utd. They always get super disappointed when I tell them they for sure will know more than me. I thought a guy from Singapore was going to cry once when I told him. It is as if I grew up in some sort of football mecca and turned my back on a golden opportunity. When I was living as an ex-pat it's quite usual that social events with other ex-pats start out as watching the match when one of the group's teams is playing an international match. I'd often sit there for the entire match not knowing which team was which . Have to confess to not really understanding everything about the offside rule too.

10+ Year Old Account
    English people are famous for small talk, which is football and weather. If it wasn't for football...you get the idea.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    English people are famous for small talk, which is football and weather. If it wasn't for football...you get the idea.
    They're boring people?

10+ Year Old Account
    titles like these always confuse me because over here it's called soccer. always loved playing soccer when i was a teenager. still do.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're boring people?
    Yes, but that basically majority of working class.

Deleted
    Football is ok but I'm not a fan

I prefer playing sports to watching them

I actually would prefer to watch e-sports, once that becomes mainstream

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Only did not care that much about football during my later teens, so nope.
    Edwin van der Sar was even the sports player I looked up to the most as a kid.

Northern Ireland.. Celtic or Rangers.. your kneecaps might actually hinge on the answer back in the day. I wonder why I never got into sports much?