View Poll Results: Is money the blood of economy?

Voters
24. This poll is closed
  • No

7 29.17%
  • Yes

17 70.83%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is money the blood of economy?

Is money the blood of economy?

Deleted
    Money is a proxy for work (in the broad sense), and since work *is* what economy is about... yes?

Deleted
    Well, it needs to circulate to keep the economy alive I guess?

No, it's butterflies, unicorns, and kisses

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Money as in coins and papers? Not as such, but currency is. Whatever we use as currency doesn't matter really, money is just easier to bargain and trade with than say... Shiny rocks or dead crabs.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. It has to circulate to be useful, and when it clots too heavily in one place it kills the host. Perfect comparison, OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    Yes. It has to circulate to be useful, and when it clots too heavily in one place it kills the host. Perfect comparison, OP.
    If there is a open hole, then it needs to clot or you bleed to death.

Of course.

With money I know I can trade 1 Coin, for whatever you're selling. But under a bartering system, I might want to trade 8 bits of paper to you for it, however someone else down the road might want that paper in exchange for something you want, so I trade them first, then you. Now, imagine that on a global scale with all the products available?

Bartering is no way to run an economy.

Money, or some form of currency, is the only reliable means to managing a sustainable economy.

It's a pretty good metaphor.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    In terms of fiat currency, I would say it's oil in a car. It is a necessary lubricant, but not the lifeblood of the economy.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-07-18 at 01:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as you don't only define money as physical currency, but also as credit, yes.

You are going to need to define money and blood for the question to have meaning.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Absolutely it is, as it is how we measure wealth, and rate the comparative value of, well, everything. Not only is it the basis of our economy, but we as a civilization place it above life on the 'importance' scale.

If money is the blood of the economy, are NEETs leukemia?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Absolutely it is, as it is how we measure wealth, and rate the comparative value of, well, everything. Not only is it the basis of our economy, but we as a civilization place it above life on the 'importance' scale.
    Money is more about symbolic tokens than a fundamental basis, the economy is still built on top of the fundamentals. Such as extracting natural resources and processing it into products and services. Money is a huge convenience, unlike blood you could live without it.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-07-18 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Money is more about symbolic tokens than a fundamental basis, the economy is still built on top of the fundamentals. Such as extracting natural resources and processing it into products and services. Money is a huge convenience, unlike blood you could live without it.
    I do get what you're saying, though all the steps you mention are represented monetarily though. (and not all services require natural resources.)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    (and not all services require natural resources.)
    Yeah there are some knowledge workers where the service is purely abstract. A lot of services are still physical asset oriented even if it doesn't require the customer to purchase their own stuff.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-07-18 at 07:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Money is the only known way to standartize exchange of goods. Without money, you would be paid for your work with food, electronics, etc., rather than choosing what you get for it. So yes, I suppose, you could say that.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    No, it's butterflies, unicorns, and kisses
    I can provide the first two, but you are on your own for the last one.

15+ Year Old Account
    To increase the amount of blood in your body you should cut a lot of holes in yourself and in cut a lot of holes in others too and let much of your blood bleed out and spill onto the wounds of others, and let their blood spill into your own wounds. That way, you both become healthier. You can also inject or simply drink extra blood, doesn't matter whose. And store some in your freezer for a rainy day.

Perfect.
    Last edited by Revi; 2016-07-18 at 10:25 PM.