Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    It's just not a good purchase. The board is overpriced, that's all. It has good features for a $110 board, not a $150 board.
    The features alone cover the difference. Do you realize how archaic asrock or anyone elses software overclocking is in comparsion to asus's? No you dont. Every other board manufacturer has presets where you press a button in the bios, the asus goes through an actual stress test and varies the voltage to the clocks you are running.
    Example:

Asrock max overclock preset, 4.4ghz 1.4v
    Asus max overclock with AU suite, 4.6ghz with 1.35v. While keeping every power saving feature on as it should be done, many times the auto OC presets on lesser manufacturer boards used fixed volts or even turn speedstep off. You really havent a clue how far advanced asus is in this respect.

- - - Updated - - -

It's just not a good purchase. The board is overpriced, that's all. It has good features for a $110 board, not a $150 board.

Overclocking software capability doesnt matter, it's always inferior to BIOS overclocking. It should be able to display the tempratures, fan speeds and allow fan control. That's all what's needed from any motherboard software.
    Not only are you wrong on that, you are missing out on one of the best features of asus motherboards....the fan headers are able to control RPM even on non pwm fans. No other board manufacturer can do this, it legit negates the reason to own a fan controller. You know nothing about your own motherboard, do you think you are in a position to be giving advice to other people on the matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    The features alone cover the difference. Do you realize how archaic asrock or anyone elses software overclocking is in comparsion to asus's? No you dont. Every other board manufacturer has presets where you press a button in the bios, the asus goes through an actual stress test and varies the voltage to the clocks you are running.
    Example:

Asrock max overclock preset, 4.4ghz 1.4v
    Asus max overclock with AU suite, 4.6ghz with 1.35v. While keeping every power saving feature on as it should be done, many times the auto OC presets on lesser manufacturer boards used fixed volts or even turn speedstep off. You really havent a clue how far advanced asus is in this respect.
    I dont care how archaic it is. It doesnt matter. Software overclocking is useless and if used irresposibly can damage your processor. For example doing 4.6Hz and 1.4v in the OS will cause an immediate crash on most chips.

Not only are you wrong on that, you are missing out on one of the best features of asus motherboards....the fan headers are able to control RPM even on non pwm fans. No other board manufacturer can do this, it legit negates the reason to own a fan controller. You know nothing about your own motherboard, do you think you are in a position to be giving advice to other people on the matter?
    It legit fries your fans, yeah. Nice job ASUS fanboy.

No matter what i say you will never get it. Continue giving bad advice here and ill be around to correct you. This forum does not exist to cure your boredom, it is here to provide people good advice which you currently are not doing.

Deleted
    Considering the disagreement regarding overclocking I will stay away from that for now ^^ Better safe than sorry I suppose.
    Also, thanks for the input regarding the GTX 1060, I will keep an eye out - after all there is still time until Legion, so no rush

Thanks everyone!

No problem my man lol. I just get a little heated when i see bad advice thrown around. If anything stick to z170/6600k/aftermarket cooler and if you decide to overclock later the option is there, its a small price for a good amount of future proofing.

Deleted
    Preise einfach bei http://geizhals.de vergleichen. Sollte aber unter 1000€ rauskommen. Und für WoW solltest du defintiv die CPU overclocken! Das ist eine Sache von 5 Minuten und bringt vorallem bei WoW sehr viel, da die Engine eben sehr Single-Core limited ist. Das heißt du willst eine so hohe CoreClock wie es geht auf Core0! Bei der Grafikkarte lohnt es sich eventuell auf die GTX 1060 zu warten.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€246.82 @ Mindfactory)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€34.82 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€131.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (€76.44 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€51.66 @ Mindfactory)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card (€296.92 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (€62.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€159.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €1061.53
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-18 20:19 CEST+0200

Deleted
    Hello again,

I have fiddled a little bit, and ignoring the mainboard for now by keeping the original choice, have come up with slight modifications leading to this build

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

As has been mentioned several times now the Video Card is also not set in stone. After checking retailers this would lead to a total price (without shipping) of 1024,77 EUR. I am considering investing a bit more in the case Thunder suggested.

Thanks again for your time!

You're basically at the bottom. You can swap the mobo and SSD for about 35 EUR but that' about it. I suggest investing into a case, if low noise is important for you look into this.

Deleted
    Sparked by curiosity I found this video explaining how to OC the 6600k and 6700k.

https://youtu.be/CV-J2TU08Qk

Due to my inexperience I cannot judge the quality of the information presented. I will look into it a little more

Quote Originally Posted by Vendara View Post
    Sparked by curiosity I found this video explaining how to OC the 6600k and 6700k.

https://youtu.be/CV-J2TU08Qk

Due to my inexperience I cannot judge the quality of the information presented. I will look into it a little more
    Overclocking is pretty easy to do, even if you do it the proper way, through the BIOS. You just have to do is step-by-step and dont expect the settings in the video work for your chip, every chip is different.

Deleted
    This is an option, but remember WoW engine really prefers nvidia architecture. If you can find a 199.00 dollar aftermarket cooled 480 its probably a better buy than an nvidia at 250, but i think both are going to be hard to find and priced higher than MSRP for a little while.
    The first price I saw of the 1060 in the Netherlands was 375 euro's.... So I highly doubt, the 1060 will go for anything below 300 euro's the first few weeks/months.

Software overclocking is garbage. It doesnt matter how you do it, how good the software is. It's not gonna be that stable and safe for your processor simply because: a) some setting that are crucial for computer stability with overvoltage can only be changed through BIOS. b) your system wont hold the voltage set by software as well as when it's set in BIOS. c) Your computer will boot with one set of setting and will change into another one after the software starts.

Tell that to my 4770k that OCed to 4.9 automatically by using that "garbage software" you keep spouting off.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Tell that to my 4770k that OCed to 4.9 automatically by using that "garbage software" you keep spouting off.
    You're either lying or have a monstrously good chip. If your system is not stable with this clocks it doesnt matter if it is then congratulations this kind of stable overclocking is usually reached with cryo solutions. You won the silicon lottery.

You're either lying or have a monstrously good chip. If your system is not stable with this clocks it doesnt matter if it is then congratulations this kind of stable overclocking is usually reached with cryo solutions. You won the silicon lottery.
    It has been running for 18 months this way with zero issues, and the highest temps recorded so far is 60c. It is usually sitting between 48-54c. Even without getting a lucky chip, it is a well-known fact that Asus Suite typically gets the 4770k chip to a minimum of 4.1 stable clocks, and most to at least 4.5. I am also using an AIO water cooler, which helps as well.

Deleted
    Ever since a colleague fried his system with overclocking I didn't even try it. Any opinions on the RX 480 4GB vs 8GB?

Ever since a colleague fried his system with overclocking I didn't even try it. Any opinions on the RX 480 4GB vs 8GB?
    If you plan to never OC, there is no reason to pay extra for a 6600k. You might as well save a few bucks by buying the 6600, and pocket the difference, or spend it elsewhere on the system. The 4GB graphics card should be fine for WoW. Only a very tiny number of games require more.

Deleted
    With the GTX 1060 releasing (together with AIBs) I can't possibly decide on the GPU. Looking at my retailer of choice, I can obtain a Gainward or Zotac 1060 for the exact same price as a reference RX 480, where no AIBs are available yet.

How do you even choose?! I suppose it's best to wait and compare AIBs to one another

With the GTX 1060 releasing (together with AIBs) I can't possibly decide on the GPU. Looking at my retailer of choice, I can obtain a Gainward or Zotac 1060 for the exact same price as a reference RX 480, where no AIBs are available yet.

How do you even choose?! I suppose it's best to wait and compare AIBs to one another
    Definetely go with GTX 1060 if the price is within $40.

Deleted
    I would actually wait for the custom 480s.

The 480 still pulls ahead in DX12. Depending on how long you want the card to last, it might be worth it to wait a tiny bit longer.

I dont care how archaic it is. It doesnt matter. Software overclocking is useless and if used irresposibly can damage your processor. For example doing 4.6Hz and 1.4v in the OS will cause an immediate crash on most chips.
    You're living in the past Thunderball. Believe it or not, the Asus software is actually pretty good. Their driver support for other products however...
    Based on your post I feel that you live in a bubble where things that didn't work for you cant possibly work for others.

Ever since a colleague fried his system with overclocking I didn't even try it.
    OC doesnt mean that you need to push your CPU to the limit. You can easily go for a decent OC without getting close to any dangers whatsoever, and theres a lot of free performance hidden in those 66/6700K chips. Just read up on overclocking and you'll be able to do it yourself in 10 minutes without any hassle.