You can pretty much ignore energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by a wiser man
    Tanking should not exist just to let healers and dps have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coramac
    If a monk has 200k DTPS and 200k HPS in hots on him, does anyone hear when he purifies?
    WeakAura sets with Rotation Helpers: Vengeance - Brewmaster

ARMORY - ARMORY
    <Ninjapartio>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Triplemoe View Post
    I have returned with more questions. When you take Blackout Combo, is it better to make sure that you combo the right ability or is making sure to not cap energy more important (outside of BL ofc)?
    Capping energy as BM isn't an issue if you make better use of BoC and it's buffs while you do so. With enough haste you will usually see more often the energy cap than energy starvation.
    Quote Originally Posted by redfella View Post
    You can pretty much ignore energy.

Hows our self sustain work? Seems like orbs never spawn when you want it so our only heal seems to be elixir most of the time

Orbs spawn always when you reach the danger zone. With EH you can usually utilize 3-4 orbs before going way under 35%. You only stay below that in circumstances that are out of your control and mostly not your fault.
    If a monk has 200k DTPS and 200k HPS in hots on him, does anyone hear when he purifies?

ARMORY - ARMORY
    <Ninjapartio>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearygood View Post
    Hows our self sustain work? Seems like orbs never spawn when you want it so our only heal seems to be elixir most of the time
    You spawn an orb every time you take 100% of your total health in damage before Stagger is calculated. With a handful of traits, you also spawn an orb whenever you drop below 35% health.

Quote Originally Posted by Triplemoe View Post
    I have returned with more questions. When you take Blackout Combo, is it better to make sure that you combo the right ability or is making sure to not cap energy more important (outside of BL ofc)?
    Definitely the right ability. To be honest, I'd BoC + Keg Smash without a single exception if possible. If you don't have the energy, then just wait for it or cast either chi wave (if talented) or BoC + Breath of Fire. If you know you have both BoF and KG in CD, then you can use Tiger Palm.

But yeah, energy isn't the priority. For survivability, the brews are your most important "CD" to track. If not, I guess you can combo all your BoC with tiger palm.
    Last edited by Raiz; 2017-01-02 at 10:20 AM.

BoC with TP always on easy farm content. BoC+KS > BoC+BoF normally. If you get legenday chest:, BoC+KS+BoF into BoC 2x TP *repeat*

ARMORY - ARMORY
    <Ninjapartio>

So today I survived tank dummy in order hall till 44 stacks(+220% damage) with 35% orbs in 839 gear. Can someone tell me how much is possible with 880+ gear?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anufis View Post
    So today I survived tank dummy in order hall till 44 stacks(+220% damage) with 35% orbs in 839 gear. Can someone tell me how much is possible with 880+ gear?
    I afk'd in the Garrison earlier next to the tank dummy there. When I came back I had to laugh at how big the dummy was. Anyway, I went afk and came back dead, so no idea what the stacks was on when I died.

Haven't tried the Order hall one though. But then again, BrM is OP there since we can just put our back against the wall and afk.
    Hi

Deleted
    I have the BrM AOE Threat capabilities sooo much..

Do you know when a Hunter fails Misdirection and pulls ahead of you with Misdirection? Good luck trying to pick up 8 adds running around in different angles with Keg Smash and Breat of Fire if the Exploding Keg is on CD.

Wish they made Emerald Jade Wind baseline.

That takes 2 GCDs. Statue down -> AoE taunt. Lovely vs skittish too.

ARMORY - ARMORY
    <Ninjapartio>

I've seen people mention that they can survive 5+ spears in a row on Odyn. Is that just rolling out during the cast time or something? I can only live using cooldowns for 3.

Quote Originally Posted by zebrazoomba View Post
    I've seen people mention that they can survive 5+ spears in a row on Odyn. Is that just rolling out during the cast time or something? I can only live using cooldowns for 3.
    You can survive 2-3 with no cd's and two more with Fortifying and Zen Med. After that, you're approaching critical buttpucker.

- - - Updated - - -

Taunt isn't on the GCD, but statue has a 1.5 sec gcd.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by quizzlemanizzle View Post
    I have the BrM AOE Threat capabilities sooo much..

Do you know when a Hunter fails Misdirection and pulls ahead of you with Misdirection? Good luck trying to pick up 8 adds running around in different angles with Keg Smash and Breat of Fire if the Exploding Keg is on CD.

Wish they made Emerald Jade Wind baseline.
    Yeah, our AOE does indeed suck dick. When a dps pulls ahead of me and Keg Smash misses half of the mobs: ultimate sadness.

Quote Originally Posted by stross01 View Post
    You can survive 2-3 with no cd's and two more with Fortifying and Zen Med. After that, you're approaching critical buttpucker.

- - - Updated - - -

Taunt isn't on the GCD, but statue has a 1.5 sec gcd.
    I should be able to survive 2-3 in melee range just with Ironskin Brew? Maybe the one where I tried without CDs was #4. I can't remember for sure, but I thought I got murdered on an early one in melee range without CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by zebrazoomba View Post
    I should be able to survive 2-3 in melee range just with Ironskin Brew? Maybe the one where I tried without CDs was #4. I can't remember for sure, but I thought I got murdered on an early one in melee range without CDs.
    You'll want 2 brews stocked for purifying after each, as well as a stockpile of orbs. If you're using BoC, you can pause the stagger before the hit with a third brew.

Note that there isn't much of a reason to do this anymore. Spear damage was made pretty weak with the nerf.

just learning a bit of Brm but I'm a tad confused about what we can do to deal with damage that is too low to impact stagger into red? It's a bit of an odd system to do nothing but keep iron skin up and have it never reach yellow let alone red.

Also does RJW feel very short for it being on the gcd, also I don't feel there is much if any threat generation connected to it? I know it's not as good dmg wise as the other talent but it's making running through dungeons fun so I pick it. Plus expel harm on the gcd doesn't seem to make sense.
    Last edited by Ryanite; 2017-01-05 at 08:46 AM.

It's the same for any tank really, when damage is too low to matter there is rarely any sense in wasting resources on mitigation. For Brewmaster though, that resource should be spent if using Special Delivery, since it will generate DPS. If nothing in a instance can put you to red stagger and you aren't using SD for some reason, then there's literally no need to drink brews at all. Why would you even care about mitigation in a place that doesn't push you to red? You aren't really taking a lot damage and the healer only needs to toss you a heal every now and then.

RJW is low damage but medium utility tool for add pickup. Black Ox Statue however is a high utility tool for add pickup. Slam the statue it down, wait for mobs to get closer and then cast taunt on the statue to force every mob to yourself.

Basicly:
    - You COULD pick RJW if you have low haste and really need Leg Sweep instead of the Ox Statue (I see no point in having RJW and Ox both).
    - You SHOULD pick up Black ox Statue and Special Delivery, they are stronger for add pickup and DPS but a bit more complex to use.

Later on if the occasion rises where you really need Leg Sweep but want the increased DPS of SD, you'll probably know your Brewmaster well enough to make do -- just need to target mobs one by one more often if and when Keg Smash misses part of pulled mobs.

ARMORY - ARMORY
    <Ninjapartio>

Deleted
    I considered that but ultimately losing the AOE stun is too much to me plus I have some bad experience with the statue pulling stuff into combat that I don't want to pull due to its big range.

- - - Updated - - -

Later on if the occasion rises where you really need Leg Sweep but want the increased DPS of SD, you'll probably know your Brewmaster well enough to make do -- just need to target mobs one by one more often if and when Keg Smash misses part of pulled mobs.
    I know this but 1) we had Skittish last week so good luck picking up the adds by single targetting them after Keg Smash. When eager dps pulls ahead of me and I have 6-8 mobs running at me from different angles to the dps it gets impossible to hit all of them with Keg Smash/Breath of Fire if Exploding Keg is on CD. When I am on my DK it is far easier to handle these situations.

Had a horror experience on a Nightbane run last week with a Fire Mage who thought he needed to pull ahead of me all the time and pull more mobs than necessary to get huge Living Bomb numbers.

It is not that BRM is bad really, it is just that Brewmaster Quality of Life is so so bad compared to other tanks.

The statue range is quite manageable. It's 40yd, as is Crackling Jade Lightning. If you are unsure of the positioning and wether it will reach, just target a mob at distance and if your CJL is red, your statue won't pull that far. You quickly develop a good sense to how far that 40yd really is and can use it quite safely in all of the current 5man content with the exception of about half of Court of Stars.

Many 5man comps have enough AoE stuns so that you can safely skip Leg Sweep, since one of those stuns would be under a seconds duration/immune due diminishing returns.

Especially on Skittish the value of Dave >>>>>> Leg Sweep.

It is not that BRM is bad really, it is just that Brewmaster Quality of Life is so so bad compared to other tanks.
    We have the tools. You opt not to use them.
    Last edited by redfella; 2017-01-05 at 09:57 AM.

ARMORY - ARMORY
    <Ninjapartio>

Quote Originally Posted by stross01 View Post
    You'll want 2 brews stocked for purifying after each, as well as a stockpile of orbs. If you're using BoC, you can pause the stagger before the hit with a third brew.

Note that there isn't much of a reason to do this anymore. Spear damage was made pretty weak with the nerf.
    I see thanks. I was just trying to figure out how to handle multiple spears after cotank death. I'm a little under-geared for it though, so I'm guessing that's probably most of the issue.