Upgrade/New Build for Legion / No Man's Sky

Hello lovely people, I'm looking to upgrade my PC to be able to play Legion and No Man's Sky on the highest settings that exist. It was built in 2011 with a RAM and GPU update in 2013/4. The current setup is below (sorry for non specific items):

• CPU - Intel i7-2600K @ 3.4 GHz Quad core
    • CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro H50
    • Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3
    • Memory - 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz, not sure on actual model
    • Storage - 2x 500GB in raid 0
    • GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7800
    • Case - Cooler Master CM 690 (I think, looks like this)
    • PSU - 650W something, I'm not too sure. From 2011
    • Fans - like 4x Noctua fans on a fan controller

Wow is really starting to judder a lot and loading times are a bit rubbish, but I'm not sure where the bottleneck is. I think a new CPU needed but that will require a new motherboard from what I've been told as well as a new cooling unit, I'm really very rusty at this. I think a new GPU and maybe RAM may be needed too.

It's looking like a fresh build will be needed, which is something I'm open to, but I'd like to keep hold of the items that just don't need replacing such as the fans. I'll be keeping current peripherals as they are and looking at a budget of around £1000 max. I'd also prefer to stick to liquid CPU cooling if possible too, though I've seen most builds seem to avoid this now for some reason?

I've looked myself but as soon as I looked at the CPU change it started talking about chipsets and stuff I just don't have the knowledge on. I'm unsure about going for an i5 or an i7, when I built my current PC with the help of a friend he suggested i7 all the time, but now it seems to be the other way around?

Any help will be appreciated. Like I said I'm open to a fresh build, but I just want to avoid throwing some perfectly good components away.

Thanks
    Prandy

Quote Originally Posted by Prandy View Post
    Hello lovely people, I'm looking to upgrade my PC to be able to play Legion and No Man's Sky on the highest settings that exist. It was built in 2011 with a RAM and GPU update in 2013/4. The current setup is below (sorry for non specific items):

• CPU - Intel i7-2600K @ 3.4 GHz Quad core
    • CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro H50
    • Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3
    • Memory - 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz, not sure on actual model
    • Storage - 2x 500GB in raid 0
    • GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7800
    • Case - Cooler Master CM 690 (I think, looks like this)
    • PSU - 650W something, I'm not too sure. From 2011
    • Fans - like 4x Noctua fans on a fan controller

Wow is really starting to judder a lot and loading times are a bit rubbish, but I'm not sure where the bottleneck is. I think a new CPU needed but that will require a new motherboard from what I've been told as well as a new cooling unit, I'm really very rusty at this. I think a new GPU and maybe RAM may be needed too.

It's looking like a fresh build will be needed, which is something I'm open to, but I'd like to keep hold of the items that just don't need replacing such as the fans. I'll be keeping current peripherals as they are and looking at a budget of around £1000 max. I'd also prefer to stick to liquid CPU cooling if possible too, though I've seen most builds seem to avoid this now for some reason?

I've looked myself but as soon as I looked at the CPU change it started talking about chipsets and stuff I just don't have the knowledge on. I'm unsure about going for an i5 or an i7, when I built my current PC with the help of a friend he suggested i7 all the time, but now it seems to be the other way around?

Any help will be appreciated. Like I said I'm open to a fresh build, but I just want to avoid throwing some perfectly good components away.

Thanks
    Prandy
    If it was me i'd just get a new GPU and an SSD. I've got that CPU (albeit overclocked) and it plays WoW without any problems on ultra. It's still a really good CPU.

You probably dont need CPU change if you overclock your 2600K to at least 4.4GHz. Get an SSD for system + first priority ones to help with loading times, 250GB or 500GB Samsung 850 EVO will do nicely. PSU health needs to be looked up into, please specify the model and check voltages on full load (use HWMonitor or Speedfan).

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Have you overclocked your 2600k? At similar overclocked speeds the newest i7 Skylake CPU would be around 10-30% faster. The GPU could definitely use an upgrade though, maybe a GTX 1060.

Do you have an SSD? A Samsung 850 evo would certainly make load times fast.
    Yeah it is over locked to 3.8GHz I think, would have to check though. If the GPU is the weak point then I'll get one of the new ones Chaud mentioned in the setup of the month, not sure if that's exactly what you just mentioned too. Same goes with an SSD too, cheers guys.