Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Getting new phones question

Time for my wife and I to get new phones. We currently both have 1st gen Moto X's. We like Android so we're staying with that. Also we like to have the same phone in case we need to use the other's phone in an emergency and we can just pick up the other and operate it quickly without having to figure it out.

These Moto X's were our first Android phones btw. Our last two phones were windows phones, and before that, well, it was flip phones. Anyways, to my question, looking to actually get better phones. Not like side-grades or phones that are equal. I dont' want to get 2 years down the line and all apps are just running slow if you know what I mean. Also I'm not trying to get the best phone either, money is an issue. I personally would like a little bit larger screen as my job has me taking lots of photos through microscopes and having a bigger screen will help when I need to look through the pics I've taken of tissues and the like.

Anyways, I'm not a phone guru, when I was looking at the website, I wasnt sure which phone was better than what I had. I'm just not familiar with smart phone hardware and would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks much.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Only advice I can give is to avoid Apple.

Unless you like paying a premium for something with a planned obsolescence of about 20 months running software that will automatically download its own killer.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

moto x sucks the only way to go is iphone obviously

What budget are we talking about?

If it's up to 200$

Check:
    Huawei Honor 5x
    Meizu M3 Note
    Or perhaps a OnePlus One if you manage to find it @ around 200$.
    Last edited by Mavett; 2016-07-25 at 05:51 AM.

i want one of those HUGE walkie talkie old school cell phones from the eighties.

7+ Year Old Account
    If you wanna take good photos get a Sony Xperia Z5. It's waterproof and has a 23 megapixel camera, it's really good. Also has a insanely good battery, which holds for up to 2 days without having to charge it - up to 1 week give or take with little usage. Overall a really nice phone, looks good as well. Oh and it also has a fingerprint scanner which is really cool, good for that extra security.
    Last edited by Nyoken; 2016-07-25 at 05:50 AM.

They all do the same crap, get whatever phone is on sale through your service provider. People who spend $300 or more on cell phones are insane, unless you're making six figures a year that is an incredible waste of money.

Unfortunately though our economic system seems to thrive on people pissing their money away on frivolous nonsense, economists should be thanking the HSN for getting us through our last two economic recessions.

Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    Time for my wife and I to get new phones. We currently both have 1st gen Moto X's. We like Android so we're staying with that. Also we like to have the same phone in case we need to use the other's phone in an emergency and we can just pick up the other and operate it quickly without having to figure it out.

These Moto X's were our first Android phones btw. Our last two phones were windows phones, and before that, well, it was flip phones. Anyways, to my question, looking to actually get better phones. Not like side-grades or phones that are equal. I dont' want to get 2 years down the line and all apps are just running slow if you know what I mean. Also I'm not trying to get the best phone either, money is an issue. I personally would like a little bit larger screen as my job has me taking lots of photos through microscopes and having a bigger screen will help when I need to look through the pics I've taken of tissues and the like.

Anyways, I'm not a phone guru, when I was looking at the website, I wasnt sure which phone was better than what I had. I'm just not familiar with smart phone hardware and would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks much.
    I like to chime in of these threads. What are the most important features behind pictures for you. Just for your information Nearly every top-end to midrange phone allows for you to magnify an image on the screen to look at the finer points of the image. ppi (pixels per) inch plays a bigger factor here than screen size (though imo best of both worlds would be the samsung phones). Bigger screen does not necessarily mean more clarity.

Shoot me a message or respond here, i'll answer.
    If you are progressing through content just to obtain gear, you are doing it wrong. You, in fact, are doing it exactly backwards.
    You are the leader of the Black Harvest, go harvest some squirrels and crack some more nuts. Sir.

Deleted
    Ill just recommend my own phone, Samsung Galaxy s6- since s7 is out you ca get it somewhat cheap but everything about it is top quality.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    They all do the same crap, get whatever phone is on sale through your service provider. People who spend $300 or more on cell phones are insane, unless you're making six figures a year that is an incredible waste of money.

Unfortunately though our economic system seems to thrive on people pissing their money away on frivolous nonsense, economists should be thanking the HSN for getting us through our last two economic recessions.
    Somebody is jealous.

Most of the cost of smartphones has nothing to do with it being a cell phone anymore, at this point you are more so buying a mobile computer with a screen. Having a mobile computer is not frivolous, they can give you huge advantages by putting more information and services at the tip of your fingers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Watain View Post
    Ill just recommend my own phone, Samsung Galaxy s6- since s7 is out you ca get it somewhat cheap but everything about it is top quality.
    gonna echo this thought, s7 wasnt that big of a leap from the s6 so its not worth the extra money. and dont get the edge, just a good way to break the screen as soon as you drop it
    3ds fc 0576 4895 9192
    ice safari with snorunt sneasel and lapras

pm me if you add me!

7+ Year Old Account
    No.

/10char
    You think $300 is a lot and were angsting about the economic system.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    You think $300 is a lot and were angsting about the economic system.
    People who are intelligent with money don't piss it away frivolously.

Quote Originally Posted by draganid View Post
    gonna echo this thought, s7 wasnt that big of a leap from the s6 so its not worth the extra money. and dont get the edge, just a good way to break the screen as soon as you drop it
    I'm no phone expert, but my current phone is a Galaxy s6, and it's the best phone I've ever had. I've had it a little over a year, and it's still running fine. Boom email, type type, boom text msg type type, hey cool looking leaf photo photo, ok google where am I? Directions to Jackson Square. etc. etc.

Just recommend a quality case in case of droppage.

Most providers have extremely good deals right now if OP is looking. Since his concerns seem to be the camera and having the same phone as the wife, check out camera reviews first, then check out package deals for multiple phones on an account. Also deals for switching to a different provider.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

7+ Year Old Account
    People who are intelligent with money don't piss it away frivolously.
    Do you also think tablets and laptops are frivolous? They can be almost functionally identically, merely geared toward a different portability size and UI.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Do you also think tablets and laptops are frivolous? They are almost functionally identically, merely geared toward a different portability size and UI.
    I do actually think tablets are pointless. Smart phones are not pointless, but there is no need to spend $300 or more on a smartphone and replace it every year like most people seem to do. It's the equivalent of people in the projects wearing designer brand clothing that costs 99% of their expendable income.

Deleted
    For cheap ~$200 I think OnePlus X and maybe the two Huawei models out in US.

7+ Year Old Account
    I do actually think tablets are pointless. Smart phones are not pointless, but there is no need to spend $300 or more on a smartphone and replace it every year like most people seem to do. It's the equivalent of people in the projects wearing designer brand clothing that costs 99% of their expendable income.
    I think if you upgrade before your current phone is experiencing signs of obsolescence that could be more clearly seen as wasteful. Like Zombergy implied, it can happen around 20 months for some phones, though I think 3 years would be very safely at the non-wasteful upgrade point. That part is more subjective.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-07-25 at 06:21 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I'm no phone expert, but my current phone is a Galaxy s6, and it's the best phone I've ever had. I've had it a little over a year, and it's still running fine. Boom email, type type, boom text msg type type, hey cool looking leaf photo photo, ok google where am I? Directions to Jackson Square. etc. etc.
    16mpx camera, 1080p 60fps video, abillity for mutiple app windows, amazing screen.... love the fuck outta it