Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Nah, it's fine. That's how we handle flag burners in this country apparently.
    If you think that you are ignorant of the fact that we specifically protect flag burning, nobody is put in jail for only burning a flag.

Do you think I am shielded from opposing view points?
    You? Who knows? But is there a strong effort by colleges to try to prevent view points that oppose the liberal agenda from being heard? Yes.

Shapiro isn't even that radical lol. I think you guys have him confused with Milo Yianopolus.

The real lesson here is that non-STEM students need to be given a fuck load more homework. Idle hands mother fuckers. How anyone can be bored enough to spend their time protesting random speeches from an opposing point is absurd.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    The real lesson here is that non-STEM students need to be given a fuck load more homework.
    there is only so much homework you can give for a lesbian-interpretive-dance major.
    Much less a job
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    there is only so much homework you can give for a lesbian-interpretive-dance major.
    Much less a job
    The diploma should have a step by step guide in color format for filing an unemployment claim on the back.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

There's a big difference between standing by yourself and setting a flag on fire in protest and setting a flag on fire and then running it into a group of people.

So when you find time to complain about people protesting, that likewise implies your life is too easy and needs to be made harder, right?
    The time investment is clearly different. What are those scarecrow like men you are always talking about?

7+ Year Old Account
    I think it actually happened. I made a thread about it and you even posted in the thread. The charges were ultimately dropped, but the point is that it happened at all and I'm rather tired of people trying to spin this like the only people who ever try to silence others are people who are left wing or that it specifically has something to do with being left wing as opposed to the random shit individuals think. There are plenty of examples of people who are undoubtedly right wing flipping the fuck out over the "wrong" kinds of speech, and that's just one of them.
    You're a liar, it never happened, the charge had nothing to do with the principle of flag burning.

I think it actually happened. I made a thread about it and you even posted in the thread. The charges were ultimately dropped, but the point is that it happened at all and I'm rather tired of people trying to spin this like the only people who ever try to silence others are people who are left wing or that it specifically has something to do with being left wing as opposed to the random shit individuals think. There are plenty of examples of people who are undoubtedly right wing flipping the fuck out over the "wrong" kinds of speech, and that's just one of them.
    Exactly. I am so sick of the right, playing the victim card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm a liar?

Well, I certainly made a thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ve-like-adults

You certainly posted in it: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post41418976

And the charge he was arrested for was flag burning under the flag desecration law:
    http://www.news-gazette.com/news/loc...e-charged.html
    Again you are either lying or ignorant, it clearly says he wasn't charged for flag burning.

You give the ability of colleges to shape and control someone's world view too much credit. Attendance at these types of events is totally voluntary in the first place, which right off the bat means they're likely going to serve more of a purpose reinforcing existing views than introducing new ideas to people, since the people most inclined to go listen to someone speak are those already favorable to the things that person represents. Frankly, I never attend them because they're an inefficient use of time. If I am interested in hearing more about the types of things they have to say, I can just as easily research it on my own and acquire the information faster than listening to them speak, not to mention have total freedom to pursue whatever aspect interests me the most. That's a result of my own motivation to seek out dissent and expand my view though, not a product of simply putting talks on campus, and rest assured there are many tools available to broaden one's perspective, of which a speaker is arguably one of the least effective. If someone wants to push the boundaries of their view point, not allowing a speaker to give a talk will do as much damage to their ability to do that as flicking a pebble at a mountain. You can take issue with them not allowing him to talk or capitulating or whatever, but the exposure of college students to new ideas is not at risk here.

I don't care about Shapiro in and of himself and have no interest in him one way or the other.
    Have you seen any of Shapiro's past events? It's definitely a combination of both sides and he typically discusses topics that are quite uncomfortable to mention at a college. He usually lets people with opposing view points speak up and ask questions as well. And while attendance is voluntary, his events usually get A LOT of attention. Not sure how you feel this is the least effective way, even by banning Shapiro, it will no doubt garner the man and his view points attention, even from those that are not interested.

Plus we've seen conservatives get shut down from speaking at campuses previously, only to have tuition paying parents protest and see the schools suddenly change their mind. So while this is not an important issue to you, it is to many others.

That is besides the point though. College is the most appropriate place to be discussing opposing views, young people have hit an age where they can hear viewpoints that are considered "controversial"..... well that's the way it was at least lol. As for shielding from opposing view points from happening or not, it's pretty evident the answer is yes lol. Is there any question that speakers who disagree with Ben Shapiro are allowed to speak at the campus? That in itself shows intellectual dishonesty on the university's part.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Again you are either lying or ignorant, it clearly says he wasn't charged for flag burning.
    If he was never charged, why didn't you mention this in the post before this instead of discussing the nature of the charge which didn't happen?

Could it be that you're just commenting before doing research for the purpose of being contrarian?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

7+ Year Old Account
    I said he was arrested. I even said in the post in which you called me a liar that the charges were dropped.
    He wasn't arrested because he was flag burning. Flag burning is not illegal, it is free expression.

7+ Year Old Account
    Stop lying.
    You're the ignoramus that thinks local law supersedes federal law when contradictory.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2016-08-03 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    You're the ignoramus that thinks local law supersedes federal law when contradictory.
    It doesn't, and he's not implying that. He's saying that was the reason the police arrested him. And it was. Because they were following a local law.

Is it your life goal to be a contrarian dumbass, even when the reality is plain to see?

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2016-08-03 at 01:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

I said he was arrested. I even said in the post in which you called me a liar that the charges were dropped.
    So he wasn't actually charged... and faced no actual punishment. Seems a moot point to bring up.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Your satire sucks. Had no idea where you were going with this.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Oh better protect the students from opinions they don't like.

Their might just commit mass suicide. What a shame it would be to lose a large segment of these coddled little annoying shits!

I can't fucking stand Shapiro or Milo Yiannopoulis (He basically was the first domino in this whole deal), but if students invite them to speak, they should be able to.

I'm sure that the school will be fair and also ban left-leaning people from speaking, right? From spouting propagandized bullshit like rape culture and the patriarchy? Or anything that the lolsworthy Black Lives Matter movement espouses?

Right?

Right?

Right?
    I'd be compelled to say let the market handle this kind of shit.

But then I remenbered that the government coddles universities from market forces by giving young kids student loans.

The point was that I'm sick of conservatives acting like they're singled out for persecution by the left, when in fact this type of behavior seems to have less to do with the general area of the political spectrum you occupy and more to do with individual preferences. To that end, I referenced a past situation in which someone who was ostensibly left wing actually had their rights violated (like, their actual rights, not this fanciful notion of free speech that applies to people outside the government) and did so in my usual flippant manner.
    If you referenced a past situation in which liberal speakers were being banned.. then that might be one thing. But that guy wasn't charged, and he can go burn more flags if he wants to do so. Its a moot point. I'm also seeking more conservative speakers dismissed or banned.. not that I like them or know who all of them are, exactly. But yeah, one flag burning guy that didn't actually have his speak blocked doesn't counter anything.

It's not a strawman when you simply don't make the argument clear.
    The argument was clear that some people apparently have too much time on their hands whilst attending University. The mindset of someone to hear about some random fuck (I don't even know who he is but I assume a Republican anti-christ) coming to talk at a school, getting so riled up that you and your tumblr bullies want to go and start shit, and having the free time to do it is perplexing. Imagine if those students had to actually study or do work for their classes. Instead of #fuckshapiro, #burnitdown, you'd see "sorry I've got to finish this paper".