Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help me pick a PSU, heat sink, and monitor!

I have most things settled, but am torn on a few parts, and would love input so I can finish this computer! My currently planned build is as follows:

CPU~ Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Cooling~ Hyper 212 Evo, OR Hyper 212X, OR CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM
    Motherboard~ Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151
    RAM~ Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000
    Graphics Card~ GTX 780 (Already own this.)
    Hard Drive~ Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM
    SSD~ Samsung Evo 850 250GB
    Power Supply~ Thermaltake TR2 600W (This is what I have now. I've had it for a few years, and it's worked fine for me, but I don't wanna risk frying anything. 600W seems like it should be enough, but some people have said it's "borderline, and I don't think this PSU is 80+ certified. Kinda want to upgrade to be safe.)
    Case~ Fractal Design Define R5 White Silent ATX Midtower
    DVD Player~ SAMSUNG Ultra-Slim Optical Drives White, M-Disc Support, MAC OS X compatible Model SE-208GB/RSWD (This is an external drive.)
    Operating System~ Windows 10 64-bit
    Monitor~ ASUS VS228H-P 21.5 inch

So, what I want help on:
    1. Is the Hyper 212X a big enough improvement over the Evo to make it worth $15 more? Or should I consider another cooling system? http://www.outletpc.com/hn6355.html?...ssor%20Coolers http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=
    I plan to probably overclock, but not heavily. A quiet fan is somewhat important to me.

2. Is the Asus VS228H-P 21.5" a good choice for a monitor of this size, or should I consider something else? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-21-...IH0JmF32x2QLEA

3. I have no idea what PSU to get. I want something 650W or better, 80+ gold or better, preferably modular. I was looking at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139119 but people are telling me that buying a refurbished PSU is unwise. Anything meeting my criteria that is close to this price?

4. I have a small concern about my RAM, as I've heard some folks say that the "fins" and the like get in the way of some heat sinks. Is this a concern with Corsair Vengeance RAM? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

Any help would be super appreciated!

Please stop creating new threads. I really hope this is the last one.

1. No. As you have an R5 case lined up basically any cooler with a 140mm fan will do. For example Thermaltake Frio Silent 14 - cheap, decent cooling, quiet.

2. You shouldnt even consider 21.5 inch FHD monitors.

3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817438048 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA2F84BD0571 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139143

4. No.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post

1. No. As you have an R5 case lined up basically any cooler with a 140mm fan will do. For example Thermaltake Frio Silent 14 - cheap, decent cooling, quiet.

2. You shouldnt even consider 21.5 inch FHD monitors.

3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817438048 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA2F84BD0571 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139143

4. No.
    Sorry about the multiple threads. I felt like individual questions should get their own threads, particularly since I stopped getting answers from the ones that I had active.

Why is a 21.5 inch monitor a bad choice to consider?

Thank you for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuuki View Post
    Sorry about the multiple threads. I felt like individual questions should get their own threads, particularly since I stopped getting answers from the ones that I had active.

Why is a 21.5 inch monitor a bad choice to consider?

Thank you for the info.
    Is that dude still suggesting people dont buy higher DPI monitors (ive had to ignore him on here). Please dont listen to a word that guy says, a 21.5" monitor is a fine choice as are 25" 1440p screens. Not only is it a good choice, its a better choice than a 24" 1080 screen imo. You would be happy with the asus you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Is that dude still suggesting people dont buy higher DPI monitors (ive had to ignore him on here). Please dont listen to a word that guy says, a 21.5" monitor is a fine choice as are 25" 1440p screens. Not only is it a good choice, its a better choice than a 24" 1080 screen imo. You would be happy with the asus you selected.
    Yeah, he said that I shouldn't even be considering a 21.5 inch FHD monitor. I'm not really sure what the debate is on this issue, on either side. I just picked the monitor featured in the build of the month. >.>;
    I don't really feel like I need an expensive monster of a monitor with a massive resolution. Something that can run 1080p for around $100 or less is fine for me. Heck, I've been pretty okay with my 17 inch Insignia honestly.

Yeah, he said that I shouldn't even be considering a 21.5 inch FHD monitor. I'm not really sure what the debate is on this issue, on either side. I just picked the monitor featured in the build of the month. >.>;
    I don't really feel like I need an expensive monster of a monitor with a massive resolution. Something that can run 1080p for around $100 or less is fine for me. Heck, I've been pretty okay with my 17 inch Insignia honestly.
    Ive had this for almost 6 years now its been a great monitor, im sure that asus is just as good:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824262011

Deleted
    the debate is simple, if both have the same resolution:
    -24" you get a physically bigger screen with slightly less sharpness/details
    -21.5" you get a physically smaller screen with slightly more sharpness/details

the only real way to see the difference between them is to go to a physical store that has multiple monitors on display. digital representations are usually kinda lacking.

my gut feeling is that most people would rather have a larger monitor, but like with many things computer related, once you experience the higher sharpness/detail you will have a hard time going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post

the only real way to see the difference between them is to go to a physical store that has multiple monitors on display. digital representations are usually kinda lacking.

my gut feeling is that most people would rather have a larger monitor, but like with many things computer related, once you experience the higher sharpness/detail you will have a hard time going back.
    I would almost definitely prefer the increased sharpness to the bigger size, plus I imagine a smaller monitor will generally be cheaper. Thank you for the info.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, the 212 Evo and 212X actually both have 120mm fans. Do you think I should go with something with a 140mm fan instead?

10+ Year Old Account

that... thats not true at all. stop and think for a moment what that would mean for 1080p 55" televisions.

yeah, doesn't make much sense any more huh. rofl

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyonlol View Post
    that... thats not true at all. stop and think for a moment what that would mean for 1080p 55" televisions.

yeah, doesn't make much sense any more huh. rofl
    it means 40 ppi for the 55" tv, compared to 92 for 24" and 102 for 21.5"

go sit 1-2 feet from your tv and tell me how sharp that text is.

Hey, the 212 Evo and 212X actually both have 120mm fans. Do you think I should go with something with a 140mm fan instead?
    If you want cheap or you want quiet?
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

If you want cheap or you want quiet?
    I want quiet, and am okay spending $10-15 more for quiet if I need to. The Thermaltake Frio Silent 14 looks like it's about $12 more than the 212 Evo. If it's a quieter fan with better cooling, I think I'd be better off with that (assuming the larger size won't interfere with my RAM on my motherboard?)

I want quiet, and am okay spending $10-15 more for quiet if I need to. The Thermaltake Frio Silent 14 looks like it's about $12 more than the 212 Evo. If it's a quieter fan with better cooling, I think I'd be better off with that (assuming the larger size won't interfere with my RAM on my motherboard?)
    It's about the same for performance actually. If you want quiet AND performance the choice is quite simple: Noctua D14 (or D15 with fan replacement) or Phanteks TC14PE.

10+ Year Old Account
    it means 40 ppi for the 55" tv, compared to 92 for 24" and 102 for 21.5"

go sit 1-2 feet from your tv and tell me how sharp that text is.

........../facepalm

I guess OP should just buy a 1080p apple watch with that logic. Much sharpness. Such clarity. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonlol View Post
    ........../facepalm

I guess OP should just buy a 1080p apple watch with that logic. Much sharpness. Such clarity. Wow.
    Are you just trying to be stupid?

When you spread an equal amount of pixels over a bigger area, the pixels will be bigger and the image will be less sharp because of it. The only reason you don't notice this with big televisions is because you sit way further away from those compared to a pc screen.

There is a clearly visible difference in clarity and sharpness between 22-24-27" screens with a 1080p resolution, your attempt at ridiculing others with your comment just makes yourself look dumb and uninformed.
    Last edited by Fenryn; 2016-08-05 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenryn View Post
    Are you just trying to be stupid?

When you spread an equal amount of pixels over a bigger area, the pixels will be bigger and the image will be less sharp because of it. The only reason you don't notice this with big televisions is because you sit way further away from those compared to a pc screen.

There is a clearly visible difference in clarity and sharpness between 22-24-27" screens with a 1080p resolution, your attempt at ridiculing others with your comment just makes yourself look dumb and uninformed.
    The difference the DPI increase makes is so small, no normal user can see it (and those who say that they can are just lying to themselves to the point of believing their own lies) the biggest difference comes from higher quality panels that are used to build the monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    The difference the DPI increase makes is so small, no normal user can see it (and those who say that they can are just lying to themselves to the point of believing their own lies) the biggest difference comes from higher quality panels that are used to build the monitor.
    I can see the difference in sharpness, I'm sure many people can, it's not really anything special to be able to notice the difference. I find it a bit shortsighted of you to call everyone that claims to see a difference a liar, have you ever directly compared side-by-side yourself? Even if you have and you didnt see a difference, that doesn't mean others won't be able to.

Panel quality would mostly determine the colours and contrast of the screen, while a heavy matte coating can sometimes also blur the image a bit but this irrelevant to my point.

It's about the same for performance actually. If you want quiet AND performance the choice is quite simple: Noctua D14 (or D15 with fan replacement) or Phanteks TC14PE.
    Right, but I'm also concerned about money, and spending twice as much on a Noctua is not where I want to be. :P
    I just want to know which is quieter between the 212 Evo and the Thermaltake Frio Silent 14.

Also, there seems to be a pretty big difference in amperage between a couple of the PSUs you suggested. Is that something I should be concerned about...?
    +3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V@54A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3A for the Corsair, and +3.3V@20A, +5V@20A, +12V@54A, +5VSB@2.5A, -12V@0.3A for the EVGA.

Also, thank you for the input about monitors everyone, but I really have no problem with a smaller screen, as I'm trying to pinch pennies, so I'm pretty decided on that now.

Right, but I'm also concerned about money, and spending twice as much on a Noctua is not where I want to be. :P
    I just want to know which is quieter between the 212 Evo and the Thermaltake Frio Silent 14.

Also, there seems to be a pretty big difference in amperage between a couple of the PSUs you suggested. Is that something I should be concerned about...?
    +3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V@54A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3A for the Corsair, and +3.3V@20A, +5V@20A, +12V@54A, +5VSB@2.5A, -12V@0.3A for the EVGA.

Also, thank you for the input about monitors everyone, but I really have no problem with a smaller screen, as I'm trying to pinch pennies, so I'm pretty decided on that now.
    The only one that really matters these days is the amps on the 12V, any quality power supply will have most amps focused on this both the Corsair and EVGA you described have so aswell. All the big power users like the CPU and GPU draw their power from the 12V line, so don't worry about all the different numbers they are irrelevant.

No. Note that those loads are with 100% load on one rail and 0% load on all others, all of them are never reached.