Deleted

Want to upgrade 7850 CF

Hey guys, I was looking to replace my current graphics cards. I have the ATI Radeon 7850HD Crossfire cards. However, I'm having so many issues with driver crashes, games crashing, Radeon software crashing, etc. that I just want to get something else so I don't have to deal with this shit. I've already tried a lot of stuff that was recommended to me, but to no avail. Ideally, I would like an NVidia card, since I never had issues with them, and both the ATI cards I had only caused issues (First set of cards was overheating all the time and had to be replaced and these current ones keep crashing all the time.)

Speccy summary:

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz 51 °C
    Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
    RAM
    8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 824MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 (LGA1155) 28 °C
    Graphics
    P246H (1920x1080@60Hz)
    2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc) 50 °C
    2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc) 47 °C
    CrossFire Disabled
    Storage
    238GB TOSHIBA THNSNH256GBST (SSD) 35 °C
    1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZRX-00D8PB0 (SATA) 40 °C
    Optical Drives
    No optical disk drives detected
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

My price range is up to €400. I couldn't find good comparisons with the 7850 crossfire, so I'd like your help with this. I'm looking for something with equal or better performance than the 7850 crossfire. A slight downgrade is also fine. Having one card would be better imo. Upgrade potential with sli is good, but not something that is a must.

A 1060 is faster than two 7850's by quite a bit, thats the card id get.

What are you using your rig for? Your processor is starting to show age. On the videocard definetely a GTX 1070 with that budget. You also have an SLI upgrade option with that later.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Sandy Bridge is still fine for 90% of tasks, including gaming. If it isn't an unlocked chip, then the low base clock speed will hurt framerates in WoW a bit, but itll still be plenty playable, just not a solid 60fps.

Anything is an upgrade from those ancient 7850s, honestly, but if you can afford it, i'd go with a GTX 1070. its substantially more future-proof (as far as that goes) than the 1060 and can be SLI'd later, though i rarely consider that a real upgrade path given the number of games that just dont support SLI at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    What are you using your rig for? Your processor is starting to show age. On the videocard definetely a GTX 1070 with that budget. You also have an SLI upgrade option with that later.
    Mainly gaming. My current cards crash so much that they are holding me back from buying new games. I tried out The Witcher 2 and it kept crashing. Most of my time spent gaming is on League which isn't very demanding on the graphics card, but I do want to play games like The Witcher, Call of Duty, etc. a couple of times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    A 1060 is faster than two 7850's by quite a bit, thats the card id get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Sandy Bridge is still fine for 90% of tasks, including gaming. If it isn't an unlocked chip, then the low base clock speed will hurt framerates in WoW a bit, but itll still be plenty playable, just not a solid 60fps.

Anything is an upgrade from those ancient 7850s, honestly, but if you can afford it, i'd go with a GTX 1070. its substantially more future-proof (as far as that goes) than the 1060 and can be SLI'd later, though i rarely consider that a real upgrade path given the number of games that just dont support SLI at all.
    If by unlocked you mean if I'm able to OC the CPU, I can't (at least not by any significant amount). I don't really have CPU issues with anything currently so it should be fine for now.

I also looked into the availability of the 1070 in the Netherlands and it's quite a bit more expensive than in the US. It costs more than 500€ in most places and a bit out of my price range currently. If you guys could suggest a few alternatives within the price range that would be awesome. I'll check out the availability and prices over here.
    Last edited by mmoc91ede30817; 2016-08-06 at 03:45 AM.

.. you're part of the EU, aren't you? (i know some countries arent, just not sure which ones).

If so, you can order from any country in the EU, at whatever their prices are, (plus possible shipping) and not have to worry about additional import fees. Thats EU law, one of the major b enefits to being in the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by zaheer12a View Post
    If by unlocked you mean if I'm able to OC the CPU, I can't (at least not by any significant amount). I don't really have CPU issues with anything currently so it should be fine for now.

I also looked into the availability of the 1070 in the Netherlands and it's quite a bit more expensive than in the US. It costs more than 500€ in most places and a bit out of my price range currently. If you guys could suggest a few alternatives within the price range that would be awesome. I'll check out the availability and prices over here.
    Nothing other than GTX 1060. Note that is doesnt support SLI. I really suggest saving for a GTX 1070 if you can.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    Alright, thanks! I'll have to wait another month before I'm able to buy it, but it seems worth it.

I also found that there are different version of the card out there. There is a comparison on this website: http://thepcenthusiast.com/geforce-g...-msi-gigabyte/
    Which one would you recommend? Aside from the clock settings that the card comes with, it seems that some versions have one fan, while others have two. There is also a founders edition, but I'm not sure what's different about it. Could use some advice on that

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey!

First of all, it is certainly not the worst time to upgrade from the 7850 CF. However, since I have a very comparable setup and experience zero issues, I was wondering whether you have already ruled out any software issues. A clean reinstallation of the Crimson software would be a good start. Apart from that, the temperatures you list appear to be quite high for idle (~50°C). Is your case properly ventilated? Maybe try running something with the case open just to check...
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.3 GHz | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | Corsair XMS3 PC-12800 8gb | MSI Radeon R7850 Twin Frozr III x2 Crossfire | Crucial M4 128gb | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb | BeQuiet! Straight Power E9 580W modular | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 evo | Fractal Design Arc Midi

Quote Originally Posted by zaheer12a View Post
    Alright, thanks! I'll have to wait another month before I'm able to buy it, but it seems worth it.

I also found that there are different version of the card out there. There is a comparison on this website: http://thepcenthusiast.com/geforce-g...-msi-gigabyte/
    Which one would you recommend? Aside from the clock settings that the card comes with, it seems that some versions have one fan, while others have two. There is also a founders edition, but I'm not sure what's different about it. Could use some advice on that
    There are no one fan designs for the GTX 1070 (except for Founders Edition) to my knowledge, though there are some for GTX 1060. It's make it simple for you: avoid single fan and Founders Edition, for the manufacturers stick with EVGA, Palit, Gainward, Zotac, Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS. If you're looking to OC your GPU make sure to get a design with at least 8+6 pin additional power.