Deleted

The best gaming monitor for mmo?

A friend of mine asks if there are specific gaming monitors that are better for MMO than others? I don't think there are, just for fast-paced FPS games, you would get a 144Hz monitor, but for MMO games, I'm not so sure. I think it needs either FreeSync or G-SYNC, since it eliminates screen tearing and that happens at all refresh rates.

I've looked here: best gaming monitor and I believe the AOC G2460PF will do the job for a budget gaming monitor. What do you think is the top gaming monitor for this purpose?
    Last edited by mmoc78cb38b846; 2016-08-12 at 06:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please define "best". "Best" in which aspect?

The word "best" by itself is too vague because I don't know what you consider as best. Some of the "gaming monitors" that people like to recommend as good ones can be pretty damn shitty if taking into consideration other aspects.

So what's best for you? Giving you better performance? Giving you a better gaming experience? Giving you less headache after hours of playing? Being cheaper?

Depends on what you're looking for and what's your hardware. 144Hz monitors are indeed pointless for MMO games. Also, most 144Hz monitors even without Freesync/G-Sync have build-in anti-tearing features, Freesync/G-Sync is just a standard for them that works directly with a videocard, getting you best results.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    No 144Hz monitor has an onboard anti-tearing feature. Only adaptive sync monitors do due to the nature of it. Eizo, BenQ, and LG high Hz gaming monitors have low motion blur implementation, but no anti-tearing function. You're less likely to notice screen tearing on high Hz due to well, high Hz, but it's still there in all technicality.

It very much so depends on what you want from the monitor as the people above have stated. The word "Best" is defined by how much you're willing to spend tho you can go from 100$ to 1100$. But heres a solid low price point monitor "Asus VS228H-P 21.5-Inch" if you need something else we'll also need more info ie what your friends pc is like and what your friend is willing to spend.

Deleted
    Totally agree that you don't need a 144 Hz monitor with a low latency or response time - that's just a waste of money if you're playing MMO games. In my opion, you'd be better of choosing a monitor with better color reproduction and image quality so I wouldn't recommend a TN-panel.

FreeSync (or Gysnc, but those monitors are quite expensive) is pretty awesome and can make a major difference in reducing screen tearing. I wouldn't say it's essential for MMO's though, as MMO games are generally not that intensive and vsync will do just fine. Personally I'm using a 1440p IPS display by Acer, great image quality and a sharper picture than Full HD. Not tailored for gaming but my games look great on it. I usually play MOBA's so I prefer the graphical eyecandy over quickness.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a asus pg279q, it's pretty perfect in my eyes :S 1440p 27" gsync ips 165hz, tweaked low response, no bleed, amazing colours, thin besil.

Can't think of anything else i would want in a monitor

The best budget gaming monitor is the Acer Nitro VG240Y. This is a bargainous monitor from Acer, but don’t think that makes it unsuitable for gaming. You’re getting a 1080p 24-inch display with a top-class 1ms response time, and its 75Hz refresh rate offers an increase of 25% over a standard 60Hz panel. IPS technology means you’ll get great viewing angles and the best colour reproduction available, which is pretty impressive at this price – not to mention AMD FreeSync support. Despite its low price tag, there’s no compromise on design, with a near bezel-less edge-to-edge screen and a swanky red and black stand – which can be adjusted for tilt for improved ergonomics. Despite its low price tag, there’s no compromise on design, with a near bezel-less edge-to-edge screen and a swanky red and black stand – which can be adjusted for tilt for improved ergonomics.

15+ Year Old Account
    An ultrawide for the immersion.
    Haven't tried WoW on my current monitor yet, had a 34" before and larger than that I would not recommend.

Last edited by Bakis; 2022-09-13 at 05:06 AM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Holy thread necro batman.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoc78cb38b846 View Post
    A friend of mine asks if there are specific gaming monitors that are better for MMO than others? I don't think there are, just for fast-paced FPS games, you would get a 144Hz monitor, but for MMO games, I'm not so sure. I think it needs either FreeSync or G-SYNC, since it eliminates screen tearing and that happens at all refresh rates.

I've looked here: best gaming monitor and I believe the AOC G2460PF will do the job for a budget gaming monitor. What do you think is the top gaming monitor for this purpose?
    The best monitor for an MMO is the one that offers the best picture quality at your target resolution. MMOs are not fast paces games, and do not require high refresh rates. Anything 60hz+ is perfectly serviceable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hotmail View Post
    Holy thread necro batman.
    oh dang, I didn't even notice.