Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    No one should be upset about this, I prefer dogs and cats to human roommates does that make me anti human? No that makes me smart.

Wonder how up in arms MMO-C would be if the roles were reversed.
    Whaleshark /spits on your science.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    That's not really true and depends wholly on where you live. If you're charging someone rent, or partial rent to live in the same place as you you have to follow applicable rental laws. EX: this is illegal in California.
    It's kind of dumb though, people should be able to pick who they live with.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    It's kind of dumb though, people should be able to pick who they live with.
    Sure, but they should also pretty obviously be allowed to pick who lives in a house they own also, but that's illegal. It's right there, enshrined in the Constitution right next to whatever other rules that Anthony Kennedy and his peers decide to make up on the fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i bet the sort of person advertising for non-white only room mates would be the sort of person to cry on twitter if soemone put an ad up saying looking for roommates, white people only!
    I expect they would be the sort of person to cry if a cartoon swimming pool poster didn't have enough coloured people in it, I doubt it takes much to set her off.

I see nothing wrong with this as long as all races /colors can do this.

All these students should be expelled. This is what universities have come to in America? Racialized little ghettos where little shit snowflakes need "safe spaces" from imagined injustices "white people" did to them? btw I'll never get over Mexican students acting like they're victims of white violence when their ancestors exterminated the indigenous populations and were even more racist against blacks than the anglo-europeans.

This is fucking dystopian. You couldn't imagine a more insane result.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Irefusetodie View Post
    Wonder how up in arms MMO-C would be if the roles were reversed.
    "Looking for roommate. Only whites need apply. Need to preserve white European identity because campus is only ~50% white."

That'd go over great, I imagine.

10+ Year Old Account
    As racist as it is, let them. Would it be any different if it was 3 woman that wanted another women to join them?

My problem is what one of the Presidents of the College's said in response to this.

While Pitzer is a community of individuals passionately engaged in establishing intracultural safe spaces for marginalized groups, the Facebook post and several subsequent comments are inconsistent with our Mission and values. …

This is but another example to us that social media is not an effective platform to engage in complex dialog on seemingly intractable critical issues that have varied histories and contested understandings. They create more heat than light and invite extreme viewpoints that intentionally obfuscate the nuanced context that surrounds these issues. Pitzer offers its new 2-course Intercultural Understanding requirement and dedicates new curricular and extra curricular programming to address difficult issues of racism, diversity, community discourse and national and international political conflict.

How much school time does it take to understand this stuff? And how is social media not an effective platform? Because people on it call you out on your bullshit? Because you aren't in a position of authority and the people on it aren't under your thumb?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Sure, but they should also pretty obviously be allowed to pick who lives in a house they own also, but that's illegal. It's right there, enshrined in the Constitution right next to whatever other rules that Anthony Kennedy and his peers decide to make up on the fly.
    Someone doesn't understand how Constitutional law works.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I expect they would be the sort of person to cry if a cartoon swimming pool poster didn't have enough coloured people in it, I doubt it takes much to set her off.
    this sounds oddly familiar, did this actually happen at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    that should be your right, to associate with only the type of people you want to associate with.

it's racist, but i definitely believe everyone should have the right to be as hateful and racist as they want, as long as they are not allowed to effect politics in any way.
    Denying people access to housing, business, etc. does effect their political power. That's largely the point.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Denying people access to housing, business, etc. does effect their political power. That's largely the point.
    not really. it's this person's home, it should be their right to have in it who they want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    this sounds oddly familiar, did this actually happen at some point?
    Some people complained about a cartoon safety poster showing only ethnic minorities misbehaving, though apparently brown hair is an ethnic minority to some people.

Neckbeards commonly advertise for asian female roommates. This seems no different.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    I'm actually completely fine with people self-segregating in private spaces, as long as the people doing it don't fucking cry if someone else puts up an ad stating "Seeking room-mate, non-whites need not apply". Both of them are probably racist since there's no "good" reason they could possibly provide for doing it, but I do believe in having the freedom to choose who you live with. I wouldn't be so blatant about it, but as an atheist I would definitely try to filter out devout Christians and Muslims if I was seeking a roommate.

The post about how they are "fighting to exist" and "white people don't understand the struggle" is fucking bollocks though. Just come out and say it: you hate white people and you don't want to live with them. It's OK. Just be honest so people know what they're really dealing with.
    Pretty much this... People's private spheres are their own matter.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    not really. it's this person's home, it should be their right to have in it who they want.
    Right, and that's the identical justification used to exclude minorities from housing for over a hundred years, as part of Jim Crow laws that were intended to dampen the power of those minorities.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Pretty much this... People's private spheres are their own matter.
    No, they aren't. When you are offering to rent or sell to someone, you are engaging in commerce, which is part of the public sphere by definition.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Some people complained about a cartoon safety poster showing only ethnic minorities misbehaving, though apparently brown hair is an ethnic minority to some people.
    yes thats the one that i was thinking of!

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    As racist as it is, let them. Would it be any different if it was 3 woman that wanted another women to join them?

My problem is what one of the Presidents of the College's said in response to this.

How much school time does it take to understand this stuff? And how is social media not an effective platform? Because people on it call you out on your bullshit? Because you aren't in a position of authority and the people on it aren't under your thumb?
    Social media lends itself to favoring outrage culture over substantive discussion. You can't NOT realize this.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I'm not really sure "worked" is really the word I'd use here...
    Well ending it sure as fuck hasn't worked considering white people there live in fucking guarded fortresses to stay safe now.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Right, and that's the identical justification used to exclude minorities from housing for over a hundred years, as part of Jim Crow laws that were intended to dampen the power of those minorities.
    that's different. that's landlords and apartment building owners, this is a private citizen.