Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    http://wow.prodigalstranger.dk/on-le...part-whatever/

Just tossing that one in. Thank you, Blizzard. That settles the argument for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriandr Zhora View Post

Just tossing that one in. Thank you, Blizzard. That settles the argument for me.
    Or maybe the Ebon Blade gives him a week off every month to do that, in exchange of 25% of the revenue!

They want those Darkmoon tickets so badly.

It makes sense to me.
    Originally the four horsemen were supposed to be riding on undead Darkmoon dancing bears, yet they never accumulated enough tickets to get them. So they went with horses instead.

So it looks like everyone missed one simple notion.

That you can be both part of the Ebon Blade and your respective faction.

BOOM. What a fucking novel thought. Who ever thought someone could be apart of more than one organization at a time?

It's not like Koltira or Thassarian really "left" the Ebon Blade. They, and other DKs, were allowed to fight with their old factions, but push comes to shove and they're reigned back into the Ebon Blade as we see in Legion.

Deleted
    I think you missed the point.

The question raised was not whether DKs can be members of the Ebon Blade -and- a faction. It was whether they can be -not- members of the Ebon Blade.

Deleted
    I think you missed the point.

The question raised was not whether DKs can be members of the Ebon Blade -and- a faction. It was whether they can be -not- members of the Ebon Blade.
    I think about it more in the sense of that they can do whatever they want away from the Ebon Blade, but are obliged to answer the call when invited.

I don't remember any directives in-game where I was forced to take orders or do anything for the Ebon Blade. I suppose a DK without access to Acheron would be at a disadvantage, so there is that. But aside from needing a rune forge... I mean, if you couldn't find another rune forge somewhere, you could muddle through with the same enchants everyone else uses, no?

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Deleted
    Indeed. Why would they be obliged to answer anythinng? What's this socalled Deathlord going to do, leave angry messages on their answering ghoul?

Of course, my DK left the Ebon Blade as soon as she was released from the LK control, her only allegiance is to her king Varian (Anduin now) and her kingdom, she would gladly die for them, and she denies any right to the Ebon Blade to command anyone.

Ebon Blade has crossed the red line in it's campaign storyline, and my DK wouldn't have any hesitation to kill all of them for their crimes.

Deleted
    The way the new lich king is shaping up to be i expect him to absorb the ebon blade and hunt down all renegades next.

Deleted
    Well, if the hunting down of renegades leads to interesting RP (I am on a roleplaying server), I'm fine with that.

As far as a lot of paladins on Argent Dawn EU are concerned, they already have declared the death knights traitors. That's actually how this whole debate started: Those of us who also disagree with this turn in Blizzard's writing felt that the only sane thing our characters could do was leave the order -- and that in turn got a lot of self proclaimed "Roleplaying police" up in arms, claiming that we can't and we must suffer consequences for the actions of the Ebon Blade even if we don't feel any affiliation at all.

</curious sidenote>
    I don't know anything about lore but how could someone that has been killed then having no say in what happens to them raised from the dead and forced to fight be a traitor?
    The Mundane and The Magic
    Yeah, now, well, the thing about the old days: they the old days. -Slim Charles

Deleted
    Seems pretty obvious that they can leave with no apparent consequences. Thassarian and Koltira proved it, they left the Ebon Blade and joined their respective factions. There is no proof they they didn't suffer any consequences, but these are facts - they left and they weren't killed. They weren't the only ones, either, as we get death knight followers in WoD garrison.

So yeah, there is no reason to believe that they would never leave. It's my understanding that Ebon Blade is just a place where they all know they can belong, but some just try to get their lost lives back. They would probably be welcomed back if they found out they can't.

Lastly, there's the player DK character. They join their respective faction and they are still free to come to Acherus and leave at will. I don't think this is just for gameplay purposes, since the only thing DKs ever go there for is runeforging - and I'm not even sure if that's still the case.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    During WoD the Alliance side player commander gets Delvin the dwarf DK as an early follower, this guy is -not- tied to the Ebon Blade, and a number of other DK's are not as you can recruit them throughout WoD.
    Because there are plenty of Death Knights who were NEVER part of the Ebon Blade. There were other Orders of DKs under the Lich King. In fact, the Ebon blade was only one (smallish) Order of DKs under the LK.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ra View Post
    That was in WoD, when the Ebon Blade was still more or less inactive and it's members did what they wanted.

Like I said, there is another example in the Stormheim opening Quest on Alliance, the Skyfire Canons are frozen by a Forsaken Death Knights. That's after the Class Order Operations started, so at this point he can't have been a Member of the Ebon Blade, as he fought for the Forsaken.
    He might never have been part of the Ebon Blade at all. Most Deathknights werent. But, see below as to why this isn't necessarily true anyway. He could still be a member of the Ebon Blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Kalec View Post
    So much this. I actually brought this up yesterday in another topic!

On the topic of death knights, I think the Ebon Blade is more like a sub faction to them at this point than their main allegiance, kind of how playable mages of both factions can join the Kirin Tor.
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieEater View Post
    Pretty much this. It's been a while since I've done the DK starter quests, but I thought they made it pretty clear player-controlled DKs are sent out to rejoin their original factions and that they're not directly part of the Ebon Blade any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ra View Post
    There is a Forsaken Death Knight in the opening Quest for Stormheim on Alliance Side. If Death Knights weren't allowed to leave the Ebon Blade, he wouldn't be there.
    In relation to all of the above -

You can be part of a Knighthood AND something else. You were never thrown out of/removed/kicked out of the Ebon Blade. Koltira and Tharassian fought for the Alliance and Horde, but they were still full members of the Ebon Blade. It was not uncommon in history for members of the same knightly order to be on opposite sides of a war, at all, and even fight and kill each other. To do otherwise would have been dishonorable. It was also not uncommon for a Knight to be part of SEVERAL Orders at the same time.

Nothing says that any Ebon Blade member was ever removed for going back to their faction. You can be part of a Knightly Order that is independent (Knights Templar are a good historical example) of any other authority - but YOU still answer to your King/Prince/Duke/sovereign. That's actually one of the reasons the Templar were persecuted by the Kings of France (and then by the other leaders in Europe - they were becoming more powerful than Kings) and wiped out.

Uhh.. its equally likely (honestly MORE likely) that this guy was simply never part of the Ebon Blade. Where are people getting the idea that the Ebon Blade were the totality of Death Knights that served Arthas? They weren't. They were just one Order. We fight others in Icecrown and other zones all the time.

Indeed. Why would they be obliged to answer anythinng? What's this socalled Deathlord going to do, leave angry messages on their answering ghoul?
    Use the power given by Bolvar to force them, actually. He says straight up that if you die, he's going to outright take over the Ebon Blade and there is absolutely nothing you or they can do to stop him.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
    Ebon Blade has crossed the red line in it's campaign storyline, and my DK wouldn't have any hesitation to kill all of them for their crimes.
    This should be rich. What crimes are those, exactly?

DKs have already left the ebon blade in the past and declared their loyalties to other groups/people, presumably higher than those towards ebon blade.

Actually the whole thing about ebon blade is the "free will" part, that they are death knights who regained their free will.

It would be pretty ironic if suddenly ebon blade started behaving like the lich king and forbidding free will and choices xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure the Ebon Blade is only there as a home for those who does not feel welcomed back to their factions. So, yes, would make sense that they could.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

You believe that your will is your own, but you will always be His instrument....

5+ Year Old Account
    No, it's like Hotel California
    Fuck you, Give me Money- Bli$$ard

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    This should be rich. What crimes are those, exactly?
    - Attacking Light's Hope Chapel.
    - The murder of several Paladins of the Silver Hand (who were our allies).
    - Assaulting a Bronze Dragon in neutral territory.
    - The murder of members of the Red Dragonflight.

Out of these, Attacking Light's Hope Chapel is the only crime with any sort of justification (with the proviso of minimizing casualties). The others are immensely foolish decisions with ramifications far exceeding any potential payoff.

I've always found it jarring that my DK was essentially forced (in terms of progressing with the story) into making moral decisions I never would have made myself. I was very tempted to abandon the mount quest chain because of this.
    Last edited by EbonBehelit-; 2018-09-27 at 05:01 AM.
    "Why has government been instituted at all? Because the passions of men will not conform to the dictates of reason and justice, without constraint." - Alexander Hamilton

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EbonBehelit- View Post
    I've always found it jarring that my DK was essentially forced (in terms of progressing with the story) into making moral decisions I never would have made myself. I was very tempted to abandon the mount quest chain because of this.
    I've always found it disappointing that Alliance DKs don't have world quests to wet their blades on the blood of Horde civilians to push this war effort forward. I *guess* it's okay the other classes don't get to do that, even though the Horde gets to enjoy the majority genocide of another player race and it's continuation as part of their questing experience, but at the very least Death Knights should be all for spreading disease, pestilence, terror and doom across the Horde civilian populace.
    Fuck you, Give me Money- Bli$$ard