Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Consensus on WW Monk for PvE?

I am not very familiar with WW monks in general. However, I may be interested in maining them for Legion PvE. What is the consensus on the DPS output ww monk put out compared to the other classes? Not looking for "play the class you like" or "numbers don't matter/can't know" arguments. I just want a general idea where they are based on pre-patch and beta data. I don't need specific numbers.

7+ Year Old Account
    The beta data is basically useless in my opinion because so much has and will continue to change, but WW is a pretty good and flexible spec. If I were to guess based on my prepatch experience, I'd expect their AoE to be incredibly good and their single target to be in a pretty good place but not huge top tier. Rogues are doing a lot more damage than us on live right now, as are Death Knights and Feral (I think), and I expect that trend to continue. I don't expect Monk to surpass something like Mages ever.

I think WW will be a safe bet, but I would recommend trying it out since you aren't familiar with it. It has a unique playstyle and it brings a lot of utility that you will be expected to capitalize on - if you don't like the spec, you aren't going to have a fun time period. I know that isn't an answer you wanted, but it's totally true. WW will not be the end all top dps, but it's undergone a lot of good changes imo and if you like playing it, you should be able to push it far in PvE. My two cents.

Deleted
    I think WW is actually pretty damn strong, I pwn the shiet out of my teammates when it comes to dps whether it is on beta or on live (Not playing in some ultra - nooby heroic guild, regular mythic raid). I think that monk is a safe bet and if you master it (mostly the timing) you will get even better results than the numerically top specs

Deleted
    From what I've read so far WW monks seem to be in really good place, although that doesnt mean anything. One thing we have learned from WOD-release I guess

forgive me , if I slide a bit off topic...
    My guild asked my to reroll on my shadow priest for legion, since we have a bit to much melees on the bank right now, when it come to mythic setups.

I really enjoy both playstyles alot right now, why it`s a really hard decision. In my opinion Shadow and WW are the most fun DD-playstyles in the game for legion.
    When it comes to aoe, WW seem to be way ahead, but I´m not sure how the majority of the bossfights look right now...

Is here anybody with enough beta experience to help me on the pure raid-performance/quality of life-part by comparison?
    I know, those questions are always stupid, cause "no one can help you to pick your main"... but maybe I´m lucky enough to find someone who has some experience with both.

Agree with above's that it appears to be in a really good place. Very fun, and a nice kit for ST and AoE.

With one exception, for the limited melee slots available, they wear leather.

Because they don't bring any big raid CD or a nifty trick like cloak, I've found it more than hard to find a mythic guild (on my server) looking for a WW. I would also presume this is going to be pretty typical at this moment. Between druids (excellent heals, also prob want atleast 1boom), demon hunters, Monk tank/heals, and rogues there is just more room for a plate/mail melee dps in most serious progression raid comps.

Now I'm sure there's some mythic guilds out there running 1 rogue, 1 dh, 1 resto druid or some variation that has plenty of room for more leather. But I don't think that's going to be the norm at all.
    Last edited by Tykus; 2016-08-17 at 12:16 PM.

I'm planning on maining WW monk for this expansion. I've always loved monk, but their "revamp" has made them incredibly fun and intuitive to play.

They have great cleave/aoe and mobility and decent ST. The only issue is that you will have trouble finding a raid spot, as they provide almost no utility to the raid outside of their passive speed increase, but it's only 10%, and that isn't that useful when shamans have their speed increase and druids have stampeding roar. If you can get your hands on the legendary that increases it to 25%, then that would be a huge boon to raids, but outside of that, they aren't really in demand unfortunately.

Numbers-wise, in good shape/middle of the pack as far as melee DPS goes, stronger on the AOE/cleave side of things than single target. I'm planning to main WW for raiding and hope to also do a lot of mythic+ 5mans with it though I might end up splitting my time between dps/tanking/heals on those as needed.

Meta-wise, being a leather wearing melee DPS is not the most desirable spot to be in right now and the addition of Demon Hunters has made it an even tougher sell. My raid was OK with me switching to WW Monk for Legion but I think it was more a case of "well, we might as well have 1 of everything" than any specific benefit/utility I'm going to bring to the raid.

I think it's a cool, fun and versatile class but I consider myself lucky to have an established raid group to play with because I think it would be an uphill battle trying to get into a new group as a WW monk at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by parkerlewis View Post
    Numbers-wise, in good shape/middle of the pack as far as melee DPS goes, stronger on the AOE/cleave side of things than single target. I'm planning to main WW for raiding and hope to also do a lot of mythic+ 5mans with it though I might end up splitting my time between dps/tanking/heals on those as needed.

Meta-wise, being a leather wearing melee DPS is not the most desirable spot to be in right now and the addition of Demon Hunters has made it an even tougher sell. My raid was OK with me switching to WW Monk for Legion but I think it was more a case of "well, we might as well have 1 of everything" than any specific benefit/utility I'm going to bring to the raid.

I think it's a cool, fun and versatile class but I consider myself lucky to have an established raid group to play with because I think it would be an uphill battle trying to get into a new group as a WW monk at this point.
    You should lol

Most wont even consider it since their rosters are close to full, and they are looking for a few niche classes, and WW monk isn't one of em!

unless you are in like a top 50 guild there is no reason you won't be contributing dps wise. but beyond that it's also important to understand that since it's only 1 spec, your output is limited by your talents compared to pure dps classes than can swap spec. there is so much baked in cleave in the ww toolkit as well as their talents that you will never be top in a single target encounter. you will do big dick AoE though

Deleted
    Keep in mind that, as a WW you not only battle with rogues and warriors but now also with demon hunter for the melee spots in your raid. Just sayin

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alver View Post
    Keep in mind that, as a WW you not only battle with rogues and warriors but now also with demon hunter for the melee spots in your raid. Just sayin
    And DKs and Enhancement shaman and druids and paladins and Survival Hunters. Not sure if you're trying to actually say something, or just state the obvious.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

10+ Year Old Account
    Problem with WWs and melee DPS in general is that there are just too many melee DPS classes out there so competition for raid spots is a real thing for them, especially on mythic guilds.

WWs right now don't bring a lot of utility. I hear they'll eventually give melees 25% perma run speed which may warrant them a spot, but they'll need to snag a Legendary before that can happen.

So in order to warrant a raid spot for them right now, they'll need to do really good DPS. Otherwise, I'd want a melee that can provide some utility or better survival for the raid. ei Enh gives a lot of utility on top of DPS or a Rogue which has abilities like CloS that can cheese a lot of mythic boss abilities making them a great class to have at least 1 of in the raid.

If you're in a casual guild, then you shouldn't really worry about it, but if you're planning to do high end raiding, WWs might not be for you.
    Last edited by Saverem; 2016-08-18 at 09:41 PM.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    You will see several WW in high level raiding. There isn't anything about WW to merit not bringing one. They are strong cleave and AOE dps and, yes with legendaries, bring the best raid utility of any legendaries though the movement speed and ToK legendaries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Babylonius View Post
    You will see several WW in high level raiding. There isn't anything about WW to merit not bringing one. They are strong cleave and AOE dps and, yes with legendaries, bring the best raid utility of any legendaries though the movement speed and ToK legendaries.
    This is assuming the legendary item in question don't get nerfed. Blizz has a long streak of nerfing equipment (weapon/trinket buffs/procs, etc)buffs they find too strong. If a guild's main reason to bring a WW is based on a single Legendary item buff, then they'll probably have to reassess it.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

7+ Year Old Account
    My 2 cents: Going from monk alt to monk main, gearing up through invasions and mythic 5s; having a dps spec that will be my OS (pref heals) still be a contender for top 3-5 dps whenever I use it feels good. It's a nice time to go full monk, as overall they are set-up pretty good going forward.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    This is assuming the legendary item in question don't get nerfed. Blizz has a long streak of nerfing equipment (weapon/trinket buffs/procs, etc)buffs they find too strong. If a guild's main reason to bring a WW is based on a single Legendary item buff, then they'll probably have to reassess it.
    I think the movement speed legendary would be an exception since it benefits everyone, not just the user. I could see the ToK legendary getting nerfed a little, but using it to its full potential comes with considerable risk, so it may be fine.

Deleted
    Think most are overestimating how much the other melee classes utility bring...

Quote Originally Posted by rizso1985 View Post
    Yes, not to mention that blizzard isn't readily designing fights where you are going to need 12 warriors for rallying cry. People always blow this utility thing out of proportion every tier/expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by rizso1985 View Post
    It's not really just utility, that's just a factor. Why bring a WW if a rogue can do the job(s) better? And if you've got plenty of leather wearers already, why pick a monk over a non leather melee? They aren't bad... they just fit weirdly?

Sorta like rogue>non leather>WWmonk , if the raid is already set, and just needs to fill last slots, WW monk will fit easily.

does the legendary ring actually give everyone a 25% speed buff because I would've assumed it only applied to the monk and the rest receive 10% still.