Poll: Does Baylor deserve the NCAA death penalty?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    People who get scholarships to college for being able to throw a ball is beyond welfare, and sports are an absolute joke intended for people who are unable to do anything for themselves besides look at someone else and wish they could be trained like an animal to toss or catch something. Send this school back to the stone age and mortify the sports fans of the school who value ball-tossing over actual education.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Athletics scholarships largely exist to benefit the athletics programs. If those who run those programs are behaving like this, that whole thing is an issue. If these students are decent students in their own rights, this won't affect their long-term prospects.

If they're so good they have a shot at a pro career, they shouldn't have trouble transferring to another school, who'd be eager to pick up that kind of talent.
    That's not how it works. You can't just pack up your things and transfer into another school. It's not like talent is one dimensional either, some programs, offenses, and defenses, make better use of an athletes talent than others do. There's more than one way to be an effective quarterback, receiver, linemen, etc.

Also, Athletes don't just come barging in with the talent/skills needed to compete. Some athletes are projects and take time to develop into quality players.

So your "well if they're sooooogood" is bullshit because it ignores that reality.

- - - Updated - - -

OT: Punish the administrators and coaching staff involved after an investigation. Leave the players that had fuck all to do with it out of your crosshairs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    If Penn State didn't get it, Baylor wouldn't.

I think they both should for the record.
    Penn State got banned from playing in bowl games, which was kind of bullshit as well.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2016-08-20 at 08:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I thought this thread was about an entire university getting sentenced to death :/
    i would approve if it was draenei university.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    yes why would you execute a school sports team?
    Eric and Dylan to the rescue!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i would approve if it was draenei university.
    You never disappoint.

#deathtospacegoats
    You cared enough to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I don't live in my mother's basement, thank you very much I like running/hiking/camping/biking and will watch an occasional sports game, I just don't care much about competitive sports. Except for maybe the Olympics.
    Indeed, and even among those of us who watch competitive sports US slang terms aren't really that well known--well maybe among those who never leave the room, run out of sports events to watch from their own region and thus turn to American ones in their desperation to avoid leaving the couch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I thought this thread was about an entire university getting sentenced to death :/
    Nah, obviously the administration of the university is granted the right to issue death penalties!

Deleted
    Perhaps college students should circumvent private campus police departments and report incidents to local police departments directly.
    perhaps colleges shouldn't have anything to do with law and order?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    Penn State got banned from playing in bowl games, which was kind of bullshit as well.
    well they should clearly be punished less, after all at Baylor they allegedly raped women, instead of actually guaranteed rapes of boys.
    But you know, we live in a culture that hates women, just hates 'them'

ED - Since i last read up on this it seems a -singular - conviction for second degree assault has been secured.
    which gives us a nice formula, whatever Penn state got divided by the 45 convictions sandusky got.
    Last edited by mmocfd561176b9; 2016-08-20 at 02:41 PM.

That's not how it works. You can't just pack up your things and transfer into another school. It's not like talent is one dimensional either, some programs, offenses, and defenses, make better use of an athletes talent than others do. There's more than one way to be an effective quarterback, receiver, linemen, etc.

Also, Athletes don't just come barging in with the talent/skills needed to compete. Some athletes are projects and take time to develop into quality players.

So your "well if they're sooooogood" is bullshit because it ignores that reality.

- - - Updated - - -

OT: Punish the administrators and coaching staff involved after an investigation. Leave the players that had fuck all to do with it out of your crosshairs.

- - - Updated - - -

Permanently? Color me shocked.

Yeah I understand it sucks for the town, the students, and the players, but I'm of the firm believe that unless people demonstrate a strictness and harshness about universities that allowed things to fester like Penn and Baylor, then people will continue to push the limits under the guise of "whats the worst that can happen, me just resigning?
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    Permanently? Color me shocked.

Yeah I understand it sucks for the town, the students, and the players, but I'm of the firm believe that unless people demonstrate a strictness and harshness about universities that allowed things to fester like Penn and Baylor, then people will continue to push the limits under the guise of "whats the worst that can happen, me just resigning?
    No. It was only for a few years.

What makes you so sure?

I'm wondering how well-known this term is in regards to sports.
    Very well known for anyone who actually watches sports, especially college football.

Anyway, you don't get the death penalty for this. Has to be way more serious and way more systemic.

Compare this to SMU and it just doesn't even make sense to consider it.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by chipwood View Post
    Amongst sports fans, it's a well-recognized term. Amongst computer nerds who live in their mother's basement... probably not so much.
    Insinuating that the world is somehow a dichotomy between "sports fans" and "computer nerds who live in their mother's basement".

I guess you would blow your mind over a small thing such as a "sports fan who's also a computer nerd who lives in their mother's basement".
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Insinuating that the world is somehow a dichotomy between "sports fans" and "computer nerds who live in their mother's basement".

I guess you would blow your mind over a small thing such as a "sports fan who's also a computer nerd who lives in their mother's basement".
    No, but it'probably a rarity.

I can estimate the number of people that would fall under this in the sports threads I post in.

Expect for the FGC (and obviously 2K and Madden), sports and video games don't mesh.

No, but it'probably a rarity.

I can estimate the number of people that would fall under this in the sports threads I post in.

Expect for the FGC (and obviously 2K and Madden), sports and video games don't mesh.
    Putting aside the fact that even 1 person who falls into both categories would utterly destroy the statement earlier, you are honestly using MMOC as your primary window to your worldview?
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Putting aside the fact that even 1 person who falls into both categories would utterly destroy the statement earlier, you are honestly using MMOC as your primary window to your worldview?
    I'd hope you'd put aside the first part, because I was agreeing with you. Drone.

It isn't just MMOC. It's mostly personal experience with MMOC included. It doesn't mesh well at all, probably because video games and tech had a specific demographic of people (socially awkward people) unless it was Madden/NBA games. They might have an interest in team sports, but it never grew into anything noteworthy because they sucked at sports growing up or couldn't get along with their teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Hey Guys,

For those of you who don't know Baylor University is a private Baptist university in Waco, Texas. They are also alright at football. During 2016 Baylor has been in some deep shit for ignoring sexual victims. People say it's unlikely Baylor will get the death penalty but nothing is impossible. So do you think Baylor needs the death penalty?

This also made my blood boil
    Only if the players from that sports team were the ones that sexually assaulted the women. Also, I would only ban the sport that those players competed in. Why should innocent players be penalized? They should be banned from football as it was the football program that seemed to cover this up. How would you feel if it was your wife, sister or daughter that was victimized?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    Only if the players from that sports team were the ones that sexually assaulted the women. Also, I would only ban the sport that those players competed in. Why should innocent players be penalized? They should be banned from football as it was the football program that seemed to cover this up. How would you feel if it was your wife, sister or daughter that was victimized?
    "I know you love playing football and need as much time as possible to develop before making a leap into the NFL draft--where more dreams die than come to life, but my wife/daughter was raped and it was covered up!". I know that you had nothing to do with it, but fuck you."

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    The problem here, is that the NCAA is the body that has the authority to impose the death penalty, but in this case, they lack the jurisdiction. It's a little like asking, Does Baylor University deserve to be sent to the Phantom Zone. Well, maybe they do, but there's no one here from Krypton who has the authority to do it.

You don't think your thread title is a tad misleading...that is the stupidest phrase for a sports related penalty that I've ever come across...

OT: I don't care about sports, especially collegiate sports, so I couldn't care less. Why do people attend universities where more funding goes towards sports than education?
    A lot of these big football programs actually make the universities profit. Ohio State for example makes enough money off football to support every single varsity sports program they have, over 35 I believe, and still net the university a profit. They actually make more money than the Browns do, and a LOT of other professional sports teams.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    The problem here, is that the NCAA is the body that has the authority to impose the death penalty, but in this case, they lack the jurisdiction. It's a little like asking, Does Baylor University deserve to be sent to the Phantom Zone. Well, maybe they do, but there's no one here from Krypton who has the authority to do it.
    The NCAA has the power to keep other teams from being able to play against Baylor, they just probably won't. They certainly have the power to keep them out of bowl games which will force recruits away from from Baylor and hurt the program in its own way.

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesPierre View Post
    The NCAA has the power to keep other teams from being able to play against Baylor, they just probably won't. They certainly have the power to keep them out of bowl games which will force recruits away from from Baylor and hurt the program in its own way.
    And they have to power to impose the death penalty. But they don't have the jurisdiction. Meaning Baylor has to have broken NCAA regulations. I don't know that they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    And they have to power to impose the death penalty. But they don't have the jurisdiction. Meaning Baylor has to have broken NCAA regulations. I don't know that they did.
    Im pretty sure that if trading memorabilia for tattoos or taking 20 bucks from a booster is against regs, systemic covering up of rape is also.