Leveling- Vengeance or Havoc?

In the end I'm pretty sure I want to main tanking but for leveling which spec will be easier or faster or better?

Vengeance can pull more mobs and maybe solo some elites?

Havoc on the other hand has a massive speed increase. Well it's 22% with my current invasion gear and it feels soooo slow in tank spec.

Thoughts?

I leveled a DH to 110 as both on beta. I didn't particular feel a difference, though some have. I will be leveling as Havoc. If you are maining as Vengeance and have not played one on beta, I suggest you just stick it out leveling wise to get more of a feel for talents and spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leblue View Post
    Also, everything Misume said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    If you don't want to reposition rotationally, don't main a Havoc Demon Hunter.

well I know just in Tanaan, time to kill might be slower for vengeance, but you can solo any rare and handle just about as many mobs as you could possibly pull in a given area including throne; while havoc's time to kill might be faster, it is not always possible to solo every rare if you stick to the optimal talents at 100 for damage; maybe with more purple souls popping on the ground it can happen, but not as practical with demon blades.

Legion should be pretty packed though, even with the phasing/sharding tech ... and with mob tag sharing as well; you probably won't have many issues with being overrun or have an issue with rares unless you really find yourself ahead of the curve or just happen to find a path less traveled, which seems unlikely.

I'd second the sentiment of playing what you plan to main, especially if you haven't experienced it at 110; this will allow you to adapt to the talents as you get them and have your muscle memory down; again, with all the people, ttk won't be much of an issue, your survivability will be extremely high, and many people will silently thank you for being someone holding aggro when it does come to rares/elites (take for example the way lowbies are zerging the invasions, when there is no tank, the final boss just runs around one shotting whichever dps is pulling aggro at the time).

For speed, remember when not mounted, to use your leap and your immolation aura's speed increase; those will get you around fast enough for any non-mounted non-combat movement you will usually need to do.
    My PC Build 4790k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.28v; 1080 @ +175 core, +500 memory

Vengeance all the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am going to level havoc, but it is easy to maintain the offspec artifact (apparently), so can switch to vengance if needed.

Deleted
    Havoc.

No point in going Vengeance to kill rares till 110, or you will lose out on ilvls.

Just something to keep in mind, there are going to be so many people leveling over the coming weeks that the chances of you going 1v1 agaisnt a rare is tiny.

Ignoring the above, I leveled as Havoc on the beta and had no issues at all.

Honestly, I had more fun with Vengeance out of the gate while leveling. Can pull multiple groups (Glaive + Sigils + Strike = Fun to me) and walk away with nearly full health afterwards. Less downtime between pulls spent grabbing soul fragments while moving on. Havoc's mobility is good, but you may start to feel the lack of AP on the glaives as you start getting closer to 110 if you are maining Vengeance.

Overall, you may get a slight savings overall from Havoc maybe? But I'm not sure it'd be worth it. This is the first expansion I'll be leveling in tank spec myself, since it is the first where it actually feels where tanks can roll through the content at a similar clip to DPS if they play smartly, pull groups, etc.

IMHO, the difference will be so negligible that you're best off playing the spec you plan to raid on. The class is new to all of us and it will be good to spend the extra time tweaking your UI, building muscle memory, etc. All those little improvements you'll make because you've spent time in it.
    Last edited by Felfaadaern Darkterror; 2016-08-27 at 10:32 PM. Reason: typo

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Deleted
    Well I'd go with spec which you gonna main. Since vengeful can pull nice damage too. Especially if you mix questing with dungeons and also if you level with friend.

DPS is almost exclusively faster than tanking specs for killing.

That said, the difference these days is not totally dramatic, and playing the spec you enjoy (and want to practice with) makes sense.

In short... it really doesn't matter that much, but Havoc is probably slightly better overall.

pick whichever you want. they both have so little down time. Vengeance can pull as much as they want and not worry about their health, but havoc can do the same because of shattered souls. facepull into everything, aoe them down and by the time everything dies, you have tons of soul fragments to keep you going.

Deleted
    i will go havoc i think x

Quote Originally Posted by Caeth View Post
    In the end I'm pretty sure I want to main tanking but for leveling which spec will be easier or faster or better?

Havoc on the other hand has a massive speed increase. Well it's 22% with my current invasion gear and it feels soooo slow in tank spec.

Thoughts?
    1) level vengeance if you are maining it, no downside to it.

2) infernal strike can literally let you climb sheer mountains. use it more for general travel, as well as pop immolation aura more for the run-speed when you are indoors and just wanna get from a to b faster.

I think that you should level up in the specs you are targeting to play at 110 because of the artefact.

I always play tank and always level up as a tank since BC, i like the rythme, i like the lack of downtime and how i can just charge an named elite and kill it without worry.