Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

UN declared antibiotic resistance “the greatest and most urgent global risk.”

An extraordinary gathering at the United Nations on September 21 may have permanently changed how the world deals with antibiotic resistance, which is believed to kill 700,000 people around the world each year.

During the UN meeting, the entire assembly signed on to a political declaration that calls antibiotic resistance “the greatest and most urgent global risk.” But it is what they do next that will determine whether the threat can really be contained.

And alarming news announced while the meeting was happening made clear how urgent it is that antibiotic resistance be reined in.

At a simultaneous meeting in Atlanta, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) disclosed that the sexually transmitted disease gonorrhea—which has become steadily more drug-resistant over several years—has taken a dramatic turn toward becoming untreatable.

Meanwhile, a multinational research team announced that they have identified a new strain of the drug-resistant staph bacterium MRSA that appears to be traveling on poultry meat.
    (source)

The growth of antibiotic resistance is IMHO a much more dire threat than Putin or even ISIS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're working on multiple different solutions so we'll be fine, mostly

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    We're working on multiple different solutions so we'll be fine, mostly
    This isn't a crisis in isolation. It's part of a much bigger issue involving climate checking. uncontrolled population growth and the weakening of global institutions.

If you're over 30, you get to the see the world turn to shit before you die BUT if you are able to read this you are probably wealthy enough to mitigate MOST of the effects that are coming our way.

Basically, if you're under 30, you get to see the world burn but you might live long enough to see some actual goddamn solutions begin to take shape. You are also likely to be able to mitigate most of the effects coming your way because of your wealth.

If you're poor and live in a third world country...

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    (source)

The growth of antibiotic resistance is IMHO a much more dire threat than Putin or even ISIS.
    So it's not global warming anymore?

Well, yeah. There are lots of problems more important than ISIS. Mostly it's because we aren't good judges of danger; things that are more dangerous but are a ways away take up less of our attention than things that are less dangerous but happening right now, with the end effect being that we don't adequately prepare for the problems that we know are worse and imminent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    (source)

Who do you think Put the antibiotic rebels in?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    So what's the solution? If you get an infection just stay home and hope you don't die?

We did that back in the day... Didn't work too well.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Very funny, both are critical problems that we're ignoring now, to our detriment later on.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Don't worry, global warming will screw over the poor and antibiotic resistant diseases will screw over the rich.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    So what's the solution? If you get an infection just stay home and hope you don't die?

We did that back in the day... Didn't work too well.
    No. If you get an infection you use antibiotics.

The solution is to stop the ridiculous amounts of unnecessary antibiotics being stuffed into every hygene and cleaning product, and stop prescribing antibiotics for things that don't need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post

The solution is to stop the ridiculous amounts of unnecessary antibiotics being stuffed into every hygene and cleaning product, and stop prescribing antibiotics for things that don't need them.
    Vast majority is used in industrial livestock farming, though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Global Warming? You mean -Climate Change-

That's the current cool word.

It will likely change in a few years to refresh itself.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Don't worry, global warming will screw over the poor and antibiotic resistant diseases will screw over the rich.
    Not to go into that territory, but we do need to have our favorite horseman of the Apocalypse.... the Pale Horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess you can't stop bacteria forever. It's going to adapt and evolve to you until you find something like nanomachines to deal with it.

also, it might sound stupid, but STOP flushing old medications down the toilet. you're breeding drug resistant bacteria.

Deleted

also people need to actually finish their course of antibiotics, not just stop once they feel better, too many do that .

There are numerous strains that have been cultured and are simply waiting to be used in the future for this exact scenario. There's nothing to really worry about.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Global Warming? You mean -Climate Change-

That's the current cool word.

It will likely change in a few years to refresh itself.
    Look, I know I've pointed this out to you multiple times as have other people, but both terms have been in use for basically the whole time. Sit down and think about what "IPCC" stands for, particularly the "CC" part. And the IPCC was formed before the cool thing to do on the skeptic side was pretend like there was a name switch, as if that even constituted an argument against it.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh lord, can we PLEASE keep threads not even about Climate change from turning into climate change?

thanks.

OT: Id believe it. The potential body count is much higher (exception: ISIS gets a nuke / Putin loses his mind and uses a nuke)

15+ Year Old Account
    I took the liberty of creating a sketch of our new enemy.

Hopefully the artistic liberty will show the severity.