Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

Will anyone look back fondly at the 2000-2010's?

I'm thinking maybe the first couple of years of 2000...not so sure about the rest. Thank god I still have my 80's and most of the 90's to reminisce about.

I think the simple aspect of the awkwardness of the 00's and the 10's not matching the fluidity of saying the 20's, 30's and so on makes the years less relatable. It's strange but I truly believe this.

Why wouldn't they? Do you think your personal experience for that duration of time is the same as everyone else's?

Of course. Nostalgia and romanticism are present throughout history.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    last 15 years seems like shit to me. Nothing redeeming about it at all except for internet speeds.

I kind of look at it as kind of the last time music/pop culture was scary or shocking. Being an angsty teenager was a lot more fun when you could shock old people.

Times are good right now, economy is going fine, there are all kinds of tech to play with. I can't see why I would want to go back to an older period.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Considering last century, zeros and tens are kinda bundled up when thinking about culture trends. Maybe we care more about things starting on 20's.
    Someone will be nostalgic about some specific years, but I'm not sure what they'll point at.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I can look fondly back at 2011-present...it is when I made an account here lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Thank god I still have my 80's and most of the 90's to reminisce about.
    The 70's I have some memories of and by the time the 80's hit I'd discovered beer, women and motorcycles.

90's was raising children......

2000's was seeing children turn into adults, as painful as that may be.

2010's is children repaying all my hard work to raise them by giving me more children to look after when they decide to go out for the night

Wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Life is good, regardless of the decade

It will be considered the tech boom 100 years from now because that's when smart phones were invented. This era definitely changed the world drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    last 15 years seems like shit to me. Nothing redeeming about it at all except for internet speeds.
    Agreed. The irony is the fact humankind is now stuck on screens (from smartphones to tablets to computers) from morning to evenings. I kind of miss the 90s when we actually had to be outside much more. But then again I was not working and highly active in sports back then (rugby / martial arts). So my vision is probably biased.
    Now working in finance and loving video games mean at least 10-12 hours a day in front of screens for me.

On a side note: music wise, not much will ever beat the early 90s grunge etc. Listening to todays hipster rocker with a beard and a banjo or justin bieber & co makes me depressed and sad for my daughter who has to grow up in that.

Political wise here in Europe: 90s were better as well. Lower unemployment, better stability and less extremism (right wing or religious).
    Last edited by Gratlim; 2016-09-30 at 11:31 PM.

Whilst many horrible things happened in the world during that decade, it was my happiest time in life. I had my dog, my family situation became stable and I was still young enough during most of the decade to be able to just enjoy living by the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think one of my very first threads here was "do you have a smartphone?" and people replying that shit is not necessary...good times.

2000-2009 was just as good and bad as 70-79, 80-89, 90-99. Each decade had great things and really terrible things. Sure the 80's and 90's seemed great in hindsight, but then you remember shit like the Cold War. Gee wiz I sure love living in a time period when nukes are prepared to fall from the sky at any time

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    90s were the good times new millenium sucks ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    2000-2010 had the best videogames imho. It's something I guess

Deleted
    "back in my day everything was better and we didn't do this shit the youngsters do" is something every generation says. or rather every human past early/mid thirties.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    "back in my day everything was better and we didn't do this shit the youngsters do" is something every generation says. or rather every human past early/mid thirties.
    That's just so not true.

It's nothing more than your own perception.

But what is indeed true, that with every generation to come, there will always be someone making the exact same claim you've just made now.
    I've heard it before, and will certainly hear it again.
    It's quite frankly a little small spirited to think that way. It's ignoring how there are billions of people with vastly different views and opinions.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Playing wow non stop. Met my wife. Had my first kid. Started my career. Yes, I liked this time period.